It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:16 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:23 am 
Obduction Backer

I bet the ratings on Aqua Teen Hunger Force are gonna be through the roof there.

Sounds like this marketing campaign was waaaaay more successful than Turner could ever have hoped for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

We got the bomb scare bit on the UK news this morning.

Post subject: Trouble for Turner
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:50 pm 

As I'm sure some of you have heard, a division of Tuner known as Adult Swim, did a campaign in Boston which involved several boxes, that were spread throughout the city. When reported, the bomb squad was sent out, it turned out that these boxes were actually just lights. The whole ordeal has lead to three arrests(so far), 75,000(not to sure te exact amount, but I have heard things around this) dollars to the city of Boston, and a law suit against turner,

If the lawsuit ends up bad for Turner, could we possibly suffer?

for some reason I can't find any links to the story, I'll go back to looking.

Post subject: Re: Trouble for Turner
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Skellington98 wrote:
If the lawsuit ends up bad for Turner, could we possibly suffer?

Depends how bad for Turner, but I think Gametap is probably pretty self-sufficient. So, being a source of income rather than a drain on Turner's resources, unless this debilitates them we should be good... I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:56 pm 

From the Boston Globe

Article on the 'box' debarcle

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articl ... _and_fury/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Merged topics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

The scary part for me, and I live in the Boston area, is that these devices were placed several weeks ago and it took this long for anyone to notice. All this publicity is just telling any one who might wish to place a real bomb in this area, just how easy it would be to do so and go undetected. Do I think the police over reacted? Well yes but I'd rather have that than have them ignore it and see innocent people hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ja'de wrote:
The scary part for me, and I live in the Boston area, is that these devices were placed several weeks ago and it took this long for anyone to notice. All this publicity is just telling any one who might wish to place a real bomb in this area, just how easy it would be to do so and go undetected. Do I think the police over reacted? Well yes but I'd rather have that than have them ignore it and see innocent people hurt.

I've heard so many people keep referring to these as "devices." While technically accurate, the implication from using that word is inherently more sinister than what there were: Lite Brites, pretty much.

It didn't take this long for people to notice; it's just that the vast majority of people don't freak out when they see anything electronic. These ads were in many other cities, and not one other one went crazy.

Anyone with nefarious ideas would already be figuring out hiding places; they don't need an overblown media report to tell them otherwise.

And the logic of "Yes, they over-reacted, but it's better then getting blown up" doesn't work here. First of all, once the bomb squad got there, they could have just said "Oh, it's just an ad, call off the squad." But no, they panicked, and the police and the mayor didn't just let it die; they arrested the people who put them up under false charges (hoaxes require intent, and there is none) all in an attempt to keep themselves from looking stupid.

Also, the "they over-reacted, but all in the name of safety" is still a horribly fallacious argument. It can be used to justify anything -- kicking people out of an airplane for speaking Arabic or having a certain T-shirt, torturing people, declaring war... If anyone can over-react as long as it's better than being blown up, then what oversight is there?

Quote:
Assistant Attorney General John Grossman called the light boards "bomb-like" devices and said that if they had been explosive they could have damaged transportation infrastructure in the city.

By this logic of the attorney general here, we might as well get rid of backpacks and boxes. They could house bombs, and, after all, IF they were explosive, imagine the danger! Think of the children!

While it may not sound great, I'd rather have a slightly increased threat of attacks than to have a nation paralyzed in perpetual fear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:47 pm 

To me this smacks of hysteria. For goodness sake do we have to walk around in bubble wrap and foam headbands? It's pretty darn stupid to me to call the bomb squad over some boxes and wires and flashing lights. Overkill with a capital O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

What Gadren said.

I can't beat that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Gadren wrote:
While it may not sound great, I'd rather have a slightly increased threat of attacks than to have a nation paralyzed in perpetual fear.

Amen.

You want to know how a country shoud react to terrorism? Look at Great Britain. They've been dealing with bombs a whole lot longer than we have, and they don't have constant widespread paranoia, and ill-thought-out reactionary 'safety' measures.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:03 am 
Obduction Backer

Gadren, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but to discount mine as invalid, hurts. At least that's the way I read your post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:13 am 

OMG.... the bras will blow us up now!

Lighted bras

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:14 am 

Ja'de wrote:
Well yes but I'd rather have that than have them ignore it and see innocent people hurt.

Frankly, that appears to be what is happening ANYWAY, so that's a bad point.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:47 am 
Obduction Backer

As a side note, one of the arrested is a friend-of-friend, and has been dubbed The Cartoonabomber.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next