It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:03 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:52 am 

chucker wrote:
I guess it's time to see how well this ignore feature works.

Works great, I clicked it and all of chucker's posts got zapped! Now how do I get 'em back?

Chucker? Chucker boy, you there?

...Chucker?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:32 pm 

I hate to be a downer here but I doubt the Iphone is going to be more powerful that your standard Smartphone, my Windows Mobile 5 device runs at 200Mhz, not because the 400Mhz clock speed would be better, but because you don't need a 400Mhz phone for Windows Mobile 5 (the 200mhz WM5 phone is much faster than my 400mhz Mobile 2003 phone.)

Niether have graphics cards which are great, or are even mentioned, yet both can play Divx movies and add enough sparkly effects that you wouldn't know. (Doom will also run on them)

Its taken years for Microsoft to get the phone OS right and its on board memory more, than clock speed which dictates the speed of their devices. Unless Apple write some really really awfull and inefficent software you'll likely see a 100Mhz or 200Mhz clock speed perhaps 400Mhz. The devices would cost a lot more if the speed were higher.

In short there as much chance of the Iphone will run Uru as there is my XDA Mini S running uru.

To summarise the summary, no.

ps your Iphone fans realise that PDA phones have been around for four years right? I've had a word processor, spreadsheet app, 1.3megapixel camera outlook syncer, 2gb MP3 player and phone for the best part of two years now and with o2 and orange you can generally get them for free on contract. This Iphone ain't revolutionary, or even new I doubt the first incarnation will be as good as the current WM5 phones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:33 pm 

apple should just change the name to 'ifone.' problem solved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

stevesy wrote:
apple should just change the name to 'ifone.' problem solved.

...except that they'd create a new problem - everyone would see Apple as an innept company who didn't give a shot about spelling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think that way about them already. :) Think different. No - think differently. It's an adverb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:00 pm 

The original iPod struck me as creative; storing digital music in a portable player without need for a cassette or disc.

But it's hard to get a phone that won't play music now. It's not a new idea anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rusty_Russell wrote:
I think that way about them already. :) Think different. No - think differently. It's an adverb.

And we already knew they can not spell eye. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:13 pm 

Quote:
everyone would see Apple as an innept company who didn't give a shot about spelling.

If not looking inept (for spelling or, more likely, otherwise) was the case then...

Quote:
What's not clear, though, is whether those prices are before or after any subsidies Cingular might offer to get people to sign up for service plans. (Carriers typically discount phones by $200 or so to entice people to sign up for extended plans. If $500 and $600 are prices without a subsidy and service contract commitment, it could be a decent deal.) But either way, at these prices Apple is probably locking itself out of a market that has been key to the iPod's success: the youth market. Cingular's sure to sell iPhones with plenty of talk time and an unlimited data usage, and I suspect such a plan will cost at least $90 a month. High school and college students can't afford that, and neither can many recent college grads.

Quote:
Also, Apple also decided to sign a multi-year exclusive deal with Cingular (T), which instantly makes it the enemy of not only every phone maker in the world, but also every other carrier in the United States – including giant Verizon (VZ). What's more, by announcing in January 2007 that the iPhone won't arrive in Asia until 2008, Apple has given electronics rivals Samsung and Sony (SNE) (among others) plenty of time to do their best phone work, release it first on their home turf, and even bring it to the U.S. to compete with the iPhone on every network but Cingular's.

(From here).

You can get away doing this if you've got a large cell phone portfolio like we do. It's the business kiss of death to screw yourself over like this being that exclusive with one (1) cell phone. The knock off kings in Asia will trump ya moments after word has leaked or you've announced the next-new-mobile-to-top-all-mobiles. The Mobile Phone segment is an awfully agressive one that take no prisoners. They entered into a marketspace that they're not creating, making business decision moves as if they were, and didn't even bother to read up on what the thorns are in the sides of their competition, let alone one-time partner when they licensed the "potted" iPod player component to Motorola. Fercryinoutloud - they should have at least bought a GSM component that was 3G compatible - instead they indicated they're only shipping with a 2G varient (per a "rebuttal" from Nokia's CEO basing his observation from on-site Nokia observers at CES earlier this week).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Stevecrox wrote:
ps your Iphone fans realise that PDA phones have been around for four years right? I've had a word processor, spreadsheet app, 1.3megapixel camera outlook syncer, 2gb MP3 player and phone for the best part of two years now and with o2 and orange you can generally get them for free on contract. This Iphone ain't revolutionary, or even new I doubt the first incarnation will be as good as the current WM5 phones.

