It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:36 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:35 pm 

Done and thx again for this chance to test

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:30 am 

Mowog wrote:
Done here too. As for the time question, I mentioned that by the time the later puzzles came online, we'd mastered the earlier ones, making it difficult to estimate the time it would take a newbie to run the whole chapter.

Mowog

:? I concur Mowog - the question didn't appear relevant to a beta tester who had worn the T-shirt (if you get my drift). I was quite critical of the complete episode in the sense that one would be paying money to play a short game with an anti-climax - unless you lived within reach of the nearest MQ site. In my opinion it won't work - I think they have to be kept apart. An episodical (is that a word?) online game - or a RL family MQ site.

While the programmers undoubtedly listened to the testers - the game still appeared 'childish', almost like a walkthrough adventure game. Ok - ok - I hear what you are saying... this game isn't just for adults - it's for families and kids to enjoy together. Problem is - how do you beta test a game for kids? - I presume all our beta testers are adults?

Look around you - today’s kids will always enjoy the physical and intrigue in RL MQ sites - but when it comes to online video games - they want to play what Mom and Dad are playing! And... Believe me there aren't many Moms and Dads who'll relish clicking on pixies. I know I'll get a lot of flak for this post - but get real - has anyone really sat down with a child and played this? I think most kids would be bored out their skulls after five minutes.

On the bright side - as an online game it has potential. There is a good background of mystique and magic - the graphics are good - we just need a better storyline and good posers to tax the brain. Then the kids can turn 'round and say - Mom, can you help me here - I'm stuck...

My two cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm no expert on child psychology, but...

Tokai wrote:
I think most kids would be bored out their skulls after five minutes.

On the contrary, I think it's more likely children will find the gameplay novel. That of course depends on the age group. Perhaps I'm assuming too young an audience.

Quote:
Then the kids can turn 'round and say - Mom, can you help me here - I'm stuck...

Children generally like having a sense of accomplishment and independence. Being able to do something without needing help from an adult is not only fulfilling but can be an important part of learning new skills that will serve them well as teenagers and as adults.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:06 am 

Thanks for the opportunity to test. I filled out the survey also. :D

LAHI

KI# 00270844
"...there is always more than one way to skin a reekoo" - Aitrus, BoT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm not sure about the "Bored kids" observation. Depends on the kid, really! Kids who are into fast-paced action games may or may not be attracted to MQO, but you never know. Many in the Uru community are into different gaming genres, and appreciated the difference in Uru.

I guess my thought is that MagiQuest Live has built up a fan base, and it's that type of fan who will be attracted to MQO. The advantage is that MQO gives you the MQ experience without the travel.

Time will tell!

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

did the survey...

I also had difficulty with the question per how long to complete, as I never completed it in Beta. But then even Uru I was able to complete in 2 weeks, with help from online hints and walkthroughs. (I'm referring to the the first time I played Uru, not those 6 hour run-through's we were all able to do towards the end.....had a sticky note taped to the pc with any numerical answers, so I didnt hafta remember another set of numbers.)

But with the help of the online community, I was able to complete Uru within a few weeks, so I imagine that would be similar for this game as well. Especially if I was trying to play alongside of a child, and trying to let them solve everything, and not solve stuff for them. Allow them time to figure it out for themselves.

I would still allow a child I was helping play MagiQuest, to also look online for hints and stuff. The ability to look for an answer online is similar to being good at using the library and an encyclopedia back in 1972. You have to be able to know how to ask the question, and then filter out extraneous , and sometimes inappropriate, stuff, to find the correct and appropriate answers.

So a good game over all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:59 am 
Obduction Backer

Done

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2