It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:17 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:36 pm 

This is a blog entry on ZDNet

Blogs @ ZDNet.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:50 pm 

Interesting read and I agree 100%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 pm 

Apples and oranges.

Structured story is for MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Online RolePlaying Games), not necessarily MMOVEs (Massively Multiuser Online Virtual Environments). There could conceivably be exceptions to this admittedly generalistic statement, but I don't think Second Life needs to be an example of that potential. Just as roleplaying, story participation, etc. is a form of creativity expression, building 3D structures and designing items in a freeform space is another, different form.

I look at Second Life like a constantly-evolving, openly-malleable museum showcasing a particular aspect of creativity, as well as microcosmic society and economy. It has its niche, and there it has actually found a decent amount of success.

Comparing Second Life to Myst is as unfair as comparing Myst Online: URU Live to World of Warcraft.

MOULagain KI# 00831617 MOUL: 04072686

Post subject: MYST vs. Second Life
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here's a great blog, brought to our attention by Gordon at The Lyst

http://blogs.zdnet.com/web2explorer/?p=343&tag=nl.e539

It's a wonderful commentary about what makes us different - and better - than Second Life.

Walt

walt: KI #00193642
walt scRIVENs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:19 pm 

Jemiri wrote:
Apples and oranges.

Comparing Second Life to Myst is as unfair as comparing Myst Online: URU Live to World of Warcraft.

Hmm, I'm not entirely in agreement.

The writer of this article basicly explains why Second Life doesn't appeal to him. He has a few points I agree with. If the creators of SL want more people to participate, they have to do something about the lacking order, be it with a narrative or otherwise.

I will not be going back to SL. I wanted to check out the Myst Online island (Never found out how to get there btw) but I was scared off by the shear chaos. People running jumping and flying around, drove me nuts. Myst online starts in Relto, alone and quiet, so you can take your time to check everything out.

Nothing is happening now in MO:UL and I'm a bit bored of running around (have not been online for a few weeks, just checking the forums for news) But when the story continues with a new development I'm there!
Nothing like that ever happens in SL, and at the same time too much new stuff happens to keep up. Resulting in: Disorder and Chaos....

Scares me away for sure...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:19 pm 

Myst is indeed very different from Second Life. But this makes them incomparable to each other. It's good that both are different from each other, and neither should be changed to imitate the other, any more than the repeated killing of squees should be introduced into MO:UL to make it more like the majority of other MMORPGs.

EDIT: Removed quote of my previous post since threads have been merged.

Last edited by Jemiri on Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:29 pm 

It's okay for MMOthings to have different audiences and separate populations.

I think the author should've basically said "this is why I personally didn't enjoy Second Life and why I enjoy Myst instead" rather than saying "I didn't enjoy Second Life because it lacked something Myst has, so Second Life should change to be more like Myst."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Merged two identical topics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:10 pm 

MikeFitz wrote:
Interesting read and I agree 100%.

Ditto :D

Zen KI# 55764

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:15 pm 

Myst online should be so lucky as to have the installed base of SL. Typical peak loads in early evening are 37,000 people. While I see the membership on this forum is a little less than 10,000. Granted not all players are member of the forum, but I have never even seen 100 people online in MOUL.

Two totally different audiences. One is wide open for user generated content, one is more structured with user influenced content at best. They serve different desires.

Full disclosure: my wife is SL paid member, my daughter is an employee of Linden Labs, the publisher of SL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

I would agree with the apples and oranges analogy. Since I usually only have time for one game, MOUL wins hands down, but the little I saw of Second Life I liked.

I do agree with Mohawk though about being overwhelmed in SL. I am not good at instantly picking up game UI and how things work, yet before I even got half way through Help Island, I was besieged by people who wanted to help me and be my friend. I felt really rude when I had to run away because I didn't even know How to talk to them, let alone have time to decide what I wanted to say. :)

It would be way cool if SL could give me the choice of a common Help Island or a private one, just so I could sort out how to play before being immersed in the social aspects.

That is one of the things I love about MOUL - simpler UI and you have a chance to figure it out before being thrown into the multi-player aspects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Second Life lacks a certain thematic coherency, certainly. However, that's really the point of Second Life. It is thematically neutral. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than it is - people interacting in a user-modifiable virtual environment.

Myst was, in essence, pure atmosphere. Even as a story, it's rather vague (and always has been). It really is nothing but theme, in a way. In many ways, they are at ends of a spectrum.

I think that ideally, Myst online should be in the middle.

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:55 pm 

Jemiri wrote:
I think the author should've basically said "this is why I personally didn't enjoy Second Life and why I enjoy Myst instead" rather than saying "I didn't enjoy Second Life because it lacked something Myst has, so Second Life should change to be more like Myst."

I think you're right about that.
Oppinions shouldn't be forced uppon anyone, and none should feel forced to an oppinion.

(Glad we're allowed to state our oppinions freely though :P )

Fact is, sometimes we should take a little time to think about the way we're going to say certain things, make sure we deliver our message in a nice way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:37 am 

Ah, yeah, Second Life. I actually spent a few hours trying to figure out what had gone wrong before I realized that everyone else was seeing the same thing I was. Apparently all these reporters and executives going nuts over SL haven't played too many games lately.

Even on all the lowest settings, it runs at a very slow framerate, and with objects slowly loading around you all the time it's impossible to tell what the heck is going on unless you stand still for about a minute. If I want to see a big blurry mess of stores and ads and bright colors and ugly architecture, I'll go to the mall and take off my glasses.

So I'm not sure lack of story is the biggest problem here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:15 am 
Obduction Backer

excellent essay!
i too tried SL, and it was....ok. But not worth the subscription price.

I also tried a game called "there". Same thing.

I think if I was a shut-in I would give them another go-around, maybe.

I also tried ToonTown (not just for kids! Fun group of people!)
And i did FFXI. But both were just endless rounds of gain xp and earn gil to buy bigger weapons to fight bigger monsters to...get more xp.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next