It is currently Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:16 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:27 pm 

While it's sad that this chapter of Uru is over, it just means that much more is to come! I appreciate all that Cyan did to help us keep this story going. Until Uru is the Past, and without it we wouldn't be at the Present. Don't dwell on it though! I'm way more interested in looking to the Future!

Honestly, since UL has been online, how many of us have been on UU? I haven't, for one... It's old and defunct and takes up room on my hard-drive I'd rather use for new MOUL content.

Thanks for the memories Cyan, and for keeping us going "Until" Uru has begun to breath again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:32 pm 

TomahnaGuy wrote:
That box is our shard! I don't wanna let it go! :? :(

It's not going anywhere yet. I'm sure something will come down the pipe that Cyan will distribute to us so that user created content can get a multi-user test before it gets submitted for official assimilation. (If not ... cyantists, consider this a suggestion)

Besides, this can let us get in to character and be the guild of Technologists studying D'ni technology and creating wild theories about how much balonium it takes to power a KI across ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:37 pm 

Le Uru est mort, vive le Uru! Let the revolution begin :lol:

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Can someone explain "user generated content" to me? Did people make custom ages for UU? Where can I play these ages?

I have a UU account, but never used it much, and now I'm sad to hear that I may have totally missed out on this aspect of the game :-( at least until MOUL incorporates it (not soon, I imagine...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

No more Until Uru.....only Uru. In fact, Myst Online: Uru Live! Who would have imagined that when UU first went up? Not me. For me, UU was a Band Aid...to help with the pain of Live's cancellation. I stuck with it for two years. Finally it was announced last May that there was no more Until needed. Live was once more upon us. I can't wait. The re-unification of the Explorers is awesome. Thank you for the Band Aid Cyan. It came off without the slightest discomfort.

I don't know why...but I can't wait to explore with some Slackers. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, Until Uru was an awesome experience and I will never forget it. I made many friends there all over the world and it's close to my heart. Thank you very much, Cyan, for allowing UU to exist. And also, thank you to all the shard owners for the wonderful opportunity.

I only stumbled upon this announcement. Can it be posted in other places?

Last edited by Rik on Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Like TomahnaGuy I'm a bit stunned and upset.

Not as much as TomahnaGuy apparently (I don't plan on quitting MOUL).

Professor Askew, It may be painless to you...but not to me.

My shard is a part of my life...I tinker with it's hardware, I try to work out ways to improve and speed up backups...

I can let my kids log into my shard and let them experience the wonder of URU without having to worry about them over much...yeah I could probably do the same on MOUL...but my shard is part of my HOME.

So I have to ask...is there any way that the shards that WANT to keep going can do so?

I'm sure one of us would volunteer to run the Auth and Data servers...heck I'd volunteer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:55 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

I have no self-interest on this issue because I never got a Kagi Key and Uru Live is fine for me instead of D'mala. However, if you wish to continue the use of your own shards, perhaps you should gather a group to lobby Cyan for a patch to release the independent authorization requirement and move it to your own shards. Or at least put the authorization server into a public trust of some sort to have it maintained and legally secure so Cyan would not have to tend to it.

Because the keys are limited to those already in existence, surely this is not a question of fracturing the community or about loss of income for Uru Live. Therefore, I think it would be reasonable to expect Cyan to consider this request from a small group of enthusiasts to whom Cyan and Uru owes its own continued existence. I would urge Cyan to consider a good plan which they can trust and allows them to concentrate solely on current efforts. But it's a fair warning that if the shard owners cannot gather up a significant portion of themselves and their members to present a proposal to Cyan, then it's really not worth doing. And in a matter of good taste and politeness, I suggest you do not make such a process visible on any official Cyan forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

I had hoped that Until Uru could still be a refuge for people who do not live in one of the 14 supported countries. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Until Uru was, as the name implied, a place to visit, until Uru could truly live again.

I do not mean to dismiss or disregard the many good times that people have enjoyed in Until Uru. I have many happy memories there myself. But sometimes we must let go of someone or something we've loved, knowing that time goes on, and we all want to go to a better place. It is time for Until Uru to move on to its better place, and for us to move on with our lives and on to our better place. Uru Live.

Let us please not mar the memory of Until Uru with fighting over its closure. Instead, let our community grow stronger as we move into Uru Live and embrace the opportunity to bring the Uru experience to many new people who would likely have never heard of Until Uru, but who will discover Uru Live as it is promoted to the world.

Long Live Uru Live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:07 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

P.S. To Cyan:

Absent any other considerations, I would hope that you permanently build into Myst Onlline: Uru Live a visible (i.e. neither obscure, nor an an easter egg) monument to the Until Uru shards and members that kept the idea alive. Maybe even make it a contest.

I would also hope that if there is absolutely, positively, and unequivocally no hope of preserving existing access to Until Uru shards in any form whatsoever, that you explicitly state it plainly now rather than allow a movement to grow and waste its time. Or, if you are willing to consider a plan which releases Cyan from any and all support, say that as well. This would also serve to limit any strife here on these forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Having Live as the only choice will bring the entire community to the same place. Until Uru was never meant to be a permanent choice. In fact, it was never even guaranteed to stay online. We should be thankful that we've had the opportunity to continue playing together at some capacity until the day we are able to receive Cyan's vision.

UU was never Cyan's intended application of Uru. Cyan is a business. If they wanted people to play their game for free, then we would never see new content, nor probably a game at all. Uru Live will evolve and grow, giving context to those Ages, people, and places. We now have reason to play, and Uru won't be just a simple community hangout, making our time spent in D'ni far more interesting and justified. The benefits far outweigh the concerns.

Last edited by Daedalus on Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:18 pm 

Well said, Marten.

Cyan created UU in the first place because the community said "We won't let UruLive go!". Cyan listened, saw the great response to UU, and brought UL back.

I am sure that Cyan put a great deal of thought into this sad painful decision, and I know that they are well aware of how much time and effort the shard owners have put into keeping Uru alive.

I do think that this news might have gone over less hard and sudden, if Cyan had contacted the shard owners privately to let them know this decision before posting it here. But what's done is done.

You have done a wonderful job, all Until Uru Shard owners, a huge THANK YOU for keeping our dream alive!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

To this of you that are upset: Get a grip. This has been coming down the pipes since the announcement that Uru Live was going to return. It makes sense from both a business perspective and a resources perspective. The server that is the UU auth server can and should be used for other things (Like Uru Live).

On the other hand. I understand why you are upset and to some extent I am also. I put a lot of time and effort into getting UntilUru started, approved, and into existence.

Cyan is working to involve the community in the process of user-created content. Members of the community have been creating their own ages, content, additions to ages, and tools for content creation for several years. The future will see more of this develop. Cyan and GameTap recognize the potential behind user-generated content, whether it is an age, new clothes, or a wall hanging. They are working to engage the community in this process.

But, it must be kept in mind that Cyan is also working on bringing their own new content and improvements to the game. This is there foremost concern at this time - improving the game experience. We, as a community stand behind this - and look forward to the future.

I understand the frustration to lose the stroller that has kept us on our feet for these past several years. But it is not the end of the world and a new golden age of Uruness has the potential to be around the corner as long as we continue working together.

- Maz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm sorry, but this whole "Let's give Until Uru a noble farewell" is incredibly paternalistic. The shard owners have their own feelings, and to be told they should not have those feelings, that they ought to smile and suck it up, all for the greater glory of Cyan and Uru Live, belittles those feelings. JW’s proposal would respect those feelings, and as long as technical or legal considerations do not stand in the way, I would hope Cyan does everything in its power to pursue something along those lines.

Last edited by Zardoz on Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next