It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 5:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:41 am 
Obduction Backer

So, since my old copies of Riven won't run on Windows 7, and my Steam copy won't run in a non-stretched aspect ratio and the sound channels are reversed, I decided to pick up Riven for the iPhone, figuring that it might be the best way I can play the game again at this point. And it was pretty great, until I started trying to interact with things....

Videos throughout the game (Wooden eyes, opening doors, flipping switches, rotating the Mag Lev) move at a pitiful framerate (maybe half?), while others (such as the actual Mag Lev ride) run fluidly and with no issues. I've tried shutting down all other applications and restarting the phone, with no luck in improving the experience.

Is this by design? Am I going to feel foolish for picking up yet another version of Riven that can't live up to the one released over fifteen years ago?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

I had the same experience on the iPhone. And I'd almost forgotten about that when I bought the new iPad version, and it appears to suffer from the same pitiful frame rates. I had also hoped for a fully stereo soundtrack, but alas...

I'm afraid it is by design. Riven for iPad is almost 2 gigabytes already. Higher framerates would have made it even bigger.

On the other hand, as soon as I'm immersed I forget all about that and just play...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

in order to cut down on the file size of the Riven app many of the smaller "videos" were turned into more of a "flip book" kind of thing. For instance when you close the iris on the Whark gallows from Gehn's throne instead of paying a video file it simply flicks through 4 or 5 images to make a simulated video. this obviously makes for poor frame rate but it's only used on these small animations so it's not a huge problem and if it means the difference between having a Riven app or not then it's acceptable in my eyes. I can't remember where I read a Cyan official talking about this but maybe someone else can?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]