It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:26 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:03 pm 

Ok - I'm just a player - not very tech savy. I download the MQExplorer from the ftp site save it to download folder and run it. The run goes smoothly all files download and I get the log in screen. I don't log in because I know I won't be on the accounts list until after 3 pm PST today. Screen goes away and I'm looking for the Icon for the game on my desktop - nothing. Ok - no problem - I'll just look for it's folder in Programs (I'm running XP). No folder under Cyan - MagiQuest - MQOnline etc. Ok - do a search I guess. The only thing I came up with was the empty folder in My Documents. Where are all the files I just downloaded?

PS: As a past beta tester I know that I should be looking for MQLauncher (something a new player would not know) and I did find the application in my downloads folder - but where did all the files that were downloaded with MQExplorer go? How are new players going to find the game's folder so they can make a shortcut for their desktop?

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:12 pm 

Have you checked the download folder, the one you downloaded the MQExplorer too. The install doesn't create a folder it just downloads all the game data into the folder you ran the MQExplorer from. In my case all over my desktop lol.
You should see three folders:
avi
dat
sfx
and the following files
binkw32.dll
eax.dll
inetcomm.dll
MQExplorer.exe
MQLauncher.exe
msvcp71.dll
msvcr71.dll
msvcrt.dll
NxCharacter.dll
NxCooking.dll
NxExtensions.dll
OpenAL32.dll
PhysX_Setup.exe
PhysXLoader.dll
readme.txt
ReleaseNotes.txt
TOS.txt
wrap_oal.dll

When you have located them all create a new folder called MQ Beta or something similiar in a convenient place. Then copy and paste all the listed folders and files into it. When you have done that you can make a shortcut for MQExplorer.exe and put that on the Desktop. You then can click the shorycut to start thr game. Alternatively just create a folder for the game, copy the installer from the FTP site into it and re-run the install from there, when its downloaded crete a shortcut to MQexplorer and put on the desktop and your good to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:39 pm 

After writing the OP I did. And I found the Launcher along with three folders - avi, sfx, and dat. Put them in a folder that is now sitting on my desktop. But read what I wrote in the first paragraph as a new player - kid or parent - who is used to seeing an Icon show up on their desktop for the new game they just installed, that when clicked starts it. Or if no Icon, going to Programs to find the folder where all the game's files are so they can make a shortcut. Can you see the confusion? Can you see the frustration?

PS: Did not know the single files were also for MQO - have added them to the folder. I really really hope that when the Game launches for real they've modified the download so that all folders/files go into one folder that the average player can easily find.

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Last edited by Kero on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:42 pm 

This is just a temporary download process for the Beta. I,m sure there will be nice well behaved installer which nicely ask where to put the files and create a game folder to download into and then ask where you would like your shortcuts and what menues you want the game on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:51 pm 

Hmmm....

After going through your list of files darkstar I seem to be missing inetcomm.dll and readme.txt. Are these files that if missing would cause problems?

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:03 pm 

The readme wont but inetcomm.dll definitely will cause problems if it is not in the folder with the other files. It should be with the other files, but if you can't find it I would suggest you go with my second suggestion of creating a folder and re-downloading the game into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

inetcomm.dll and readme.txt have nothing to do with MQO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't have inetcomm.dll in the MQO folder either and I have no problems at all. There is an inetcomm.dll file in my Windows\System32 folder though.

Edit: And a small correction. You don't download MQExplorer.exe from the ftp site but MQLauncher.exe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:24 pm 

Thanks for the correction realXCV. As i said it downloaded to my desktop originally and I must have picked these two spurious files up when i put the game into a folder. Sorry about the misinformation. I just re-downloaded and can confirm that the readme and inetcomm.dll are not part of the MQ download.

Thanks D'Lanor for the correction as well, this what comes of trying to be helpful but not checking your facts. Unnecessary confusion. Definitely a case of less haste more speed lol.

Sorry for the miss-direction Kero hope I haven't confused you to much

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:49 pm 

NP darkstar - and I'm sure I added to the confusion when I stated in the OP that I had downloaded MQExplorer. So just so I'm on the right page - you first download MQLauncher - run it - and then get MQExplorer and all it's relavent folders/files in whatever folder you had placed Launcher - yes?

Sorry for all the silly confusion - but you have to admit the download thread is not very clear on what you have to do other then download Launcher and run. :roll:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:55 pm 

Spot on. Just download MQLauncher into folder you want the game in. Run it the game resources will be downloaded into the folder. Once thats done make a shortcut to MQExplorer and put it on the desktop. Your now ready to log in.

Incidentally see you in the game. Have fun and squash those bugs.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]