It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:57 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:00 am 

The new way of opening portals seams a bit over complicated and annoying. Plus now new tutorial sounds will need to be made. Does anyone else feel that it should be changed back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Either that, or let us watch the Woodsy video over and over to figure it out. Once was not enough, even though I took notes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:06 am 

Well what I mean is for the portal well and clan courtyard portals its kinda stupid to have to pick the rune then cast. For the twisted woods the words of willow simply need to be transcribed in the book of wisdom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Teknobubba wrote:
Either that, or let us watch the Woodsy video over and over to figure it out. Once was not enough, even though I took notes.

Since all the other videos are transcribed, and it's mentioned that we don't have to worry because we can read the transcripts (technology!) then it doesn't make sense to leave out this important order of rune casting.

"If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:44 am 

Except that (at the moment) the transcripts are broken. Going through the items in the "Book of Wisdom" (Where the transcripts should be) shows the wrong thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:09 am 
Obduction Backer

After I have read the portal order solution as posted by painter.. http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18359, I was able to get in, and after that it is rather simple on the next entries to the portal.
Finding that order however needs more clues that you should be able to read back.

Last edited by JanB on Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:21 pm 

What is the youngest age of children expect to be playing this? Way too complicated and particularly if you leave for bed time and try to come back and try to remember what step does what. I can't remember what rune is what. There needs to be some better help in the book and the quoted 4 words to be used in sequence, I couldn't pronounce those words if I wanted to. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

I expect that this game will be E rated, perhaps even EC.
As far as I know all the Myst games, including Uru were E rated.(for European standards Pegi 3)

Do you remember this post from Gareth about his 3 years old sun playing iMyst?
A good example that children are more clever than we might think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

It took me a while to get through the Twisted Woods portal last night, and I agree with the posts above that Willow's instructions were easy to miss, and it was frustrating to not be able to hear them again or see them in the book. One of the other magi present hinted me through it, or I wouldn't have gotten in any time soon... my initial thought was that each of the four runes corresponded to one of the torches, and I hammered at it for a long time trying to figure out the order.

Having said that, I'm not all that keen on watching a replay of Willow's monologue, since that would kill some of the reality. I like to think of her as a real-life in-game character such as you'd encounter at a MagiQuest facility, and seeing an instant replay would only emphasize the fact that she's artificial. So at least, having the instructions in the book would really help, especially with younger audiences in mind, as mentioned above.

MQOwog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
So at least, having the instructions in the book would really help, especially with younger audiences in mind, as mentioned above.

The workaround is using the Hints button on the stone etc. So I heard her twice now, but it has to be in the book indeed!

Edit: Or, since Woodsy tells her story only once, she might be enabled to repeat it on additional clicks on her picture

Last edited by JanB on Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

I didn't realize that Twisted Forest portal will lock me in place and will not allow me to get back searching for more clues.

I would like to see an ability to get out of this screen that I can research for more clues.

Thanks to the post here on the forum that I was able to open the portal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ayli wrote
Quote:
I didn't realize that Twisted Forest portal will lock me in place and will not allow me to get back searching for more clues.

I thought the same thing Ayli but then after clicking around discovered that you can get out of the screen or that you are not locked in. For instance click the rune for Warrior (rightmost I believe) then click the torches on the Portal then click the center. I believe you will get free then.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, you get freed by clicking on the wrong thing.
It's a pity this opening of portals seems not possible in 1st person. For immersive play (and for manoeuvring easier :D ) I like to stay in 1st person.
And I agree with the most of the above, the instructions should be easier reaccessable and some hint as to what small circle to hit first etc give them some runelike code or maybe let them light up briefly in the right order. (transporters in one desert area of the original GuildWars do that, lol, there with just 4 lights to remember I seem to forget the order within microseconds, must be the heat :) )
It is frustrating to have to recast all the torches etc, because the order can only be found with trial and error.

But I am glad that opening the portals is preseneted as a puzzle, if only wanding it would do the trick that would be to easy.

Hm, but it could be an option to have an easy mode for youngsters who cannot yet follow such a long list of instructions, or read the notes back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

HannaGertie wrote:
It is frustrating to have to recast all the torches etc, because the order can only be found with trial and error.

Actually, the order for the lights is given in a diagram on one of the walls in one of the side chambers in the courtyard. It's getting to remember which rune, and then also that you have to do the keystone as well as the center.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

gimlet wrote:
Actually, the order for the lights is given in a diagram on one of the walls in one of the side chambers in the courtyard. ...

shows me for looking around a bit more :) I hadn't noticed that diagram.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next