Yes. And they all suck. I would rather have a cell phone that focuses on being a communication device - rather than a multimedia device. Heck, most suck at being a communication device.

A communication device CAN go beyond "call and be called" it CAN do email and other things, but frankly I do not have the time or patience for word processing on my cell phone. Unless it has voice recognition and I can do voice to text, forget it.

What Americans seem to forget is that phones with purely touch-screen interfaces tend to be more popular throughout Asia. My Asian friends see the tiny, covered in keys, cell phones we have here and laugh as they use a good touchscreen for all of their input.

The iPhone is one of the few phones that has most (not all, but most) of the features I want in a cell phone.

Now, if a cell phone is a computing/media device, in addition to being a communication device - there is nothing wrong with that, but I want it to do even more, plus have a good interface.

The Windows interface on cell phones sucks. I would take any of the Linux interfaces over it any day.

My desires in a cell phone with media capabilities:
1) Defaults to WiFi unless there is no WiFi (then support for 3G and the option to just turn off data - if I don't have WiFi, I rarely care about data);
2) Smooth design with quick response. No sitting around waiting for messages to send or be received all day or waiting for programs to open;
3) Overall good design, large LCD (I do not mind having a carrying case);
4) Touchscreen (keyboard option, but if it has one I want a slider);
5) Fits in my pocket (I have big pockets, but they are thin. I can not fit something much over a half inch deep, by eight inches, by six inches into it.);
6) Works as a cell phone in my home with no problem;
7) 48+ hours of standby time, if not being used for anything else.

The thing that kills the phones out there most of the time is auto-switching WiFi (with decent speeds), good standby time, and quick response.. The other thing that kills it is a slider keyboard vs touchscreen. And finally, I don't like things that pull my pants down.

And quite honestly I think having a camera in a phone is a waste of space. I want a phone that I can hook up to my wifi DLSR for additional storage or transmission of images, nothing more, nothing less. But the phone itself doesn't need a stupid camera.

Too bad the greenphone stats suck and it has no wifi :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:36 pm 

https://shop.o2.co.uk/phone/O2/XDA_Mini_S
http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/hand ... ay_monthly

Know your phones, WM5 solved all the input issues as Microsoft actually concentrated on making a Phone capable of one touch to use. Believe it or not I can operate the phone with my thumb and preform every function. Slightly drunken girls can pick it up, put there phone numbers in it, take a photo and then play solitare without effort. I've noticed most teenage girls aren't tech savy and anyone drunk is going to be a bit worse, so it is highly user friendly.

Sure it doesn't automatically default to Wifi, after all with the Wifi on, it only has 12 hours of battery, instead of the normal 4 days (with me listening to music almost constantly, while occasionally logging onto the web.)

https://shop.o2.co.uk/phone/O2/XDA_Orbit
Is an example of a more PDA styled phone having a high quality screen, in built GPS and GPS navigation software, faster chip but no sliding keyboard.

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/hand ... ay_monthly

I got the older model of the above phone 18 months ago the difference between the older model and that one is the older (m500) didnt have wifi, had a faster CPU and a 1.3megapixel camera. At the time O2 did a version known as the O2 XDA Mini which was the same but with a sliding keyboard.

Easy to use PPC's have been out for 18 months, depending on price you have been able to do everything you've specified. WM5 has brought one touch operation into reality (the older PPC's did require a pen) the way the memory is allocated means you don't end up with the slow downs you would get if you installed too much on the older models. WM5 isn't new I just missed out on it 18 months ago.

Don't get me wrong but Apple have never invented anything they used to make good packages. The Ipod with its 1gb - 10gb hard drives was a revolutionary idea because at the time it was released other MP3 players all used memory stick or smart media cards for memory. The biggest card was a memory stick at 256mb at the time. Being able to store hundred of songs instead of dozens made it a hit with us geeks. If my little sisters Ipod Nano is anything to go by they haven't kept with the times the interface is almost identical to the one from 2001. They road the cool wave from the geeks into the mainstream, thats how the IPhone is going to sell because of this 'coolness'.

I'm expecting the IPhone to be as good as the XDA Mini from three years ago (retired last year for my phone.) Which will make a good phone, but the thing is when my contract is up in 14 months time I may not upgrade my phone, because besides from a better camera I can't forsee a way to improve on it, i think the orbit listed above is a step backwards. XDA Mini S has all the tiny things in my Orange SPV m500 fixed (ok excusing the camera, which is improved but I whish they would use a decent cmos sensor.) Most of the WM5 do with diversity matching peoples wants.

