It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:16 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:10 pm 

I was just in Blorfloog with Ayli and later Mystdee and we all experianced different stauses of the gate to the Portal Well in Majestic. Ayli opened it whilst I was there. She could see it open but it was closed for me. She left for the Well and I then opened the gateway and when Mystdee arrived she could see it open initially. But after a short while it was closed for her. It was open for me for the entire time.
I think some planned testing needs to be organised for this so that we can work what the conditions which cause some all or none to see the Portal with the same status.
If people have any suggestions please post here and we can try and organise something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Good idea Darkstar, I saw it open until I went through it and came back then it was closed. I tried to suggest that you go through after I opened it again, but for some reason my chat quit working couldn't type a thing. I logged out and went back but you had gone. ;)

Maybe we should file a group ticket on what we've seen so far. I dumped the logs when I knew we had different things showing did you? if not may be best to start again and try to get logs at the same occurance time. :)

Last edited by Mystdee on Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:05 pm 

Sorry about that Mystdee lost chat, so I logged out to try and recover it, but RL intervened. I have the logs for my entire session. But a retest would do no harm.
We need three I think
Two in age to start, one opens the portal other confirms what they see (if the bug is consistent should be seen as closed by second player)
First player uses portal, second player opens it
Third player links in should see portal open but should close after a shortime.
If we can replicate that we will have a good basis to work from.
It will take me about another half hour to work out the RL thing I will then log back in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:04 pm 

I have raised a ticket for this bug reference 8249-YAXB-7587.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

I loaded my logs to the ftp Darkstar so you can get them is that how you want to handle it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:29 pm 

Sure Mystdee I'll go pick them up and attach them to the ticket
10.32 Done lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Just thinking out loud - this is an interesting quandary.

The portal should appear open to anyone who's cast on all the crystals and then cast on the portal. That much is obvious. But how should the portal appear to others; for example, players who haven't yet cast on the crystals, or players who have cast on the crystals, but not on the portal?

Also, if a player casts on the crystals and portal, thus opening it, will others be able to link through as well, rather like the Delin and Tsogahl doors? I'm thinking not, since it seems that you should be opening the portal by your own actions, and not taking advantage of the actions of other players - with the possible exception that you're part of a group, with individual players' actions benefiting the entire group as discussed in another thread.

Summing up, if I've arrived in the Portal Well for the very first time as a new player, and other players are in various stages of activating the portal(s) by casting on the crystals and portals, what should I see? And would it make more sense to have the Portal Well individually instanced, like the Nexus in Uru?

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

It seems obvious to me that everyone in the same Portal Well at the same time should see the same state of the portals, but then I'm a physicist and not too well versed in matters of magic :). It didn't even occur to me that anything else could have been intended.

Also, based on the assumption that all inconsistencies we're seeing are multiplayer bugs and things work properly in single-player domains, my guess is that the portals are supposed to close behind you after you link through. Whether you should be able to link through a portal that someone else opened, I have no idea. I would prefer it from a least-suspension-of-disbelief (or Occam's-razor or whatever you want to call it) point of view, but I see your gameplay reasoning.

I think it would be helpful in allocating our testing effort if the developers could tell us about such choices. It's hard to judge whether something works properly when you don't know how it's supposed to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Just curious, but are we supposed to have to click all the crystals all over again to be able to open the Majestic Portal? If so, then I'm experiencing a bug. I don't ever have to do that. I just link in at the beginning and click the portal and it opens each time.

Win 7 64bit-Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz-4GB mem-EVGA GeForce GTX 260oc-Creative SB X-Fi Extreme Gamer - 15MB fiber optic conn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:17 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Ok, it seems to be the general preference of the designers to leave Portal Well multiuser. I agree. Getting a group together as quickly as possible is important, but it is true that portal access with the multiuser POV is problematic without making Portal Well single-user and letting Domain get applied everywhere else. But that exception could be confusing and it doesn't let people easily and immediately get together by default.

With Portal Well multiuser, the game could then do what makes the most possible sense such as simply being not allowed through unless you solved the requirements. Maybe with a bug zapper (Chogon calls it "the big Bzzzzzzzt sound") or forcefield sound effect as an audible cue. That hopefully would not offend purists too much. That said, the single-user idea will remain open if the multiplayer bugs can't be fixed in time for launch.

It should go without saying that your tickets documenting the multiuser bugs and problems are very helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:00 am 

Clarification required here. The bug I am reporting is not with the Portal in the Well but with the Portal in Majestic which returns you to the Well. Logically all players in Majestic have already activated the crystals and opened the Portal to get to Majestic. Game status changes such as the opening of Portals should either be visible to all or only visible to the person who instigated the change. My personal preference would be it to be for all as this would be the most 'logical' but I can live with only the person undertaking the action seeing them. Whatever the decision it should be consistent. A secondary but as important consideration is if all can see the Portal open, who can use it? Doors which you can see open but not use whilst others can are going to be a source of confusion and irritation.

Last edited by darkstar on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:33 am 
Obduction Backer

There is a whole other thread about that, darkstar.

Multiplayer Gamestopper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:08 pm 

Sharaya wrote:
Just curious, but are we supposed to have to click all the crystals all over again to be able to open the Majestic Portal? If so, then I'm experiencing a bug. I don't ever have to do that. I just link in at the beginning and click the portal and it opens each time.

Mine works without re-clicking the crystals as well. I don't think that's a bug; once it's "unlocked" you shouldn't have to do it again every time you want to use it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:30 pm 

Nope Rusty this is similar but not the same
1. The thread you point to was started before the latest release my bug is post the latest release.
2. The bug described involves the Portal that goes from the Well to Majestic mine concerns the portal from Majestic to the Well.
3. All players who experience this bug would have activated the crystals and activated the Portal from the Well to Majestic, this is not true for the bug the thread you linked to Rusty.

For the above reasons I submit this is a distinct separate bug which may be related to the bug with the Well Portal.

Last edited by darkstar on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

darkstar, your 1 and 3 are my experience - latest build, all crystals activated. We differ on 2. I'd just done the tutorial.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next