It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:40 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:18 pm 

Copied from my post in the previous iPhone Myst thread.

I don't know if this is a bug or my being rubbish at solving the puzzle, but I'm having a problem in the underground rail car thing in Selenic. This puzzle was the one that had me stumped the longest the first time I played, and it's giving me even more trouble now. It's one of the very few puzzles in all the Myst games that I don't remember the solution for, and I want to solve it if I can, but I'm becoming increasingly certain that it's impossible for me to do so, and must be a bug.

This is happening: I'm in the car, and simply don't have anywhere I can go. I've mapped out my possible choices, and as you can see, there aren't many.

If you know how to solve the puzzle, that should make sense. Unless I'm getting it totally wrong. I'm positive that the map is correct. So my question to those of you who know the solution to this maze is, am I missing some vital element of solving the puzzle, or is it broken?

Thanks to Mystdee for her help so far!

Last edited by Tutelary on Thu May 07, 2009 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:54 pm 

Your on the right lines, figure out what noises point you in which direction, if you don't get a noise when you stop at a node, you've gone the wrong way and need to double back.

IIRC this means a lot of twoing and frowing in the first instance, and also try to keep an eye on your direction when you headed into a node as well, as its mega confusing if you forget.

Pen and paper needed (or the top of the metro if your on public transport ;) )

Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:20 am 

Thanks for the response, but if you take a look at the map I linked to you'll see that it isn't that simple, for some reason. All the crosses represent directions I can't go. Sadly there is no way out of these dead ends.

Edit: If the image doesn't load, try this:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:42 am 

If the solution is the same as in the old game, you first move is wrong.
(assuming the starting point is at the bottom of your image)

[spoiler]
Quote:
From the Graham walkthrough...
If you cannot remember the sounds they are:

North: Chime or peep
South: Cow Bell
West: Trill
East: Whistle or buzz

The red button replays the tone. The arrows turn the ship. The indicator shows the direction of the ship. Follow the tones to get to the end - there are 14 steps.

# 1 step: is: North.
[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:31 am 

This is definitely a bug then. I started somewhere completely different and the puzzle is unsolvable even knowing the solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:54 am 

When I played the RealMyst version at Gametap, I remember having troubles
even if I had the solution.

[spoiler]Make a list of the 14 steps and then strike off every steps as you go along.[/spoiler]

Send me your solution in a PM so I can double check it.(no graphics please)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:12 pm 

I'm pretty sure this is a bug.
I'm also stuck over there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

I am not trying to argue with you, and I respect your frustration, but I have to say I disagree, I believe you are just making a series of wrong moves. . . . Don't see how you could be starting from a different place, as you say. . :?

The arrows and buttons are sometimes hard to touch, and it's easy to hit the wrong one sometimes, so perhaps you have mistakenly gone too far or the wrong way with them . . . . . the correct solution gets me there every time and I have been there MANY times. Have you checked the excellent hints guide in the game?. . . maybe there is something there that will help you. There are different levels of hints in there to avoid unwanted spoilers. If you have looked at all that, and still truly think you have hit a bug not allowing you to get through, then perhaps you need to use the correct solution rather than relying on the sounds from the beginning of the maze runner trip as a "work around" . . . . It always works for me. I don't know what else to suggest.

The following spoiler tags contain that correct solution, if you don't want to see it then don't go there!

[spoiler=WARNING Solution contained within] when you first sit in the driver's seat you need to use the forward button to get to the tracks then the car is already facing the correct first direction which is North. . . . including this first one the correct directions are as follows:

N - W - N - E - E - S - S - W - SW - W - NW - NE - N - SE [/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:26 pm 

Hi all,

Thanks for all the responses. However, I think people are still not really understanding the problem I'm having. It's not a matter of my making the wrong move. There are only 4 directions I can possibly go, none of which lead anywhere new. It is no longer possible for me to get back to the beginning at all. It simply isn't.

Just to be clear - when I started the puzzle there were other possibilities. I navigated around a bunch of times, heard at least three of the possible sounds. Then I got stuck in the loop I'm currently in. If you look at the graphic you'll see my problem. It shows every possible path that can and can't be taken from every possible place left to me. There is simply no way for me to go.

