It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:19 am

All times are UTC




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 2:22 am
Posts: 449
Location: UK
Am I alone in my thoughts when I say that Magiquest is going to be a big turn-off for a lot of ardent puzzle-loving fans? I’m well aware that Magiquest is for all ages – but from what I’ve seen from the beta – it hardly pits the wits, taxes the brain, or simply gives you a reason to lose sleep over in its initial posers.

Doesn’t it just annoy you when – even for simple puzzles – you don’t get to choose from the array of runes that you have been bestowed with? Bingo! The correct rune presents itself for you to click to open the portal, door, gate, wall message etc. Don’t I even get to choose? Or am I missing something?

What on earth do I do now? Ah! – The text prompt at the top of the screen – come on…

Don’t get me wrong – I love the bug-hunting – that in itself is a pleasure, which I am well aware, will ultimately end when this show hits the road – so to speak. From this first taste of the game one does get the impression that the adventure is earmarked mainly for a very young audience. A bit like Uru but with much simpler puzzles - if at all (at the moment it appears almost like a walk-thru).

It’s like giving someone a puzzle which you know they are going to solve.

I look around at adventure games that enthuse young children today (10+ year olds), and am surprised that they are intrigued by what adults play – on the surface one may think they would never have a chance to solve some of the mysteries – this may be partly true – never the less (and surprisingly) this is what intrigues them most.

Is the game play targeting age, misguided and out of date?

_________________
oh wad some power the giftie gie us - tae see ourselve's as ither's see us


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:38 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 5:21 pm
Posts: 2626
Location: Garland, TX - New 09/2014 KI # 60406 Moula
Tokai wrote:
Am I alone in my thoughts when I say that Magiquest is going to be a big turn-off for a lot of ardent puzzle-loving fans? I’m well aware that Magiquest is for all ages – but from what I’ve seen from the beta – it hardly pits the wits, taxes the brain, or simply gives you a reason to lose sleep over in its initial posers.

Doesn’t it just annoy you when – even for simple puzzles – you don’t get to choose from the array of runes that you have been bestowed with? Bingo! The correct rune presents itself for you to click to open the portal, door, gate, wall message etc. Don’t I even get to choose? Or am I missing something?

What on earth do I do now? Ah! – The text prompt at the top of the screen – come on…

Don’t get me wrong – I love the bug-hunting – that in itself is a pleasure, which I am well aware, will ultimately end when this show hits the road – so to speak. From this first taste of the game one does get the impression that the adventure is earmarked mainly for a very young audience. A bit like Uru but with much simpler puzzles - if at all (at the moment it appears almost like a walk-thru).

It’s like giving someone a puzzle which you know they are going to solve.

I look around at adventure games that enthuse young children today (10+ year olds), and am surprised that they are intrigued by what adults play – on the surface one may think they would never have a chance to solve some of the mysteries – this may be partly true – never the less (and surprisingly) this is what intrigues them most.

Is the game play targeting age, misguided and out of date?


I agree Tokai, and actually did submit a feature request ticket to make the quests more challenging. And suggested the choice of runes, more like the twisted woods entry, and a few other things. . . . I have seen preteens and teens play games that are pretty complicated and they do well with them. A younger child who is NOT an avid gamer will need to learn the ropes, I'm sure, but IMO most kids who would be likely to play a game online, are far more advanced than this game gives them credit for. . .

The reply, however, made sense, that the ease in this first chapter, was by design, and was meant to be a part of learning curve, they need to keep it doable for the younger set . . . it does get a bit more difficult in the forest, and in later chapters will progress with the skills of the players.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:45 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:56 pm
Posts: 249
Location: NYC
Hi

I also agree and even in the Woods it's straight forward if you can read the writing on the wall (no pun intended).I used fraps to take a pic of writing on the wall and it tells you the order to click the Runes.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:50 am 
Offline
Former MystOnline Moderator

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:05 pm
Posts: 4208
Location: 56°2'26", -3°20'28"
I'm inclined to agree that the hand-holding might be going too far. The "training" aspect is almost built-in to the serial nature of the game. For example, the use of Portals: You start by having only the Portal Well rune and being talked through opening the portal to the Clan Courtyard. Going back to the Portal Well wouldn't take a genius to figure out if they were trying to use the wrong rune, even if they didn't latch on to what was happening when they were given the Courtyard rune.
Getting the Twisted Woods portal open wasn't all that easy, so once you've got that far you should have pretty much cracked how the game hangs together, and at that point I'd prefer to have seen the level of "assistance" drop right off.

