It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:24 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Video Issue
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:15 pm 

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone else is having a video issue. On some of the videos the audio gets ahead of the character mouth movements. Other things I have problems with sometimes the sound drops out on the video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:30 pm 

I had that before this new build but not since yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:34 pm 

nvr2old wrote:
I had that before this new build but not since yet.

I'm still having that issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:16 am 
Obduction Backer

I have it too - ticketed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Odd, I haven't had any issues at all with out-of-sync videos. Just lucky, I guess.

MQOwog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:22 pm 

I concur with Mowog, no issues with any of the videos clips. I have, however noticed the difference in sound volume between different audio clips. For one who dons a set of headphones as a permanent feature of my being when I am ‘bug hunting’ – I have to be ready to turn it up or down depending on which audio clip I am listening to (some audio clips from the morph paintings / Clan leaders vary considerably). I feel it would make a difference if the background game music was subdued a bit when they begin to talk – like the Shadow Clan leader for instance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:26 am 
Obduction Backer

I was having a similar problems after I adjusted and increased the graphics quality using the wrench/? gui. After I reduced the graphics quality to their original conservative values all my synch problems disappeared. Perhaps lowering your graphics settings might also help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:25 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I had fairly severe problems with some of the videos in the last build (mainly, it was the videos for the task assignments that were affected), and had to some extent concluded that reducing the screen resolution helped or cured the problem. From the little testing I was able to do yesterday, that problem seemed to have been resolved, but I'm now having a similar stuttering effect with the man in the tree instead, which I didn't have before :?

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I have, however noticed the difference in sound volume between different audio clips.

Excellent point, and I should have mentioned that myself! We learned something very important while producing The Cavern Today podcast: when you have audio materials provided by different people with different microphone setups, and you're trying to assemble them into a single finished production, you'll always find yourself dealing with differing volume levels! If assembling skits and things from separately recorded lines, it wasn't so bad since I could use the tools in Audacity to level the different tracks sufficiently. But for panel discussions, etc., where several participants were recording at once in Skype, it seemed like there would always be one whose recording level was noticeably lower than the others. In cases like that, we'd usually run that feature through The Levelator to even up the levels. Trouble is, unless you pay special attention to this factor, it's very easy to miss (as we found out).

But yes, Tokai - you nailed a big issue there. The videos in MQO do indeed differ in volume, to the point that I needed to adjust my volume to hear some of them. I think that one's worth a ticket.

MQOwog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:18 am 

I got choppy sound when Willow came up the second time so could not understand her directions on where to go after clicking on the Pixie. Now I can not bring that video back up and keep getting the old wizard.

No directions are in the book either on what to do or where to go nor is their anything in the black box area at the top. I got the hammer rune.

Grrrr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:10 pm 

I've noticed volume level probs but sync seems okay. I am having screen size challenges. Before the last update, the game appeared nearly normal (a bit squished vertically) at 1920x1080 on my widescreen. Now, it is quite unattractive and flattened even further. I'll have to play around.

Ah, my fault. When I re-adjusted the graphics, I moved the resolution slider one tick too short. It's fine now.

I like the new camera angles I saw. Although, still, I think the opening of the portals could somehow be more satisfying. The sounds and motions of the wand and spinning door seem not to orchestrate well, to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:04 am 
Obduction Backer

I also have the video problem where the audio gets out of sync and/or drops out. But it doesn't happen consistently, so I investigated.

I have a fairly old PC. Using Fraps, I see that I get about 15-25 FPS during gameplay in the clan courtyard, and the videos at the courtyard quest stone generally play OK.

But entering the twisted forest, my FPS drops to 7 or 8 while looking "down" the forest. (It reminds me of Eder Tsogal, which had all that lag-inducing grass.) And videos at the quest stone play horribly. But I found that if I go around the back side of the quest stone, looking back up into the dead-end of the TF, my FPS goes back up to 20, and videos play fine.

I also noticed that the videos play at the same FPS as the normal gameplay view that you're seeing right before the video starts. It seems that the graphics engine is still rendering the gameplay view and limiting the video playback to that frame-rate, even though the normal gameplay view is not visible.

So, I played around with graphics settings for a while and found that the videos play OK down to about 15 FPS. Below that, the audio gets visibly out of sync. Below 12 FPS you start getting audio dropouts. And at 7 FPS, they're unwatchable.

Turning down all my graphics settings to minimum allowed all the videos to play regardless of the environment and orientation of the avatar. It turns out the biggest impact on my PC (which has an nVidia 6200) was the anti-aliasing. Turning just that setting off (from its default setting of "2") doubled the frame rate in the TF from 7 to 14. Disabling video sync also helped. Needless to say, the graphics quality suffered accordingly. But at least I can watch the videos now, instead of having to launch them out of the AVI folder with the Bink viewer.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]