It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:30 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:08 pm 

ROTFL Chogon :)

i figured that about the time constraints, as i had wondered about this and decided not to ask for a change.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

CrisGer wrote:
ROTFL Chogon :)

i figured that about the time constraints, as i had wondered about this and decided not to ask for a change.

Of course, when no one points out a problem, the developers never know how many people find something annoying. Just because there's not enough time between Beta and Live doesn't mean the suggestion doesn't count for anything. I'd say this decision is harmful than constructive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:40 pm 

Oh Chogon........... :roll: :lol:

@D'lanor

It's a hold over in my book because it's a MO:UL behavior, the fact that the game is running on plasma is beside the point. I am looking forward to the possability that Plasma if MQ is declared a success and keeps getting funded will eventually become littered with MQ querks instead of Uru querks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:34 am 
Site Admin

AdamJohnso wrote:
Of course, when no one points out a problem, the developers never know how many people find something annoying.

Right. Just because "Chogon" said something is not doable at the moment doesn't mean you should not submit tickets about it. We *do* value your opinion and volume does help in setting priorities.

Thanks,
Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:31 am 
Obduction Backer

I think this is kind of odd, this conversation - in the very first build we got to see I COULD stand far from the crystals and cast on them - no I couldn't run around doing it, but I could more or less stand close to the center near the tree and just turn my avi and find a hotspot from quite a distance. (third person) meaning I didn't have to run around to get them all and stand close to them.

I remember it distinctly cause it was a discovery and seemed like a good change frorm Uru.

I was disappointed to see it go in the multiplayer version, but I thought this was a deliberate change so I didn't report it. But yes, in this version you have to get up right close and way too personal.

Was I dreaming? Anyone else know what I am talking about?

nerrfy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:33 am 
Obduction Backer

MustardJeep wrote:
@D'lanor

It's a hold over in my book because it's a MO:UL behavior, the fact that the game is running on plasma is beside the point. I am looking forward to the possability that Plasma if MQ is declared a success and keeps getting funded will eventually become littered with MQ querks instead of Uru querks.

It is not beside the point. You have to make a clear distinction between the game and its engine. Cyan is working on a game which just happens to use the Plasma engine that was also used for MOUL. The way I interpret Chogon's post is that at this point they are not making changes to the engine itself due to time constraints (or perhaps because of the upcoming open sourcing?)

Edit: Ok, this may be off topic but I am going to elaborate on my last remark... I think that open sourcing the engine will benefit both Uru and MQO. I can only imagine the strain it must have been for Cyan to manage game engine development as well as game content with limited resources. Open Source can relieve that strain. For example, Chogon could drop a hint to the open source community: "Hmm, wouldn't it be nice to have this feature..." And the open source developers would rush off and implement it. :wink:

The new feature would then be available for both Uru and MQO. A win win situation. However, that can only work by a complete separation of game and engine, especially in terms of licensing.

So MustardJeep, we may be saying the same thing after all in different ways. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:51 am 

Just from my use of the (evil spooky) PyPRP, I remember there is something that could work. Instead of having a seek point, why not merely have the object have a low facing condition. This would force a player to turn his/her avvie to point at or close-enough-to the object being cast. As far as I can see, the facing condition is independent of the seek point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:56 am 
Obduction Backer

Facing conditions are relative to the age coordinates. If you are on the wrong side of the object you will still be able to click it facing away. It only works well for objects that you cannot walk around. Or you need to put the click region entirely to one side, but then people will be confused about not being able to click an object from the other side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:00 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Nyrphame wrote:
in the very first build we got to see I COULD stand far from the crystals and cast on them... Was I dreaming?

That's right, and there was no seek. But neither was there a wand cast animation. Now there is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Good thread, folks. I'd also noticed this behavior, and while it usually wasn't that big a deal, there were times when my avvie had to do quite a bit of footwork to reach the required casting position. Seemed like it took longer to find the right position than it did to actually cast, and that was a little distracting.

I also didn't report it, figuring that the developers probably had much larger fish to fry, and that such issues could be worked out later as the game matures and time permits.

Cheers,

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:49 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Mowog wrote:
I also didn't report it, figuring that the developers probably had much larger fish to fry, and that such issues could be worked out later as the game matures and time permits.

I can't speak for sure for Cyan developers, but it's very rewarding to get all those small reports, even if the fixes are already planned, when you get to see a huge chunk of open issues instantly resolved and you have an idea of how many people you just made happy. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:07 pm 

Okay.....

willl report any and all thoughs and percieved problems.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:31 pm 

D'Lanor wrote:
I think that open sourcing the engine will benefit both Uru and MQO. I can only imagine the strain it must have been for Cyan to manage game engine development as well as game content with limited resources. Open Source can relieve that strain. For example, Chogon could drop a hint to the open source community: "Hmm, wouldn't it be nice to have this feature..." And the open source developers would rush off and implement it. :wink:

/off topic

Ooooooh I can just imagine your sticky admin fingers on the code, D'l, Plasma will never look the same ever after :lol:

/on topic

I too agree that casting should be possible from any reasonable spot, except perhaps the wand should point at the object... Cyan, Make It Sew! Or have D'lan take a look at it :D

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:18 pm 

Chogon,

Would it not be possible to use the plAvSeekMsg::kSeekFlagRotationOnly flag to force the avatar to rotate, but not seek to the object?

It looks like this could be set globally by passing that flag value (0xA [0x2 | 0x8], rather than 0x2) to the plAvSeekMsg in plAvOneShotMsg::plAvOneShotMsg().

Last edited by Paradox on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

:shock:

That's easy for you to say ...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next