It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:03 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Text Chat
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Hi,

I was in the game tonight and someone was having problems using chat without typing shift-Y first. I went and looked the Key map under navigation controls and found something was mapped to start chat. In my case is was Y, so I tried to make it unmapped but could not figure out how. I finally mapped "Y" to something else and start chat went to unmapped. I used the technique to unmap all the keyboard motion keys A,S,W,D, because I never use those for navigation, I used Y for each one and the previous "Y function" changed to unmapped. At the last key, D for example, I made it "Page up" a key I never us in playing the game. Now my chat start on the first letter and everything is cool.

However, when you link out, the "Y" comes back to the start chat function. All the other mappings stick, but the start chat gets the Y again. (I already submitted a ticket on this). So you can "fix" your text chat, but you will need to remember to fix it again each time you link.

Hope this helps,

Golden Wedge
"Best, guarantees different"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, for some reason yesterday, while testing together with Donahoo, everytime I would type something that started with 'w' I kept leaping forward a step and my chat would be missing the first letter! :lol: She figured it out that the mapping was causing that. After messing around with the mapping settings, we finally got everything set proper. I didn't notice the Y mapping, but I did turn off a bunch of them, except of course the arrow keys. I didn't have any problems today, during the stress test, so apparently I'm still good to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:44 am 
Obduction Backer

Just curious... how did you know to hit SHIFT-Y to initiate text chat?

I sat there like a mute while folks tried to chat with me and I couldn't type. I saw this post afterwards.

ALSO, they were able to VOICE-CHAT with me. I hit the TAB key and spoke but they could not hear. My mike is set up and can record on programs in Windows, but my microphone volume setting in "settings" (question mark lower right in the game) always goes back to ZERO after I try to slide it up to full volume. Anyone know why this is? What is the key to getting voice chat microphone setting up to stay up?

I am using Vista Home Premium.

Thanks, Dadguy :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ah, so THAT'S why my text chats were losing the first letter or two. Good thread, I'll be following this one!

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Could it be that somebody edited their key mapping and the change was propagated to all people present in the realm?

Hmm, let me check if mine is still at the default values.

Edit: Yes, I had the default values (start chat unmapped) but when I pressed the "defaults" button it put a Y there! And it could not be removed. :x

The only way to get it back to unmapped would be hacking the ini file I guess...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:58 pm 

OMG, D'L, thanks for the tip. I almost did exactly as you did. I'm leaving mine as is, unmapped. But, man, that's a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

D'Lanor wrote:
Could it be that somebody edited their key mapping and the change was propagated to all people present in the realm?

Edit: Yes, I had the default values (start chat unmapped) but when I pressed the "defaults" button it put a Y there! And it could not be removed. :x

The only way to get it back to unmapped would be hacking the ini file I guess...

This happened to me as well I can't seem to put it "back", but then I am not really sure what it is supposed to be as default anyway LOL :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hmm, now where is that "unmapped" key? Must be close to the "any" key...

Bah, forget about that ini file. That was TPOTS. It seems MOUL moved the keymap configuration to an online chronicle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

D'Lanor wrote:

A week or so before the stress test, I reported the bug that several keys were mapped to movements and you were unable to begin a chat with any of them. Support e-mailed me back that they were unaware of the bug and would have it fixed in the next build. Perhaps the newly mapped key is their fix?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Woah. I thought my default was mapped. I changed all those lettered keys to unmapped while we were all in the Portal Well during the stress test. I thought it was odd they were mapped, but so many things are odd in beta . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

More weirdness. During and after the stress test, I was unable to see chat. I could type on the screen, but it would disappear and I wasn't able to see anyone else's or my chat.

I deleted the launchers and moved files then chat showed up. Hooray! I submitted a ticket and logs on both instances.

Now, today I was talking to Romer and Zam. Everything was fine until I had to log out and back to be able to go through the portal in Blorfloog (strange name that one). When I came back, no more chat showing up. I tried a private instance and still no chat. I hope it comes back but I don't know if it will. Should I submit another log and ticket or add to the existing ticket with another log file?

Win 7 64bit-Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz-4GB mem-EVGA GeForce GTX 260oc-Creative SB X-Fi Extreme Gamer - 15MB fiber optic conn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sharaya wrote:
More weirdness. During and after the stress test, I was unable to see chat. I could type on the screen, but it would disappear and I wasn't able to see anyone else's or my chat.

I deleted the launchers and moved files then chat showed up. Hooray! I submitted a ticket and logs on both instances.

Now, today I was talking to Romer and Zam. Everything was fine until I had to log out and back to be able to go through the portal in Blorfloog (strange name that one). When I came back, no more chat showing up. I tried a private instance and still no chat. I hope it comes back but I don't know if it will. Should I submit another log and ticket or add to the existing ticket with another log file?

I would add the new info to the exsisting ticket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:51 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

D'Lanor wrote:

I got into the same state. Fixed it by setting start chat to '.' (period); since this was already being used for Sidestep Right it unmapped the sidestep. I then re-set Sidestep Right to '.' and I got back to an unmapped Start Chat. I expect you could go through a similar process to unmap all the unwanted ones.

Basically just a variation on Golden Wedge's solution.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, but as GW already said it won't save and the Y mapping is back at the next log in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

D'Lanor, Maybe that changed. My mapping stayed when I quit and relogged. Maybe it stays the same day, but loses after a day?

Win 7 64bit-Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz-4GB mem-EVGA GeForce GTX 260oc-Creative SB X-Fi Extreme Gamer - 15MB fiber optic conn

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next