It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:04 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:36 am 

Here's the deal. I had this annoying little bug that caused the game to hang right before you were whisked off to the avatar screen, only it was very very rare. I don't think it happened more than twice in all the times I ran the game. Customer support was hoping that with the update this little issue would magically disappear. It didn't, now it happens every time I try to run the game.

I see the little Zandi dance, wait for the upload bars to disappear, hear the swooshy new teleporting sound and then... nothing. (If you move the pointer around at this point you can see when the cursor freezes. :mrgreen:) If you open the taskmanager you can see that it's hogging up quite a bit of CPU power but I've left it for more than half an hour and it's not getting anywhere.

Nothing that I know of is blocking it and I can't really think of anything to do anymore. Maybe one of you more tech-savvy people know anything? I'll put logs on the ftp for you, and feel free to ask more questions. 8)

Good things so far: I didn't have to stay up late for the stress test aha..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sorry you are having trouble, Junee.

Just to share, my game behaves the same...Zandi dance, black screen "updating" progress bars twice, whooshing transport sound, (and here is where I am different), then back to the black screen "updating" with one more progress bar, then game starts.

Whatever is happeneing during that last "updating" screen is locking you up somehow.

Good luck,

Dadguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:54 pm 

Funny I came upon this post. That scenario just happened to me for the first time. I subsequently logged in and out multiple times to individual and shared realms, and couldn't duplicate it. Got no idea, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:20 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Does Taskmanager's "Network" tab show any (significant) activity once you get stuck, like it's still trying to download something?

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:14 pm 

I'll try to check, Mac. The pause we're talking about here is probably in the neighborhood of 20 seconds, at least for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:37 pm 

The short term "fix" for Junee and others with this issue is probably to follow Chogon's advice in this post, which was a solution to a patcher problem but may well be relevant here too:
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... c&start=85

The caveat I'd make is that this bypasses the load balancer in front of the "real" servers, so only use this "tweak" if you have a problem like Junee's (or Rusty_Russell in the other thread) and this workaround helps you. If you don't have a problem or it doesn't fix the problem you have, then don't bypass the load balancer. It's there for a reason and it mostly works OK, even it's not quite right yet. Once it's sorted out properly, then you should stop using the "tweak".

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:43 pm 

During the pause before finally going into the avie dressing room, I had 4% CPU usage and 30 fps (which is normal during load).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:50 pm 

Romer Openfield wrote:
During the pause before finally going into the avie dressing room, I had 4% CPU usage and 30 fps (which is normal during load).

I'd say you've not got Junee's problem in that case. Just a bit sluggish. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:50 am 

Mac_Fife wrote:
The short term "fix" for Junee and others with this issue is probably to follow Chogon's advice in this post, which was a solution to a patcher problem but may well be relevant here too:
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... c&start=85

Sorry, but this fix didn't work for me. :?
I don't know if the network tab question was directed at me or Romer but it makes happy little mountains during the update and when the program hangs it goes down to zero. CPU is constant around 50% compared to 25-30 during updating. What a mystery.. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:21 pm 

Junee wrote:
I don't know if the network tab question was directed at me or Romer but it makes happy little mountains during the update and when the program hangs it goes down to zero.

It was mainly aimed at you Junee, but if there's no network activity then I wouldn't expect the workaround to help you. It sounds like you're running into some kind of issue as files are being decompressed, maybe a virus scanner getting in the way or something like that, but it should still complete eventually. It doesn't really explain why this is a problem that seems to have got worse, though :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:12 pm 

Weee some success today! I am getting in now but not as often as I would like. I started keeping statistics and so far I'm averagely getting in every seventh try or so. I think I'll keep to lighter bugs for now. :mrgreen:

(My antivirus actually did a more thorough search earlier but the results now are the same as then.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:01 pm 

Junee wrote:
Weee some success today! I am getting in now but not as often as I would like. I started keeping statistics and so far I'm averagely getting in every seventh try or so. I think I'll keep to lighter bugs for now. :mrgreen:

(My antivirus actually did a more thorough search earlier but the results now are the same as then.)

Tried shutting it down while playing?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]