It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:35 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Lets not have any bomb scares to promote Uru, hmm? It just didn't go well for Turner the first time...

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hey, it got them advertising (and this is only because some idiot saw "glowy electronic thing" and freaked out at the "evil technology").

Americans are paranoid idiots these days. :roll: (And this is coming from an American.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:23 pm 

*rofl* :shock:

[KI again #01792364]| Uru images | KI guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Moleculor wrote:
Americans are paranoid idiots these days. :roll: (And this is coming from an American.)

Heh, I'll give that a "yeah that" (and I'm an American too, btw)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:35 pm 

Gadren wrote:
Moleculor wrote:

Better than exploding :wink:

I think that's a rather stupid ad campaign. They should have cleared it with the police first. Also, what if a kid saw one of those? :?

KI #00072427[Kedry]
"Conjecture is not fact, and opinion is not fact, and no matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true." - Shaun Lyon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:36 pm 

Eleri wrote:
Lets not have any bomb scares to promote Uru, hmm? It just didn't go well for Turner the first time...

I can see it now...

Bahro plushies appear on hundreds of random street corners... What's this? Oh no! They're going to explode! Destruction is coming! [Run] a way! Make a [bomb shelter]! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Kedri wrote:
Gadren wrote:
Moleculor wrote:

Better than exploding :wink:

I think that's a rather stupid ad campaign. They should have cleared it with the police first. Also, what if a kid saw one of those? :?

They would have thought it was a pretty light device. With a blocky shape on it.

And?

(OMG! What if a kid had seen that billboard?! o.O)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:17 am 
Obduction Backer

OK. In response to the "Won't someone think of the children?!" comments, some of which I cannot tell if they're sincere or not, I feel obligated to mention a small parable....

One of Lewis Carroll's themes in his famous story, "Alice in Wonderland," is that language - spoken or body - has only the meaning that we attribute to it. When a dog wags its tail, it is happy; when a cat wags its tail, it is mad. The same message can have a wholly different meaning to two people.

So the little boxy critters greet each other with a gesture that some cultures may view as an insult. I think that's great! Why not take something that is merely a positioning of one's fingers, to which highly negative connotations have been laden over the years, and remove its power by giving it a conflicting meaning?

Funny and genius.

Would it upset some parents? Probably. But I think the lesson to be learned here is more valuable than anyone's objections.

That the promotional materials were further interpreted as explosives adds even greater hilarity (and concern) to the situation; we truly are a society engrossed with seeking the most negative interpretations possible in everything around us, aren't we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:00 am 

honestly...I dont see how it looks like a bomb :?

paranoid indeed. :roll:

~Kia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:18 am 

Marten wrote:
OK. In response to the "Won't someone think of the children?!" comments, some of which I cannot tell if they're sincere or not, I feel obligated to mention a small parable....

One of Lewis Carroll's themes in his famous story, "Alice in Wonderland," is that language - spoken or body - has only the meaning that we attribute to it. When a dog wags its tail, it is happy; when a cat wags its tail, it is mad. The same message can have a wholly different meaning to two people.

So the little boxy critters greet each other with a gesture that some cultures may view as an insult. I think that's great! Why not take something that is merely a positioning of one's fingers, to which highly negative connotations have been laden over the years, and remove its power by giving it a conflicting meaning?

Funny and genius.

Would it upset some parents? Probably. But I think the lesson to be learned here is more valuable than anyone's objections.

That the promotional materials were further interpreted as explosives adds even greater hilarity (and concern) to the situation; we truly are a society engrossed with seeking the most negative interpretations possible in everything around us, aren't we?

OMG, you said exactly what I was feeling as I was reading all the posts in this topic, people need to learn that it's ok to have a sense of humor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:22 am 
Obduction Backer

:shock:

One particular quote grates on my no end:

Ed Markey wrote:
"Whoever thought this up needs to find another job."

"Scaring an entire region, tying up the T and major roadways, and forcing first responders to spend 12 hours chasing down trinkets instead of terrorists is marketing run amok," Markey, a Democrat, said in a written statement. "It would be hard to dream up a more appalling publicity stunt."

No sir, you need to find another job.

Flippin 'eck, HOW on Earth could they be mistaken for bombs! I've seen similar adverts in the UK (though not quite as elaborate), and they look seriously harmless.

These particular Americans are paranoid idiots!!!

(I feel safe saying that because a) others have, and b) I've been specific)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:40 am 

Marten wrote:

Funny and genius.

All right, all right, so a kid might not recognise it. Still they might imitate it, then someone elsee will be offended.

...but that is an argument I cannot win. Still, it's just sad to see such foul [sign] language sitting arount like that.

Another thing. You'd be surprized what a bomb could look like. I, personally, am glad that police could react so quickly to such a panic, even if it was a false alarm. If it was a bomb, we wouldn't have time to verify it.

KI #00072427[Kedry]
"Conjecture is not fact, and opinion is not fact, and no matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true." - Shaun Lyon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:33 am 

"Err, I hope Boston is watching, because I'm doing this as hard as I can."

:-P Sorry. Just had to. :D

But... seriously... they don't look like bombs at all. And the artist commissioned to do this in Boston is getting arrested. So lame.

As for the finger, the mooninite doesn't have any other fingers. So, how do we know it's the middle one? (Obviously we all know it's the middle one... that's what makes it funny.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Something to consider...
a) the same thing had been up in multiple cities for almsot 2 weeks, including Boston, with no alarm. These did not just suddenly show up in Boston today.

b) *One* of the items in Boston was reported as a bomb, and was proven to not be a bomb, and the location of the other non-bombs was given to police. Police then reacted to ALL of the other non-bombs as if they were bombs, even though, at that point, they knew exactly what they were and how they'd gotten there.

In other words, the Boston police were idiots.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:00 am 

Eleri wrote:
Something to consider...
a) the same thing had been up in multiple cities for almsot 2 weeks, including Boston, with no alarm. These did not just suddenly show up in Boston today.

b) *One* of the items in Boston was reported as a bomb, and was proven to not be a bomb, and the location of the other non-bombs was given to police. Police then reacted to ALL of the other non-bombs as if they were bombs, even though, at that point, they knew exactly what they were and how they'd gotten there.

In other words, the Boston police were idiots.

Oh. Ok, then. Forget my comments, then. :wink:

KI #00072427[Kedry]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next