It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:38 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Impressions of 1.1225
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

I just played through again, and everything seems to be quite solid and tight. Good build!

But I can't let this go without mentioning some items, most of which are old news, but still there:

1. The vestigial KI square. For me, it shows up not only when I'm walking near the River, but any time I'm walking or running through the woods with my point-of-view set to First Person. In this case, I can see the square at the lower left of the screen, and it's noticeable when seen over the ground textures going by.

2. Laggy videos in the Woods - I paid a bit more attention this time. When I first entered the Woods after solving the Portal this time, performance in general was noticeably laggy; i.e., simply walking to the first Quest Stone was a bit skippy. The first Willow video then followed suit, with the video lagging behind the audio. During my first quest in the Woods, the lagginess continued, and I saw the same effect during the second Willow video. It wasn't until I'd cast on the Pixie and started for the Outpost Quest Stone that things smoothed out, and the next video, and all the remaining ones, were fine.

3. Yeah, I know this has been discussed already, but the repetitive music in the CC is still distracting. While we may be used to it, and while new players, especially kids, might not care, it worries me that MQO, when released, will be covered closely, and critically, by the gaming press. Cyan's attention to detail is legendary, and as such, It just seems to me that the repetitive music might be mentioned in a negative light. IMHO, of course!

4. The point-of-view anomaly that occurs after casting on Twisted Woods float stones is still present. Odd, since it's not an issue with the CC stones.

5. Last, and by no means least, is the Shadow Morph magic words thing. Again, this is something that's been discussed a lot, but the fact remains that if you don't know those words, you're dead in the water when it comes time to unlock the Twisted Woods portal. It's all too easy to miss their significance during the Shadow Morph monologue, even though she stresses their importance. Ideally, she might have said something about writing them down, and perhaps repeated them for emphasis. Yeah, it's a well-known issue. But a lot of us seem to concur on this one!

I can't really think of anything else at the moment. Seen from the future players' standpoints, none of them, bar the Shadow words, are that big a deal. But again, with MQO being Cyan's momentous return to the market after a long delay, these few minor issues could well come up in the press as being departures from Cyan's usual standard.

Cheers,

MQOwog

Last edited by Mowog on Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:30 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

With regard to Mowog's points:

1. has irritated me ever since I first saw it, and yes it can be seen in many places, although it is most noticeable by the river. It's been around for long time and hasn't been fixed, so I have to take it that's "low priority" and won't be fixed for this Chapter.

2. I've been finding a touch more lag this build: More a feeling of it than a measurable thing, but I'd been putting it down to different level of internet traffic due to the holidays, even though lag is usually a client side thing.

3. Yeah, that.

4. The camera hold actually feels worse to me now. Maybe I'm remembering things wrongly, but I thought that previously the coloured stones in the woods weren't affected by this and it was confined to the grey stones, although they are both definitely affected now.

5. Problem with the Shadow words is that either all of the morph speeches need to go into the BoW or none of them do, otherwise the BoW becomes inconsistent. Looks like the decision has been made that none of the morph speeches go in. While there is a lot of opinion (including mine) that says these are too much for anyone to remember on a single reading, I know there are other opinions that either it isn't too much to work out by trial and error or that there needs to be at least one real challenge in the game. I dunno :?

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:56 am 
Obduction Backer

I only did a reset on the TWF quests.
All thing seems to go well, except the question mark symbol on the wall, that I could not activate and use the chisel rune on it in my second walkthrough. I got I nice set of 2's on TWF runes anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:43 am 
Obduction Backer

I found the question mark rune would not work unless you listened to Lokari's "free" speech. Once I did that it worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

I did that and took all hist payed hits too.
Ik worked OKanyway on the first TWF quest round after an avi reset on the previous build
It still does not work for me.
I will try a complete avi reset agan and see what happens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:33 pm 

The Quest Stone reset does not reset all your "history", i.e. your BoW entries remain. You can't reactivate the Dark Rune (question mark) after you've been to the Golem. So, even though you've reset at the QS, the game "remembers" that you've already passed the point where you need the clue, so you don't get the option to use it.

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

I still could use the Chisel Rune on tyhe symbol option after having completed the first round.
I will recheck tomorrow.

Edit 31-12-09.: I did an avi reset ad a full play of all quest in all the available realms, but did not buy the additional hints from Lokari this first time.Then a TWF quest reset and a replay of all TWF quest including all the hints for Lokari before beating Kalo for the 2-nd time.
I could not reproduce the problem, so I assume it may have been caused by small differences between 2 succesive builds.