I understand the desire to assume this is me doing the puzzle wrong, but I am now 100% positive I am not. I have checked the solution, but it doesn't make it possible. And I'm sure I'm understanding it, since I've done it dozens of times before. (And I obviously did remember it correctly from the start, but just got caught in this loop, and assumed it was me not remembering and doing it wrong at first.) There is simply not anywhere for me to go. Those three nodes on the graphic I posted are the only three I can get to, and two are total dead ends, while the third leads only to the other two.

How do I submit a bug report? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

So you have not tried starting over, correct?
Have you tried the backtrack button at all?

It's hard for me or anyone else to tell what you have actually done to get where you are now, your map doesn't really help, if I am understanding it, the diagram shows what is there from your current location and not from where you started? since if I go in to the maze, to try to see for myself I would be at the beginning, it's difficult to determine where the problem occurs for you. . . . . . do you know what steps you have taken to get there? (even if there is a bug that info might be needed/helpful to reproduce it, in order to then fix it)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:05 pm 

Mystdee wrote:

How do I start over without deleting and reinstalling the game? I was avoiding doing that, since I wanted to be able to provide Cyan with any information regarding the bug that I can. I can't find any way to officially submit the bug, so I might just reinstall it.

Quote:
It's hard for me or anyone else to tell what you have actually done to get where you are now, your map doesn't really help, if I am understanding it, the diagram shows what is there from your current location and not from where you started?

Since I can no longer return to where I started, or navigate out of the section of the map shown in the image, I can't show my current location in any way other than as the three nodes relative to each other. There's no way to move to anywhere other than these three nodes, so that's all the map can show - as is demonstrated by the map in the image.

Quote:
do you know what steps you have taken to get there? (even if there is a bug that info might be needed/helpful to reproduce it, in order to then fix it)

Sadly I can't say how I got there. I was navigating around pretty much at random, trying to map the sounds to directions (but only in my head - I hadn't resorted to notes on paper yet) when I started to notice I kept doing the same steps over and over. I mapped out all the possible directions, and ended up with the map I posted. I then realised that the reason I kept doing the same steps over and over was because there weren't any other steps possible to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tutelary wrote:
Mystdee wrote:

Quote:
How do I start over without deleting and reinstalling the game? I was avoiding doing that, since I wanted to be able to provide Cyan with any information regarding the bug that I can. I can't find any way to officially submit the bug, so I might just reinstall it.

You don't have to reinstall to start over. If you didn't save the game you would have to start a new one though, you do that by going into options and dragging the "current game" to the trash can icon at the bottom left of the screen

I don't know how to guide you out and not sure how to report that as a possible bug if it can't be reproduced the only place for players to report bugs, at this time is here, and I am sure they are checking pretty regularly. I will try to see if I can somehow reproduce it and if I can I will also report it officially. I wish I could be of more help. :(

Post subject: this is the bug
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:08 pm 

I have the same problem to reproduce get in sub maze have red page. go N, W, N, E, E, S, S, then W not SE screen will go straight W and will say your facing SW and flash 8 to 10 times. after this the only directions you can go are the ones Tutelary has drawn out. i am a long time player of this game and made out one wrong turn then restart to see if i could reporduce the bug and yes i can.

Post subject: Re: this is the bug
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

enjoying28 wrote:
I have the same problem to reproduce get in sub maze have red page. go N, W, N, E, E, S, S, then W not SE screen will go straight W and will say your facing SW and flash 8 to 10 times. after this the only directions you can go are the ones Tutelary has drawn out. i am a long time player of this game and made out one wrong turn then restart to see if i could reporduce the bug and yes i can.

I will try this and make a report accordingly thanks for the info, and welcome to the forums!

[spoiler] Oh wait, you are supposed to go west (which produced no problems) after the 2 souths ! then SW so still not sure what you did here. . . and oh drat! I have the blue page LOL

I still had no trouble getting to the end even taking wrong turns it still directs me back to where I need to be. I am going to get the red page and see if that baby is responsible and I will try again.

[/spoiler]

Last edited by Mystdee on Thu May 07, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: this is the bug
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:22 pm 

enjoying28 wrote:

I can't confirm the directions, but I am also carrying a red page. It is also entirely possible I went those directions, but it might be a particular node causes this to happen, and how you get there might not be the key. Of course, having directions that get you there for sure is very handy, though! :D Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy or stupid :D I was starting to worry :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next