It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:36 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:38 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Paradox, please also submit your proposal to support if you haven't already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Paradox wrote:
Chogon,

Would it not be possible to use the plAvSeekMsg::kSeekFlagRotationOnly flag to force the avatar to rotate, but not seek to the object?

It looks like this could be set globally by passing that flag value (0x8, rather than 0) to the plAvSeekMsg in plAvOneShotMsg::plAvOneShotMsg().

Good find Paradox, I had forgotten about those seek flags... Now there is no excuse :D... Unless this feature never worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:48 am 

D'Lanor wrote:
Facing conditions are relative to the age coordinates. If you are on the wrong side of the object you will still be able to click it facing away. It only works well for objects that you cannot walk around. Or you need to put the click region entirely to one side, but then people will be confused about not being able to click an object from the other side.

Ah, that could be a problem. Though a possible solution to that would be to move the objects into corners (with the exception of a couple, which can't logically be moved)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

Paradox wrote:
Chogon,

Would it not be possible to use the plAvSeekMsg::kSeekFlagRotationOnly flag to force the avatar to rotate, but not seek to the object?

It looks like this could be set globally by passing that flag value (0xA [0x2 | 0x8], rather than 0x2) to the plAvSeekMsg in plAvOneShotMsg::plAvOneShotMsg().

We never used this much because it is not that useful. It will rotate the avatar in the same direction as the orientation of the seek node (i.e. they'll be parallel vectors) and not rotate towards the object of interest. So, unless you were standing on the seek node, the avatar would never point the wand at the object, which brings us back to where we are now.

The best solution would be to do some IK on the wand to point the wand at the object without having to rotate the avatar unless it was outside of a facing allowance. But that is not something we can done within schedule.

Sorry, for the tech talk.

Thanks,
Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

:lol: I Love it when you talk tech ;) Actually I even understood it :shock: (well MOST of it!)

Last edited by Mystdee on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:53 am 
Obduction Backer

I feel a bit odd about positing when the solution discussion is really beyond my abilities. But I will throw my lateral idea in here anyway in case it has some value.

Bug as feature temporary solution!

In tried and true Cyan community fastion - any bug can be magically transformed into a feature with the wave of a wand ( : ) )

Players will accept what started out as a bug if they see some magic in it..and you explain it within the context of the gameworld logic itself...

In the tutorial at the portal well - have the voice of non-smapty explain to the playerrs how magic is so very powerful that if cast from afar it will affect other objects the Magi doesn't want to affect or disturb. Allow the player one free long distance cast on a crystal. Have the tree change to a dragon and eat the player (ok or some such magical result that won't involve frightening small children). Explain that the Magi must be up close to the object in order to avoid such collatreral dam-Mage. (I know he says to get up close to it now but perhaps this can be more cleverly and creatively incorporated into the gameworld itself as well as exploit the opportunity for giving the player an enticing taste of some of the magical experiences awaiting them later in the game)

Then change all that later once the Bigger Brain Bank (BBB) gang solves it for real.

My humble two cents

nerfy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3