Last edited by JanB on Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:36 am 
Obduction Backer

Mowog wrote:
4. The point-of-view anomaly that occurs after casting on Twisted Woods float stones is still present. Odd, since it's not an issue with the CC stones.

This is not really an anomaly. The point of view changes on purpose here because you need to be able to look past the avatar to see what is underneath the stones.
Neither is it an anomaly that the pov does not change immediately when you move away. Within the Plasma engine this is all very logical. The chain of events needs to finish before you can get your normal camera angle back.

That does not mean it cannot be fixed. An extra camera region could be placed around each stone which restore the default avatar camera triggered upon exiting the region.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm 

D'Lanor wrote:
Mowog wrote:

This is not really an anomaly. The point of view changes on purpose here because you need to be able to look past the avatar to see what is underneath the stones.

That's a good point. I hadn't considered that there was nothing under the courtyard stones, hence the more "straight ahead" POV isn't an issue there. I also understand the logic of the camera being held until the stone action completes; it's just a bit disorienting when you run off with camera still offset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Good point, Delanor, and I concur. For that matter, the effect would be beneficial when casting on the flowers as well. Not that there's anything special to be seen when the flowers bloom, but our avvies usually block the animation.

MQOwog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:27 am 

things are looking good, i suppose a release is coming soon. Happy New Year to everyone :)

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Happy New Year to everyone

Thanks for the thought, Chris! The same goes out to all of you from all of me. (?)

Seriously, even with a few little warts (well, okay... and one big one... the Shadow words), I think we'll have some exciting times ahead of us in the very near future, when MQO emerges, blinking, into the sunlight. I think it will be well received. Most of all, I hope that our groundwork has made it possible for Cyan and Creative Kingdoms to produce new chapters much more easily, now that most of the initial bugs have been worked out. I would LOVE to see MQO hit the ground running, and for Chapter One to be the first of many. I'm eagerly looking forward to future installments. Cyan has a history of making any new project more intriguing than the previous ones, and it would be great to see that ol' Cyan magic work its way into new chapters in a very real way.

Cheers,

MQOwog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm looking forward to playing it, and reviewing it. I got a message saying I was in, and would be testing, but I never got a link as to where to download the software. Then I got all busy (big changes in my life) and I didn't follow up. Maybe I can test next time.

Cyan actually has a history of "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory", as they say. We all know the history. The big seller is still Myst. However, I'm thinking that it will be different, this time! :D .

My concern -- that MagiQuest and Cyan continue to focus on who the game is targeted to, the market. If it's supposed to be people who play or want to play real life MagiQuest -- that appears to be a different market, mostly, from the small number of devoted Uru fans who are now careful and enthusiastic beta testers. I don't care if MagiQuest Online appeals to me, though it looks charming. My preference is for it to sell big time in the Creative Kingdoms market.

I like all sorts of games, and I play MMORPGs. What's kind of interesting, even freaky to me, is seeing the Cyan landscape in what looks like a classic sword and scorcery game for kids, though heavier on the sorcery than sword. Am I the only person who noticed this? Remember, fans used to talk often about how deep the Uru story was, something they said Cyan was known for -- none of this simple RPG stuff! Now it's different. You've even got classic monsters -- that ogre you throw a hammer at (in the video) -- the one who comes form a rock -- looks pretty classic RPG monster to me!

Don't get me wrong -- I've been really enjoying the threads, and the game looks adorable. I did enjoy the sense of humor in the game, which you see in some RPGs nowadays. When that pixie elf person jumps into the landscape she stumbles and has to reorient herself. It's funny, a nice touch for an RPG that appears to be on the sunny side, in terms of story.

I'm going to buy MagiQuest online, and maybe I can test next time. But I'm not going to pretend that the fine looking MagiQuest Online is something that it's not. That would be doing a disservice to the MagiQuest company, Creative Kingdoms, to Cyan and to the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

mszv wrote:
I'm looking forward to playing it, and reviewing it. I got a message saying I was in, and would be testing, but I never got a link as to where to download the software.

You were meant to come and get that yourself. :) Now you're in this lower forum section, From the Developer has everything you require.

MQO download

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:07 am 
Obduction Backer

Gee, never saw that on the forum -- "eyes but they don't see"! Thanks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next