But I suppose we really need to calibrate our opinions, as beta testers, against the perceptions of the true target audience. Obviously, the game couldn't be play tested by any of the younger age groups until was in a reasonably stable and representative condition (our job as beta testers), which I'd be inclined to say it is pretty close to now. I expect CK/Cyan will have this somewhere in their overall plan.

_________________
Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:20 am
Posts: 926
Location: Lone Star State, URU Texas
Hey, I am glad Cyan got a payng job and we recieved testing work regardless of what kind of On Line game it is going to be. I agree with most that it is starting out easy but am sure it will get harder as expierence is gained. I am not going to try and guess what is Cyan's business, just glad I am to be a part of it of their confidence in us to help get this game off to a good start, even thou the developers seem to have most of the bugs worked out before the build is released. Hurrah to all of Cyan's team.

_________________
URU Dan
KI # 02132531
New KI 00347774


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:21 pm
Posts: 229
Location: Tower of Druaga
Well how about this, a option to turn on a advanced mode for older players that shows you all your runes instead of what you can use as well as makes some things harder. This would be the online equivalent of a heroic quest.

_________________
MOUL GoG Ki: 07164934
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:18 pm 
Offline
Creative Kingdoms

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 8:06 pm
Posts: 6235
Location: Everywhere, all at once
sinkillerj wrote:
Well how about this, a option to turn on a advanced mode for older players that shows you all your runes instead of what you can use as well as makes some things harder. This would be the online equivalent of a heroic quest.

I'm sure many Myst players will be thrilled to learn that some Heroic Quests and Adventures have to be done within a specific time limit and we make you remember things and run like crazy. :twisted:

I like the gameplay points this thread is making. You will indeed need to wait for the grand scheme of things before judging whether getting this one interworld (real/virtual world) quest rune was too easy and represents a majority of the game, or is just a start of something bigger. The onsite (physical) game currently consists of over 60 quests and adventures, not counting DinoQuest.

_________________
OpenUru.org: An Uru Project Resource Site : Twitter : Make a commitment.
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 11:27 pm
Posts: 963
MagiQuest Online is... ...MagiQuest Online.

...I dunno how I can put this lightly, but it's an online version of a sorta... Chuck E. Cheese magic wand thing.

Not that there's anything wrong with that at all.

What I'm saying, is that this isn't Uru. It isn't supposed to be anything like Myst. It has nothing at all to do with Myst in any way whatsoever. Not that anyone said it was, but, you'd haveta be some kinda idiot not to read between the lines here.

It's a digital recreation of these MagiQuest places. My guess is that it's very much like playing MagiQuest at a MagiQuest location. I doubt it's in any way supposed to be mentally taxing. It's just light-hearted fun.

I mean, you're asking MagiQuest to be something it isn't. It's a thing where you point a remote-control wand gadget at stuff and make a light turn on or a video play. This online version is just recreating that experience.


~Joey Questmaster

_________________
"What you still don't understand you have failed to hear or don't need to know..."~Yeesha


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:17 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 11:04 pm
Posts: 558
Location: Atlantis
first changing the rune's for the Twisted Woods portal would not be easy to do they have to change the video and some of the other quest would have to have video changes also.

i know this is not a myst game but i think about riven and how some of the puzzles changed when you started a new game like the code to open the domes and the code you used at the end of the game even the cleft puzzle you get from the bharo cave in uru change every time you create a new player.

now i do not think it would be to hard add something like that to MagiQest Online to change the order of the 2nd rune you use on the Twisted Woods portal, the fire orbs, and the 8 stones to something random as i think the answer to the puzzle's will get posted on the internet

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:21 pm
Posts: 229
Location: Tower of Druaga
JWPlatt wrote:
DinoQuest.

How dare you speak the evil ones name lol.

_________________
MOUL GoG Ki: 07164934
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 2:22 am
Posts: 449
Location: UK
Joey Zoonishii wrote:
MagiQuest Online is... ...MagiQuest Online.

...I dunno how I can put this lightly, but it's an online version of a sorta... Chuck E. Cheese magic wand thing.

Not that there's anything wrong with that at all.

What I'm saying, is that this isn't Uru. It isn't supposed to be anything like Myst. It has nothing at all to do with Myst in any way whatsoever. Not that anyone said it was, but, you'd haveta be some kinda idiot not to read between the lines here.

It's a digital recreation of these MagiQuest places. My guess is that it's very much like playing MagiQuest at a MagiQuest location. I doubt it's in any way supposed to be mentally taxing. It's just light-hearted fun.

