It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:37 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Concern: Voice Chat
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:37 pm 

My original thought was that voice chat would eventually be removed, it seams that this is not the case. I'm concerned about what people will stream using this function. Text chat we have a limited ability to censor, audio goes completely uncensored. We must think about the wide age range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:15 am 

I really really hope they do not remove the voice chat. My hands are crippled and its very hard to type for me. Having voice is a huge thing to handicapped people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:23 pm 

Hmmm good point, well in that case we at least need a way to regulate, perhaps we can have GM's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:55 pm 

I'm in favor of GMs myself if they are not already planned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:31 am 
Obduction Backer

Resident Engineers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:01 am 

I have a secret :wink:

I LOVE those guys and miss them a lot.

It struck me that there are a lot of handicapped kids too and this game would be something they can do. It is certainly worth thinking about since any time a game makes itself handicap friendly not only does it get more people to play but it encourages other game makes to be more aware of a potential market. The bean counters have to be pleased too. But it stands to reason that the handicapped people in Real Life have a lot of time on their hands and this game is interesting enough to bring them in providing it does not cost an arm and a leg to play. Many have already given those and can not afford to give any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:17 am 

I just want to put a bit of logic into this discussion. I don't see how shutting off voice chat stops anyone from doing or communicating anything inapropriate.

If you think about it, any form of communication no matter how much you try to limit it could be used to abuse or get across inapropriate ideas or words. Limiting communication will remove a way to deal with and resolve problems within the game.

For example, within writen communication, i can type many swear words without having to type them directly. I'll use words that are not swears to show you how.

P |_| ( |<

5 P 1 7

Most kids can figure out what I am trying to write there. Not to mention that someone could describe some terrible stuff without using one banned word, but being able to cause much more disruption and embarassment by describing lewd or mean things.

So yes I agree there should be monitors of some kind to witness missuse and deal with the issues right then and there, instead of trying to remove peoples ability to communicate freely.

Visit our new site!

SOUP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm also an advocate of voice chat, for a couple of reasons.

First, the whole point of games like MQO and Uru is to give us alternate worlds in which to play, and realism makes these worlds all the more immersive. All through my Uru experience, I always found it a bit silly to stand face-to-face with a friend and type messages at each other. The few times I used voice chat in Uru, we had a great time, and were amazed at how much it added to the experience - not to mention the fact that Cyan built in environmental effects such as reverb when we were chatting in a small room or tunnel. I thought that was really cool.

Secondly, as June point out, voice chat provides another way for disabled folks to take part. This was a hugely underrated aspect of Uru, and many of us remember Pepsi and what she brought to the game. I'd guess that most folks who are unable to type would at least be able to hold the Tab key and speak.

To be fair, I do see a downside... participants without microphones tend to get left out, and are left with typing their part in spoken conversations. But perhaps if the powers-that-be would make a big push for voice chat when MQO releases, touting it as a major gameplay enhancement, more players would do the voice thing. USB headphone/mic combos are very affordable these days, which doesn't hurt matters.

MQOwog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think it'd also be worth pointing out that since MQO works on a realm based system, rather than being a totally open world, players can easily choose who they want to play with.

Post subject: Re: Concern: Voice Chat
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:50 pm 

sinkillerj wrote:
My original thought was that voice chat would eventually be removed, it seams that this is not the case. I'm concerned about what people will stream using this function. Text chat we have a limited ability to censor, audio goes completely uncensored. We must think about the wide age range.

Hmm, how does that work in the live places? Can chat be censored there? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Further thoughts -

If MQO is hoping to attract a younger following, than perhaps voice chat is more pertinent than we think. Younger kids might be put off by the need to communicate by typing, while speech seems to come very naturally to most kids. :lol:

I mention this because I work in the school system, and games requiring keyboarding skills aren't very popular with the younger students.

(I remember when our son was very small, and we were waiting for him to start talking. Once he did, we found ourselves waiting for him to STOP talking. Now he's 23, and we're still waiting.)

MQOwog

Post subject: Re: Concern: Voice Chat
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:34 am 

halvor wrote:
sinkillerj wrote:

Hmm, how does that work in the live places? Can chat be censored there? :P

I'll tell ya how I do it. If some little punk kid starts talking crap I just drop kick them straight in the throat.

Lol just kidding. Good point though. However, I think that kids and sometimes even adults are more likely to swear and say other inappropriate things online than in real life. Its harder for parents to stop kids from swearing online than in real life. I'm sure some of you have experienced the 12 year old who probably doesn't swear at all around his friends or family in real life but will cuss you out every 5 minutes on Xbox live lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:02 pm 

It raises a wonder about all the sound effects that will dimenish with voice chat. personally, I could do without voice but forunately not making that call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm very torn about voice chat. On one hand, it's good for people with physical issues that limit typing and reading, and it make communication smoother.
On the other hand, it leaves anyone who can't hear (via handicap or some inability to use mic and speakers) completely out of the loop. I've seen it be a big issue in multiple games, that the people who aren't using voice quickly feel isolated and neglected.

Maybe a solution is to enable voice by realm? And set it so that parents can limit if their kids can go in a voice enabled area or not?

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:44 am 

I have a speech to text program that is one of the best, if not the best ones out there. My experience with it in URU, SL and There.com is that the games are resource hogs and they win over my program working well. I works great in forums, documents and e-mails.

I can type a little, enough to let someone that is deaf that I am not being rude but have hands that refuse to work long. My experience has also been that others start typing to someone who lets us know they are deaf to make sure they are not left out. More and More people are showing they are willing to help disabled people now. Especially in community and when kids are in the games. Well if the kids are respectful.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]