It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:13 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: RrealMYST on Lion
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:52 pm 

Have OSX 10.7 killed off realMYST, Exile, Revelation and End of Ages?

The real question beeing. Must I hide a legacy mac in the closet to be able to satisfy my addiction.
Somethings sort themself out. My 6 year old son now regularly drag my old STIGA PRO HOCKEY down from the attic. That addiction is thus satisfied. It was really hard justifying carrying that around from move to move but now I'm happy. I have some nice cardboard boxes on a shelf in the living room. Many of you own the same set :) How will I justify their existence if no computer alive can run them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

I know that Lion has killed off some of them, can't remember which ones exactly. I think the problem comes in with the removal of Rosetta.

Somewhere I found some patched installers that will allow you to install the legacy games on a newer machine, however I had to run most of them in Snow Leopard.

So, your best option is to make a Snow Leopard (or older) partition on your computer and just switch to that when you need to play those games. That's what I had setup a few months back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:01 am 
Obduction Backer

It only killed the ones that went out before 2006.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:31 pm 

OK!
So Power-based code is out! I think I go for the extra boot drive for ppc OSX stuff and classic apps. My guess it will have to be 10.4 to support both rosetta AND classic mode.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:14 pm 

You can run realmyst on a SnowLeopard (10.6) partition.
You need to partition your hard drive, or use and external or other internal hard drive, using disk utility, 20gb should do,
Install 10.6 on it,
Install Xcode from the 10.6 disk,
Install the cpu preference pane in the Xcode folder,
install the game,
Install the patch,
Open the cpu preference pane, turn of hyper threading and the other cpus, realymst does't like multi cpus.
Run the game.
Sounds like a lot but it's really quite easy.
Any questions just ask.
The game runs great on my Mac Pro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:20 pm 

Off-topic but funny how Apple finds ways to remove compatibility and Microsoft adds more(XP Mode in Win 7 for example) Also Windows allays ran on X86 computer, so you can run Windows 1.0 apps on 32-bit XP(look: http://toastytech.com/guis/misc.html).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:36 pm 

Yes it can be annoying but I think Microsoft have taken the strategy of supporting legacy code for long periods were Apple have taken the view of supporting legacy code using Rosetta for example for much less time.
Both have their merits and downsides. Microsoft has to maintain all that code, test it when changes are made and the OS therefore gets increasingly difficult to maintain and test and can get bloated. Apple on the other hand drop support for say PPC code after a few years this removes a large amount of testing and maintenance and some bloat. They do loose backwards compatibility in the process though.
The one saviour of the Apple strategy is emulators, Basilisk is a classic mac emulator (68k code), and being able to install an old version of the OS in a separate partition, as above. Being a Mac user I can also take advance of rebooting into or virtualising Windows, or Linux which gives me other options too. I even got NextStep running in parallels.
So both systems have their merits.

Post subject: Myst games on Lion
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Rudolfsen et al!

I'm a Mac Lion user as well and have been able to get nearly all the Myst games to work (RealMyst, Riven, Exile, Revelation) as well as most of Cyan's other games (Crowthistle, MagiQuest Online, The Manhole--I don't have HexIsle so don't know if it will install/work). End of Ages is the only exception so far (details below).

Many of these Myst games have Wineskin wrappers available at Paul the Tall's website, which I've used successfully except for the Myst IV Revelation one (there's a problem with getting my Mac to read the Windows portion of my CD--an ISO9660 setting on the CD itself). But the Porting Team website does have a Cider wrapper; you will want to download and use the one linked in the comments section.

I was able to create my own wrappers for Crowthistle, The Manhole and MagiQuest Online, most of which work nicely right off without any tweaking on my part (though The Manhole required a bit of fiddling and starts with a QuickTIme error but seems to play just fine). To learn how to do this yourself, visit the Wineskin website.

End of Ages does not yet have a wrapper at Paul the Tall's website, and so I attempted to create my own and install via my CD version of the game. However when playing, things get stuck at the first character cutscene (the Yeesha speech in front of the K'veer linking bubble). This appears to be a known issue but has not yet been resolved. I have purchased the GOG downloadable version but have yet to see if it will install any differently in Wineskin (my guess is not).

Oh, and another big exception is Uru:CC, which also doesn't yet have a pre-made wrapper available (I think most folks assume MOULa is just the same and so don't bother developing one). My own attempt at creating a Wineskin wrapper didn't work (stack dumped immediately after the introductory splash screens).

Note that you will need to own Myst III and Myst IV on CD as they are not yet available as downloadable games. But all the others at GOG.com have worked just fine in Wineskin (though as stated above, I'm not yet sure about Myst V).

So you can get nearly there with Myst on Lion! Hope this helps!

PS: If there are Wineskin enthusiasts/experts out there in the community, I would *love* your help in figuring out how to get End of Ages and Uru:CC to work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:03 pm 

Wasn't there a Mac version of EoA or was that a PPC version?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Jamie Marchant wrote:
Wasn't there a Mac version of EoA or was that a PPC version?

That's correct, it was PPC.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:10 am 

Tried the wrapper for myst online I got from somewhere on here but the game was very stuttery especially in the higher animation areas. Ended up using bootcamp.

Post subject: Myst V End of Ages
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah,

I'm resurrecting this old topic because I just discovered that Paul the Tall has implemented a Wineskin wrapper for Myst V!! :D :D

I've downloaded, installed and tested on my MacBook Pro and it works beautifully! I am a very happy explorer today! :P

Enjoy!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]