It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:01 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:23 pm 

Ack you're right, even though nobody can find them if they don't know what they are called :P Thanks, I removed them :)

Edit, Mac_Fife, I disabled network sharing of Windows Media Player (how I hate that thing) but alas, still laggy as ever. The pattern is definitely different now, it starts with no lag, then within a few minutes of running around lag builds up and makes moving very hard. Adam, I actually didn't think it was the connection either, since it starts well after I get in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:15 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I think we're going to have to try and sanitize the processes you've got running. As I said before, I don't know Vista, but 80+ seems like far too many. My office PC is a pretty swoopy spec, but all the background rubbish our IT people insist on running knocks the process count up above 60 and at times the machine really slows down.

As Adam quite rightly points out, the lag we saw in MOUL was almost entirely down to the client side, trying to compute what to draw, etc., so if your PC is getting loaded up with "junk" it can impact MQO.

Back in MOUL days, I remember a few people took special care to ensure they were running as little as possible, before starting the game. But machine specs then were generally a lot poorer than yours :?

What's really confusing is that you've seen a "step change" since the update, although you've not (knowingly) changed anything else at your end. I'd be surprised if anything in the MQO client update changed things that much, and we'd probably hear of several people suffering if that were the case.

I'm not really suspecting a virus or trojan here; I'm more thinking about something that wants to run cyclically on a very frequent basis and doesn't like it when MQO tries to use most of the compute resources. Maybe running something like HijackThis (in scan only mode) to capture what's running might give a clue.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

You know, this does make you think about what might happen if MQO suffers from the same lag issues we grew to know and love (?) in Uru. You'd like to think that MQO will draw a pretty large following, and lag could be a real show-stopper - particularly if the main audience is kids and other non-technical sorts. (And yeah, I realize that a lot of kids are more proficient than I am at this sort of thing.)

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Just tested the game with shadows and all settings maxed in a 1280x800 window. The game was slightly slower than normal but still quite playable. I was alone in a multiplayer instance (Blorfloog) I had about 100 processes running in Vista

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:01 pm 

Today I did some testing after I had killed about any process I knew what I was killing :D For example, Skype, MSN, Media Player services, Google Desktop, iTunes services (why DO they run while I haven't even started it? :roll: Grr!) and *gasp* Avast antivirus. With that, I managed to cut it down to about 45 processes, mostly Windows Host stuff that I didn't dare touch :?

So I don't think I run a LOT of fancy or useless programs actually (ok useless perhaps, but it's not MY fault some are part of Windows, lol)... but to the point... the results :lol: Lag was significantly less even after running 5 minutes non stop (a guaranteed show stopper before), and the CPU never reached higher than 85-90%. Before, it reached the 100% line in no time.

Hopefully these results help others with the same problem... kids nowadays NEED their MSN and iTunes so we might see more of it :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:41 pm 

Sounds hopeful, Sophia! I would have re-formatted a week ago! :)

What's going on with my favorite free anti-virus programs? AVG has grown in size and intrusion, limiting options. Two weeks ago, I finally deleted Avast because it was sucking resources and I had no idea how to turn it off (and I was only use two features!)--I corrected a huge problem I was having with Second Life by deleting Avast. Kapersky has always given me trouble, likewise Avira.

Today, I run no antivirus. I sweep with Malwarebyes and Spybot daily and I click on nothing sent to me. No, it's not ideal, but I hate surfing angry :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:15 am 

Well...................................

I owe y'all who spent so much time helping me troubleshoot my lag a huge big apology, we finally found the culprit :oops: What it was: DUST. Yes, my CPU just couldn't breathe, and finally today, when my computer quit altogether, it dawned on us. Mur took it apart and blew it out, it made a sand storm that could be seen in the Sahara. Also the layer of dirt on the CPU fan was enough to fill the North Sea. To cut a long story short, when he put it back in its place, spick & span & shiny clean, all my woes were over. In fact not just MQO is lag free now (with webcam and all 88 processes running), but other programs that seemed sluggish run a lot faster too.

I'm sorry I gave you all a bit of a runaround, but at least we know.... Actually I should have guessed a lot earlier, because the longer the puter was on, the more trouble I got. I kept thinking it had a memory leak, but in fact it suffered from a heatstroke! Please don't kick me out of the beta, love being here... now that I can finally enjoy it :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:50 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Sophia, I used to do a lot of computer service work connected to software systems I developed. One day a client called at the beginning of the day to say the software wasn't working. Nothing was appearing on the screen. We went around for a few minutes checking things. Anything I directed he try on the keyboard or to confirm physical connections was ineffective. Finally, I asked, "Is the computer on?" Silence. "Oh," he said. We were friendly so when I was done laughing I told him, "It's like a TV. You have to turn it on to watch."

Get the picture? Sometimes we just don't expect to go to that level of thinking. And dust or thermal issues is way, way above observing whether one's computer has been turned on or not.

Some day I'll tell the story about the call I got when an elderly woman couldn't find the space bar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

We have a term here at work that describes some of the trouble calls we get from schoolteachers:

PICNIC; meaning, "Problem In Chair, Not In Computer."

:wink:

Seriously, thanks for that report, Sophia! While I keep my home PC pretty clean as a rule, my system here at work (Shhh) has been ridiculously slow of late, and no amount of system cleanups and defragging is making much of a difference. I may just open it here shortly and make a few dust clouds.

Cheers,

Mowog

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4