It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:15 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 27  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rex Havoc wrote:
Hmm, Maz, there is a way to get dial-up to work? :) I am able to get on at work and have brought all the files home with me. I just can't get past the initial update at the very beginning of the game. (Dial-up mode) It finishes the update, then end up with the dreaded 0 sec message that never goes away. Greydragon indicated it was a timing/timeout issue.

Well, was for a while, I got on back in December once. Sounds like Cyan is going to have to change something on their end or have to keep people from logging in. It probably does some type of ping response that requires you to respond within a set time or not sync. :( Might be a way around it, not thinking of a decent one off hand. I would have to play with dialup. Then again, I believe the 0 second issue plagues some other people, so maybe we will see a fix for it eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:50 pm 

Well, I'm sad for one. There are people with the 0 sec issue who "CAN"T be a part of Uru Live. At least with Until Uru, they were able to participate in something. Now, they'll be left with nothing. C'est la vie I guess. /shrug

Good luck to Cyan obviously, but I'm sad at seeing UU die for good, honestly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

This was inevitable. The whole 'until' thing. Even at Mysterium, Rand was noncommital about the future of UU. It sucks, it's sad, it hurts. But being furious over it? Well, that's a bit like lashing out that your temporary gym pass has expired. Even if they extended it out longer than you expected, there was the whole 'temporary' thing stamped across the front.

There should, no there MUST, be some way of honoring, in MOUL, the shard owners who kept the torch burning. Without them, we wouldn't be facing an HONEST TO MAKER URU LIVE on Feb 15th.

And I wouldn't be at all supprised if there's plans in the works for something similar to UU, just for testing out user created content. Sometimes, you have to take one structure down, to make a stable place for another.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:59 pm 

I know that Until Uru has allowed us to enjoy the cavern while we waited for Uru Live,
but it is still sad that it has to go. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:11 pm 

I'm happy that this means Uru Live is moving foward.
I don't really care about the 'art' or the user created Ages there. But I'll be very sad if this means people without access to broadband or in one of the unsupported countries won't be able to play any kind of online Uru anymore. :(
I hope they give some way for people with dial-up to join MO:UL.

Last edited by www2 on Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: "STANDALONE GAME"
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:22 pm 

I don't know if this applies to those folks who are currently unable to access Live via Gametap. I saw the following in an email I got today from them:

"In case the phrase "around the world" caught your eye - it's true. While GameTap isn't yet available outside of the United States or Canada, Myst Online will be available as a standalone game in several international countries. A full list of countries is available at www.gametap.com/mystonline and if a friend of yours lives in any of those countries, he or she will be able to sign up for Myst Online and the two of you can play together in the same world"

I hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:30 pm 

Uru breathes again...that's not an opinion, that's a fact.

Until Uru was the reason I [re]joined the community. The first day I got my Kagi KI, I linked to the GoG shard and learned what a great community this is. I became an "Uru acrobat" of sorts, getting on tent roofs and pub ceilings, and used my UserKI to illuminate the cavern. We mourned the death of Cyan there, we praised the return of the DRC there, and now, with Until Uru's final breath, we celebrate the return of Uru Live. Goodbye, UU. Uru lives again...

[/profound]. I'm glad the community is more receptive to the idea than a few months ago. Keep in mind, however, this is still no excuse to flame.

KI #00072427[Kedry]
"Conjecture is not fact, and opinion is not fact, and no matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true." - Shaun Lyon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's not only the shard owners who kept the torch burning for uru, but all explorers visiting the private shards as well. Seeing the less priviledged ones (ie. outside the 14 countries) now being left out in the dark makes me really unhappy. Why not leave data and auth server up and running until GT has completed their homework to sort out international selling?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Past the 15th, we won't need to wait until Uru anymore. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:55 pm 

This sucks sorry
Sorry but all I read here is those that have and those that don't
Until Uru at the moment is for those that don't it's there only refuge UNTIL
Gametap fixes Dial up and includes teh other countries and 0 Sec bugs
A community divided again is what I see :(

It would not be costing Cyan any money keeping the private shards open oh sorry a little extra power for the
auth server and maybe a reboot when it needs it but would not take that much resources away from the main objective MOUL. :)

I hope they change their minds and leave it open AS IS no fixes no new stuff just as is
UNTIL everyone in the myst world has access to MOUL.

Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Geron wrote:
It's not only the shard owners who kept the torch burning for uru, but all explorers visiting the private shards as well. Seeing the less priviledged ones (ie. outside the 14 countries) now being left out in the dark makes me really unhappy. Why not leave data and auth server up and running until GT has completed their homework to sort out international selling?

Because there will -always- be a country, somewhere, that GameTap does not provide service to due to legal considerations. Do you really want -Cyan- (not GameTap, Cyan) paying to support a system that earns them nothing until the day that Kenya gets GameTap access?

Shadowcats wrote:
This sucks sorry
Sorry but all I read here is those that have and those that don't
Until Uru at the moment is for those that don't it's there only refuge UNTIL
Gametap fixes Dial up and includes teh other countries and 0 Sec bugs
A community divided again is what I see :(

It's Cyan who you're talking about, not GameTap (unless there's some form of problem with the GT interface and dial-up modems), but Uru -requires- a broadband connection anyway, so dial-up users can't play. (Yes, I realize that UU and the original Uru was playable on a dial-up modem, but that was then, and this is now, and believe me, I sincerely doubt Cyan could EVER make the current Uru work on a dial-up modem. If you think Delin is hard to solve now... heh.)

Last edited by Moleculor on Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:02 am 

Actually Moleculor I do its good marketing at a very cheap price since all the investment involved is keeping a server up and connected. It provides a showcase for the game and maintains interest in those countries Gametap is currently unable to service. The actual time consuming and therefore expensive part of maintaining Until Uru is done by the shards owners.

On a side note whilst technically this is the correct thread for this announcement to be posted in. Its of such importance it really should be in the Announcements and News section. Posting here feels like burying bad news.

Last edited by darkstar on Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:04 am 
Obduction Backer

darkstar wrote:
On a side note whilst technically this is the correct thread for this announcement to be posted in. Its of such importance it really should be in the Announcements and News section. Posting here feels like burying bad news.

Why is this -bad- news?

Hello? Cyan's confident enough in getting launched that they're shutting down the stopgap, makeshift, temporary servers. That's GOOD news.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:10 am 

Its bad news for anyone on dialup or not in one of the 14 launch eligable countries who incidently dont yet know that they can actually sign up because international sign up doesnt start until the 12th. Together those two groups make up a fairly large group who have also keep faith with Cyan and who are probably feeling very aggrieved about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:26 am 
Obduction Backer

I believe I read an official post on this subject saying that while D'mala shard would be shut down the private ones were going to be allowed to atrophy away natually. It is either posted somewhere by a Cyan official or it was said at Mysterium.

I believed them and took them at their word that they would allow the shards to die naturally. So why go back on their original statement?

There is no threat to Gametap or Cyan to allow the few private shards left to continue. The players who go there either are on dial-up, not told their country is able to sign up or have already signed up with Gametap if they could. Europeans on the The Meeting Place shard are only waiting until they can.

Neither company can lose any money from people not signing up that can't.

Those of us who could sign up are signed up on live and will play there mostly, but we do not want to leave any of our family behind if they can not get into live. That is just plain wrong when we have been together for so long. We are more than a community, we are a family.

I don't know about the rest of the shards but I bet they have a member or two that can not get into live either. Are you going to walk away from those members without a backward glance or do you care about them at all?

If you care, then fight to keep your shard up for them to be able to see others in world sometimes. Keeping your word, Cyan, is very important.

Obviously Moleculor and some others have no friends / family that will be left behind or simply do not care about those who will be as long as they can get into live themselves. If it were them this problem is happening to I bet they would sing a different tune.

Last edited by june_uruTMP on Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 27  Next