It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:36 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:25 pm 

HannaGertie wrote:
gimlet wrote:
Actually, the order for the lights is given in a diagram on one of the walls in one of the side chambers in the courtyard. ...

shows me for looking around a bit more :) I hadn't noticed that diagram.

I did. But remembering which rune was which was more than a little tricky (and mostly solved by trial-and-error - the LONG way 'round). Finding the keystone to click on was also kinda tough, as it doesn't look immediately obvious that it's clickable (It's not textured any different from the stone around it). Perhaps if the words were on the portal at all times, but grayed out/embossed, rather than being "lit", it would help. That would also make it a lot easier to complete the first quest, finding the "Clan Courtyard" portal, as you would be able to see the impression of the name on the portal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:08 am 
Obduction Backer

I spent some time in MQO this afternoon with about seven other folks. We had a great time, and helped Nyrphame work the portal puzzle. Once she'd opened it and we all went to the Woods, a couple of us went back to the Courtyard to look for that mysterious clue. And sure enough, there it was in Trixter's chamber, plain as day. How in the world did I miss that before?! I like to think I'm pretty observant, so how that thing missed my attention is beyond me.

Ah well, now I know...

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:40 am 
Obduction Backer

I had misunderstood the directions from Willow and thought there was a poem on the walls somewhere in the courtyards that gave the order of the runes but I was wrong, it is as Mowog says above a clue to the order for the second rune in the sequence of opening the Forest Portal. Sorry don't want to spoil here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:02 am 

Willow says clearly enough which rune is the first and which is the last. Figuring out the order of the other two runes should not be that hard, but it was frustrating not to be able replay the video or read the transcrption.

But even MORE (<- :wink: ) frustrating is that once you've touched one of the runes at a Portal, you cannot change your mind and NOT go through the Portal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:27 am 
Obduction Backer

This is definitely coming together. Thanks, Mowog, for the nudge yesterday.

My biggest concern is that whilst only one person can activate a portal at a time, the rest of us don't see anything, and just stand around like lemons, waiting for the person at the portal to disappear (which could take a while).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:

frustrating is that once you've touched one of the runes at a Portal, you cannot change your mind and NOT go through the Portal

I have suggested in a ticket that you should be able to get out of the portal entry puzzle and should be able to retry, without having to use Alt F4.
Woodsy's video should replay when you click on her. The other 4 clan pictures give you some additional information when you click on them. Woodsy remains silent at the moment, if you have not solved the portal puzzle yet.
Hitting the hints button and replay the session(s) + Woodsy is of course a possiblity, but I see that as a workaround

Last edited by JanB on Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:23 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

It does seem to be an overly complicated procedure to activate the Twisted Woods portal for first use, but I'm also a bit bothered by the process of using portals on subsequent uses: You have to click on the portal, the relevant rune presents itself, you click on that, then click on the portal again. There's at least one step too many in that :? . Because only the correct rune is presented, I don't really see why I need to select it; I know the concept is that it's part of the process of selecting a rune to cast the correct spell, but I thought it may be better, and more realistic, to select the rune from the ones shown normally at the bottom of the screen then cast on the portal, skipping the initial click on the portal. It would need explanation, but even the current process needs some narrative somewhere. Select the wrong rune and portal won't open.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:04 pm 

This is just a thought With their only being 5 portals in the court yard ,down the road they may have to use one of the portals for a different ruin (portal) so may be that's why they use the ruin stone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:58 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Though not speaking to the gameplay issue, sut's supposition about a portal portal is correct.

As far as gameplay, now using the runes makes it pretty clear that they have a purpose and it's not just a scavenger hunt. They also bring things closer to what MQ is like in the physical world. But some things might not translate well if you, like Mac_Fife, feel your clicks are redundant. That's something to look at, and ticket. It might also help if you have a good gameplay suggestion as an alternative that fits well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:12 pm 

Mowog wrote:
I spent some time in MQO this afternoon with about seven other folks. We had a great time, and helped Nyrphame work the portal puzzle. Once she'd opened it and we all went to the Woods, a couple of us went back to the Courtyard to look for that mysterious clue. And sure enough, there it was in Trixter's chamber, plain as day. How in the world did I miss that before?! I like to think I'm pretty observant, so how that thing missed my attention is beyond me.

Ah well, now I know...

Mowog

You didn't miss it Mowog, it only appears when you click the Trixter painting after the stone quest. A point to remember for us all here I think. Activating something may well actvate another item somewhere else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

If I know which rune opens a portal, I should be able to click the rune and then cast on the portal. Actually, I don't think I should need to cast at all at this point but if that's the way it's done, I'll do so. It removes one redundant click. Of course the current way would need to remain in place for anyone who doesn't know which rune is needed for a specific portal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:46 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Ja'de wrote:
If I know which rune opens a portal, I should be able to click the rune and then cast on the portal.

We think alike on that point!

Ja'de wrote:
Of course the current way would need to remain in place for anyone who doesn't know which rune is needed for a specific portal.

I don't think that's necessary: For now at least, it's not too difficult to work out which rune goes with each portal, and you see each new one appear the first time you activate that portal. Besides, trial and error works too, and I think you'd quickly learn the first two or three before you get to the stage of having several to choose from.

At the moment, we can only see portal runes at the bottom of the screen. In time that may also include runes for other "action" spells, or it may become a context sensitive list, showing only the runes that may be used in your current situation. In any case the portal runes show the "portal outline" so they're easy to identify.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ja'de wrote:
If I know which rune opens a portal, I should be able to click the rune and then cast on the portal. Actually, I don't think I should need to cast at all at this point but if that's the way it's done, I'll do so. It removes one redundant click. Of course the current way would need to remain in place for anyone who doesn't know which rune is needed for a specific portal.

Actually IMO, for game play, it would make more sense for you click on the rune and then on the portal because the portal is a specific location, not a generic one where you can choose a location - you are already there - and this is after all a game for figuring out puzzles (albiet they are pretty simple at this point).

I am embarrassed to say I MISSED completely the pattern on the wall and figured it out by trial and error.
:oops:

"If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
Besides, trial and error works too, and I think you'd quickly learn the first two or three before you get to the stage of having several to choose from.

Agree with that.
It took me about 30 minutes to find out the right combination to open the portal.
At that time I did not notice the clue in one of the rooms.
Personal I do not find it a problem to resolve puzzles by trial and error.
Running through the game and complete it in 30 minutes, because there are to many clues, is a bit cheap imo.
Ppl will spend money for that game and I like to see they get some game value for that.
As I mentioned in an earlyer post I am confident that also the youngest can find these clues.
Rather I see a sort of "help" function like there is in the iMyst.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'd succeeded by trial and error before I knew about the green circle order clue on the wall.
The really useful nudge I got from Mowog was that there was a green circle order.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next