It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:50 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: NDA Clarification
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:35 pm 

Dear MQO Beta Testers:

There has been some recent confusion among some of you regarding the scope of the Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) you signed. The confusion is understandable; this is a difficult area to measure, for both of us. But our hope is that, as the weeks and months have passed, we have all been learning from the challenges we've faced in this area, and can, from time to time, improve the situation. Therefore, we've come up with the following clarifications of the rules of NDA conduct. Hopefully, this will be a solid reference point that will keep everyone on the same page.

We begin with a set of NDA absolute rules that every single Beta Tester needs to adhere to. The consequence for breaking these rules will be banishment from the Beta servers.

NEVER let anyone know you are a Beta Tester. There may be times other players will accuse you of being a Beta Tester, but never admit that you are, even if another player claims he or she is also a Beta Tester.

NEVER write or talk about discrepancies you've seen between what you experience on the Beta Server and what you experience on the MQO Live Servers. Never talk about bugs or version differences from any of your Beta Server experiences. (Unless, of course, you are working with other Beta Testers to debug or test the game on the Beta Server.)

NEVER write or talk about any content you've seen on the Beta Server before it has been released on the MQO Live Servers.

NEVER release formal documentation you've created that pertains to any gameplay you've experienced on the Beta Server prior to one full week after the same experience has been made available on the MQO Live Servers. This would apply to any kinds of maps, instructions, walk-throughs, notes, etc., even if other non-Beta players have created and released exactly the same, very similar or completely wrong documentation on the same subjects.

There will probably always be situations outside of these absolute rules that will require you to interpret the NDA to your best ability. For those situations, we would ask that you keep the following in mind ("More what you'd call guidelines than actual rules..."):

IN-GAME: When playing on the MQO Live Servers, and you are asked a direct question about a game play experience you have knowledge of from the Beta Server, you can answer if you think it will not spoil the experience of the person asking, or anyone else who may be near enough to hear or see your answer, and provided it does not violate any of the absolute rules.
ON-LINE: Same thing when engaging in a MQO discussion on an online forum: If it will not spoil an experience for others, and does not violate any of the absolute rules, you can participate in the discussion.

We trust you will use your common sense and good judgment in dealing with situations like these while still holding strictly to the rules listed above. If you are ever in doubt, however, please err on the side of caution.

If you have questions, please ask, so that we can either answer them or improve the NDA policies even more.

Thank you for help!

Sincerely,
Cyan Worlds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:39 pm 

I don't care what any of you say, I am NOT a Beta Tester! I shall defend that statement to the death!

What do you mean I'm in the beta forum? oh... I ... uhm ... I got here by an accident! Yeah that's it!!! An accident!! I have no idea what is going on here! MQO beta, wha? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

MQO Live Servers??? What MQO Live Servers???

(Copy -paste isn't always good)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Or, maybe just setting the stage for live servers.

I see on the MagiQuest pages that the current launch date for online is Fall of 2009. We are already in August.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Im wondering how long will we be testing???
With live and beta servers..
I think we are going to be making a few trips to MQ locations,,,
so cue up the free wand (s) and play time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 pm 

I can pretty much guarantee that if we don't have live servers eventually, we wont have beta either :)

Also, since the NDA will still apply after we go live, It saves me the trouble of creating another forum post that everyone has to wade through to get the details.

-- Copy - Paste works great when what you have to say is already perfected ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:56 pm 

Sounds like a case of been there, done that for those of us with a couple of NDA's already under our belts. So lets do a good job on de-bugging beta so we can move onto doing the same for rehearsal lol.

Incidently I take it that Cyan are going to be running the 'Live' servers as well as building the game then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:25 pm 

MQ seems like it will be a hoot; don't get me wrong, but I'll second the been there done that comment. You guys at Cyan throw a fun Bug Hunt but after a while you just want to find a programmer and beg them to install a cheat menu to bypass a few puzzles. :lol: Now if you happened to e-mail me everything Cyan has from the content and source code outwards for running and maintaining the plasma server/client of a Uru install I'll be happy to have a nervous breakdown right here under the NDA. :rotfl:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:26 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

darkstar wrote:
Incidently I take it that Cyan are going to be running the 'Live' servers as well as building the game then.

Yes. One of the great things about Cyan is that they are full service from game and content development (using the Plasma engine in our case) to complete game management. Probably some of you thought of that as a distraction during or after MOUL, but it's an awesome win for Cyan and a huge benefit to MQO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:38 pm 

Second that JW. And I for one am happy to wait for an Open Source Uru whilst Cyan are doing paying work and recovering from what must have been a very hard year since the close down of MOUL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Geez, perhaps the OP should be amended to include:
"NEVER share your log in name, password and a direct link to the FTP site"

http://pelishard.net/tmreroteoabmtdatpotsa/mq.html :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:50 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

That's just outrageous :evil: . There's more discussion on this in the Blatant NDA Disrespect thread.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:00 pm 

I am absolutely incensed about this. It is such a betrayal of something we did, knowing the NDA, knowing our job was to help Cyan make the best game they could for MQ. Shame on the person who gave this out...shameful.

SL:
DMom2K Darwin

Currently residing in Guild Wars2 with DudeDad and trying to play Watch Dogs
Citizen of the Metaverse and oh, yeah, The Dude abides....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:07 am 

Edit note: Deleted post, placed in NDA disrespect thread.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]