It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:40 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:06 pm 

Firefox 3.5.2
Opera 9.64

My quickie look so far of the website, I've probably missed things. I also leave the general feedback to someone else because I'm not a parent and I find some things uncomfortably girly. (There are unicorns and stuff... :?)

About
The "magic wand-other items" submenu have links to the shop, but I haven't yet found those items in the shop. I could be blind. There's also a spelling error in the right paragraph (area's).
The "parties" page doesn't say how you make a party arrangement.
The "game and story-characters" page cuts off a word at the bottom.

Shop
The "wood dragon wand" doesn't have a link.
The "enchant creatures rune" has a "usually ships" line that doesn't appear on other shop pages.
There are no dueling runes. Same with collector runes but at least there are placeholder images there.
The pictures for the costumes seems to be a bit blurry. There's also nice to get a better idea of the size of a clothing item rather than "small" or "large". I'm on the lookout for a new belt myself and that stuff's important. (No magi belt for me though! :lol:)

My MQ
In Opera, the text on the left only shows when you pull down the menues. It would also be nice to have links to the facebook and twitter page that's referenced here. (Same goes for the mq online page)

"Please pardon the magic dust" hehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Firefox 3.0.13

Only had a quick look, but spotted a missing 'a' in FAQ:

Q: If I lose my wand do I have to start over?
A: No. MagiQuestMagic allows us to transfer a Magi's information onto new wand at any time, thus allowing you to continue the game where you left off, no matter where you left your wand.

Should be:
A: No. MagiQuestMagic allows us to transfer a Magi's information onto a new wand at any time, thus allowing you to continue the game where you left off, no matter where you left your wand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.13) Gecko/2009073022 Firefox/3.0.13 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Working fine for me. The Collector Runes don't have pics

(I'm curious, will there be a way for people to upload their existing live action wand info? I could get mildly addicted to wand decorating, darnit.)

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:08 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Eleri wrote:
will there be a way for people to upload their existing live action wand info? I could get mildly addicted to wand decorating, darnit.)

Yes, the website will be an interface to all your live action info, including wand customizations. We are struggling with the concept that people might even spraypaint their wands silver for whatever reason. That is a bit down on the to-do list.

Last edited by JWPlatt on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:09 pm 

Quote:
The website does not currently support IE6, for example, and we are having a discussion about that. Marketshare of IE6 is low at this point, but it's still a concern, so your comments could make a difference.

Awesome!

My suggestion: don't waste any time on getting the site to work on IE6. If the content shows up, but doesn't look good, don't care. Really. The time you spend in getting the site to work in Internet Explorer 6 is much better spent improving the site instead.

If you haven't noticed, I put this on the Myst Online site a while ago:

Code:
<!--[if lte IE 6]>
<div class="ie6-warning">
   You appear to be running Internet Explorer 6, an eight-year-old browser that is no longer supported. Please consider upgrading to <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/ie8">Internet Explorer 8</a> or <a href="http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/">Firefox</a>. You will not be prevented from visiting this site in IE 6, but your experience may not be satisfactory.
</div>
<![endif]-->

About the site itself: IMO the site is too busy and has too many colors. Also, why use such a terribly low-quality JPEG as background?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:18 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Yes Denis, I noticed CrisGer's complaint about that notice and commmented in the thread. I personally would stay away from popups that appear to impose a developer's "attitude" upon the user who just wants things to work, but I agree the time is better spent improving the site if there is significant cost for an insignificant share of users who will just move up soon anyway. The current site probably does put up a notice but I haven't tested it. I'll be happily passing on your comment along with all others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Firefox 3.0.13.

I had a few things noted, but they've all been mentioned above. Other than those, it looks great, and I had a good time browsing the site and getting a better idea what real-life MQ is all about.

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:56 pm 

Assuming the target group is kiddies or very young adults, I do like the "busy" site. Sometimes the contrast could be slightly bigger between text and background, but (just for comparison) I find that worse in this site actually. This site is orange on brown on pinkish with black side bars, not only hard to read but rather depressing too, blech (but that is purely personal and I guess it does sort of blend in with the "cavern" theme). I found MQ very refreshing compared to that actually... different and happy.

As for the use of low res jpg instead of png, there are LOTS of people out here that cannot have broadband. Mur and I have broadband of a sort, the fastest available out here in the countryside actually (no less than 3 Mbps, recently upgraded from 1.5, which was quite a shock being used to the 60 Mbps we had in Holland) and the MOUL site takes several seconds to load that huge graphic. The MQ is rather slow too, but nowhere near as bad.

Oh I have a css comment, I would consider increasing the line spacing a bit, it is VERY close on Chrome, though IE8 is marginally better. Also it is not consistent, for example the line spacing in the MyMQ and MQOnline page boxes is so close it almost overlaps.

These were just a few random thoughts... If I can think of any other comments, I'll post them here though as always, my Big Disclaimer is that I'm a web developer, not a graphics designer :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:57 pm 

Firefox Version 3.0.15 on Windows 7 RC. Seems to work fine.

I did notice that when navigating the about section, they have a very handy sidebar. The only issue is that this sidebar is nowhere to be found when going to the MQOnline section. Just seems like a bit of a continuity issue, having all pages except one linked in the sidebar to continue to have the sidebar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
IE7 and it all seemed to work fine for me.

I loved the Historic Timeline of Interactive Games. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Speaking of wand customizations - check out this topper. They must have created that to appeal to Metroid Prime's 'Dark Samus' fans. :)

In-game, I couldn't see the appeal of wand customizations because you never can see your own wand (due to the rear perspective). But you would be able to admire other people's wands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:09 pm 

Sophia wrote:
As for the use of low res jpg instead of png, there are LOTS of people out here that cannot have broadband

You can make the background image look almost exactly like the original and still end up with a very small file size—and if the connection speed matters: use progressive JPEGs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:23 pm 

Firefox 3.0.13.

On the "Locations" tab, when I first went there all was well. Click through to a location, then click "Locations" tree at the left gives mapping errors. Hit refresh and the errors seem to change. Clicking from tab to tab across the top and I would get location errors. ("Location not found" below the map.) Source code looked odd (Joomla! yoomaps errors?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

IE8 here.

Please use another font for the SEARCH field. It looks like it's written in japanese.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

IE 8 and Mozilla Firefox 3.5.2

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next