It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:50 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:40 am 
Obduction Backer

Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation, and End of Ages are all games, published by Cyan. They are games based on the story of the D'ni, Atrus, the journals, etc. They are artistic license, and not true, accurate representations of events. For example, you can hear the two brothers through linking panels, and can't see the ages they're stuck in behind them. Sound doesn't travel through linking panels, and what book would they have to look into to see you on the other side?

Now, Uru is considered to be 'canon'. That is, everything we see and hear and do in the cavern is 'true'. It reflects the reality of the D'ni, the Art, etc. The shutting down of the cavern restoration efforts actually happened. Until Uru really happened. The new funding really happened.

But what about Path of the Shell? The partial calibration of the GZ? What about all of that stuff that happened between the shut-down and Until Uru?

Perhaps that's really just a 'game' released by Cyan? Perhaps it's not truly 'storyline' in Live?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:50 am 

It is certainly possible that To D'ni and PotS aren't canon. We'll just have to wait to see how their content is incorporated into Live to find out.

KI# 45434

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:09 am 

It's confirmed that TPOTS and To D'ni as they are right now are NOT canon. The Ages might be incorporated with a similar story some time, but as they are right now they are not necessarily canon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:52 am 

lego_addict wrote:
It's confirmed that TPOTS and To D'ni as they are right now are NOT canon. The Ages might be incorporated with a similar story some time, but as they are right now they are not necessarily canon.

Then, is it confirmed (by whom) or is it not necessarily canon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:22 am 
Obduction Backer

Any detail about canon is from RAWA on the DRC forum. PotS isn't. Ahnonay and Er'cana are to be 'repurposed'. The best indication that Ahnonay will be back as part of the new storyline is that a screenshot of it appears in the media set above (along with Delin and Tsogahl).

RAWA and canon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

lego_addict wrote:
It's confirmed that TPOTS and To D'ni as they are right now are NOT cannon.

Yes, I'm pretty sure they're not a large heavy gun usually mounted on a carriage. :P

The question of whether the xpacks are canonical (with one n) IMHO is still open, because I doubt that all those who played the xpacks will pretend they've never seen Er'cana, Ahnonay or the Great Shaft in the past just because Cyan decided to play the big retcon button.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Things like the expansion packs could easily be explained as Cyan being taken to those places, and Cyan recreating them (and altering them) for a single-player adventure/experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:20 pm 

Ian Atrus wrote:
lego_addict wrote:
It's confirmed that TPOTS and To D'ni as they are right now are NOT cannon.

Yes, I'm pretty sure they're not a large heavy gun usually mounted on a carriage. :P

The question of whether the xpacks are canonical (with one n) IMHO is still open, because I doubt that all those who played the xpacks will pretend they've never seen Er'cana, Ahnonay or the Great Shaft in the past just because Cyan decided to play the big retcon button.

It's like juries. They really can't "disregard counsel's last statement," even when instructed to. What's heard cannot be unheard. Especially as we all have access to the Uru CC, those things will never be unseen.

I think in the end we may just have to make a mental divide, all of us, and let them exist in parallel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

What do you do when you see them again under a new guise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:38 pm 

I have to agree with Moleculor's approach. It seems like the only way to make it all fit comfortably together.

Anything we've seen in an official online incarnation -- Prologue, D'mala before the 20th, UL starting on the 20th -- has been clearly stated to be canon. No such statements have been made regarding the expansion packs, and we have already seen some of the XP content presented in a different order or in a different manner in UL. I don't see any good way to shoehorn the XPs into canon, and any retcon that attempts to do this is going to be full of holes.

The simplest way out is to simply declare the XPs as games, giving them the same status as those in the Myst series: actual history presented with artistic license. Some people don't like such layered metafiction, but that has long been the nature of the D'niverse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:04 pm 

I think the whole thing, including End of Ages could easily be explained using the "Dallas Clause" -- It was all a dream.

Perhaps all the URU that we experienced before this point. was some sort of dream, vision, premonition -- perhaps telepathically communicated by Yeesha & other D'nites. Perhaps it's part of what is drawing everyone to the cleft. Each aspect of the original URU reflects possibilities of what could happen, but not neccessarily what will happen. The dream affected many people, including the historians, which so firmly believed that these events happened that they wrote them down as inspired verse. Being in the cavern now, is a little like Deja Vu. (by the way, if "Path" is not the next journey, then the hologram should be changed in my opinion)

Gathered Restorers Awaiting To Explore For URU Lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:38 pm 

Oh and when I think about all those many hours I have been sitting trying to solve the puzzles! What a waste of time ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:52 pm 

You were prepared, this time around, weren't you!
:D

Gathered Restorers Awaiting To Explore For URU Lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:55 pm 

Well... I guess I'm still dreaming. Then I can look forward to playing the whole thing again when I wake up :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:58 pm 

BTW, Doug do you have your logo graphics on a slow server? I need to hit F5 several times until it is shown. Though not important, the server may have trouble...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next