I'm sorry for this somewhat out of place rant but for two years PPC's have been able to do what Maztec asks and I hate when people talk about stuff without knowing the facts, maybe in America this is new but not in europe.

ps (steves things he wanted fixed in his free on contract Orange SPV m500 from two years ago to show a balanced view)
more onboard memory (128mb instead of 64mb, not important on WM5)
Improved Internet Explorer (pocket explorer runs everything, 2003's didn't)
Slider keyboard (was available at the time but only with O2's XDA Mini)
Inbuilt Wifi (the m1000 and XDA both had this 2 years ago but cost £150 on contract)
One touch ability (kept losing the pen, WM5 don't need a pen)
Improved battery life (m500 had a days life (with heavy usage) WM5 phones are much more low powered for other reasons I'm getting 4 occassionally 5 days use without charge (calling listening to music and logging onto my universitys VPN via Wifi and typing up lab notes)
Light for camera (the camera sensor was cheap my Mini S has this but not all of them do)
An Off Switch (new to WM5 phones, something I love)

Today my list for the XDA Mini S and any WM5 based phone, is word 97 functionality in Word mobile (its about the same as word 6 atm) and a better camera. The idea of having 3G intrigues me but orange want money for that and I don't like signing up for 12 months and having to pay for my phone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:45 pm 

maztec wrote:
I would rather have a cell phone that focuses on being a communication device - rather than a multimedia device. Heck, most suck at being a communication device.

A-frellin'-MEN!!! The RF coverage maps look like a case of terminal acne, calls get dropped like a spastic juggler, and all the companies do is dream up more ways to sell us airtime. :evil:

Last edited by tkwiggins on Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Chucker said:
"No, Cisco has owned the "IPHONE" trademark for about a decade, but they've been negotiating with Apple.

No lawsuit."

That was day before yesterday; Cisco has now filed a lawsuit against Apple saying (in effect) that it has infringed upon Cisco's private property.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rusty_Russell wrote:

Hehe, too true :P.

Maybe a mod should move this thread to the off-topic forum, so that it doesn't get closed for being, err, off-topic. 'Twould be a shame to close it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oops. Know your market. Notice that all of those are UK phones :p

We Here are In the US OF A. We like blowing Iraqi's up, don't matter no whatsnot if htey're kurd, suni, or shiite, they're all living in a glass desert. (yes, sarcasm ppl)

The Orange is an awesome phone. But ditch the camera, no point in it..

And quite frankly, even with the latest Windows OS (yes, I've used preview models from MS) for the cell phones they still crash at least once a day.

Sorry, but my CELL PHONE SHOULD NOT REQUIRE ME TO TAKE OUT THE BATTERY TO GET IT WORKING AGAIN.

Now, whether the iPhone will do that or not - waits to be seen.

I've used tons of PDA phones and yet I still keep going back to my old candybar Nokia. Why? It's small, it gets excellent reception, its standby time is nearly 2 weeks, I get at least 14 hours talk time on it, and it does one thing well - make calls.

I wouldn't mind GPS in a phone - it has potential, but again not an ecessary feature. Although I would take GPS over a stupid camera any day.

Anyway, don't be quoting phones from O2 or I'll just start quoting phones from South Korea. We both lose because neither does me a bit of good inside the United States. Sure, I can order it, but I'm really up a crick without a paddle if it dies here. :\ I wouldn't mind a locally serviced phone that's decent for once.

----

tkwiggins, for sure. Actually, I'll speak up for Cingular. I almost never experience a dropped call and if I do it's because my phone is 4 years old. I keep trying new phones and keep sending them back.

My most basic of evaluative items for any cell phone that make me take it back or keep it are:

1) Works IN MY HOUSE (I have no landline, thank you very much)
2) Works 95% of the time along I-5 from My House to my Mother's House (600 miles).
3) Does not CRASH/FREEZE when I sneeze.
4) It fits in my pocket.
5) When a car drives past (either end) it doesn't sound like someone just stuck a frog in a blender due to distortion.
6) It works in the United States and is supported in the United States. (well this one is flexible)
7) It likes my wife.

and some other things that I forget. :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:41 pm 

mcbride3 wrote:
Chucker said:
"No, Cisco has owned the "IPHONE" trademark for about a decade, but they've been negotiating with Apple.

No lawsuit."

That was day before yesterday; Cisco has now filed a lawsuit against Apple saying (in effect) that it has infringed upon Cisco's private property.

Yes, this has been pointed out. When I made that post, they still claimed they won't file suit.

Of note, Cisco's general counsel wrote about this.

(Or something.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next