I mean, you're asking MagiQuest to be something it isn't. It's a thing where you point a remote-control wand gadget at stuff and make a light turn on or a video play. This online version is just recreating that experience.


~Joey Questmaster


Hey Joey!

The big question that nobody has really touched on - is it a money spinner? i.e. - will it draw the crowds - is it worth it financially to Cyan?

We can applaud the game and graphics 'til the cows come home, but are people prepared to pay their hard earned cash to run around casting spells at pixies?

At the moment I see it a great game for kids - at a price. Don't forget the competition out there with other online games - some of them you can play for free.

Multi-player - if it evolves - can only be a simple chat-room with friends - again that sort of thing can be had for free.

And... I'm not comparing MagiQuest to Uru - I'm simply waiting on something tangible that will attract fee paying people.

Love this thread!

_________________
oh wad some power the giftie gie us - tae see ourselve's as ither's see us


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:07 am
Posts: 1591
Location: Virginia, USA
I don't mind the adolescent ease of the game. I think very young kids and their helpful parents might have fun. It's not a stretch to say it's an adult-like adventure game built for kids.

What is missing, IMO, is what kids go to the live venues for...to scream with other kids. They react off each other, encouraged by the shrieks around them, the noises and laughter, costumes and stuff they can touch and feel and become part of. Kids will stand in a circle with NO game and jump up and down and scream and laugh forever. So I think the chat feature or other communications will emerge to be a huge part of the success. Create or encourage a Facebook page, Twitter group, and maybe a wall to sign or post a pic on the main website.

MQO has URU's loneliness about it. It's so huge and high that the characters get dwarfed and lost, even with a dozen in the room. I find the Twisted Woods bleak and beautiful and sad, not enchanting and alive like Delin and other Ages. It could be spooky very easily, but I'm not sure that's a good idea at that stage.

Adding roaming characters, a hunchback, minstrel, witch and animals--unicorns and lions. Even fireflies! A population of sights, sounds, interactions, and even obstacles would add another level of fun--. My guess is that this is in the works.

I think it would be cool if the wands could be customized in the dressing room -- colors and gems chosen, or maybe a plain wooden model. Will the kids be able to choose kids clothing? You know, jester shoes, flowing gowns, white beards, flowing hair, maybe wings or horns?

The recent additions were a great improvement. For me, the flags added a lot of atmosphere and differentiated each place. The added color and tweaked sounds were also fine.

_________________
Exercise your vision.
3036026


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:27 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 2:02 pm
Posts: 133
Location: Australia
Romer Openfield wrote:
The recent additions were a great improvement. For me, the flags added a lot of atmosphere and differentiated each place. The added color and tweaked sounds were also fine.


Coming into the beta just recently, these banners were very helpful to know what area you were in for the first time, and it definately made the area feel much like a guilds recruitment area... almost straight away I was torn between wanting to be affiliated with the Trixter clan and the Shadow clan... lucky they didn't make me choose a clan right there and then... I think I would have been stuck... and yes I'm 23, so what ;)

I see this game to have alot of potential! Never having set foot in a MagiQuest location before the gameplay still entrigued me. I can see that this small "Tutorial" game shows everything it needs to to get people interested and shows just some of what Cyan can do. There is both Single player action and group play that allows those that just want to go it alone to do so, also gives parents the safe option of not letting their kids onto the shards. It shows how you can have purely online action and can collect Runes and gold and XP, and at the moment hints at how that would then transfer back to the physical relms. And I could almost imagine things working the other way... maybe in the Physical Relm you might be able to wave your wand at a pair of goggles on a table and that appears in your online wardrobe next time you log in.

Now if only there was a MagiQuest in Australia...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:01 am 
Offline
Creative Kingdoms

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 8:06 pm
Posts: 6235
Location: Everywhere, all at once
MagooChris wrote:
maybe in the Physical Relm you might be able to wave your wand at a pair of goggles on a table and that appears in your online wardrobe next time you log in.

Excellent!

There are plans and the capability designed to handle "vanity" items - wands first, then maybe clothing.

_________________
OpenUru.org: An Uru Project Resource Site : Twitter : Make a commitment.
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:30 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 5:28 am
Posts: 2266
Another way to look at it - if some Myst series games fans aren't crazy about the game, or don't like it - then Cyan is doing their job. So, that's a good thing!

I know that seems weird - but my understanding is that this is not a game in the Myst series, also that it's directed to the younger crowd. On the puzzles - puzzles in RPG games don't tend to be that hard, and this is an RPG game directed to a young crowd.

Romer Openfield's comment was really interesting. What's different and what's the same about the theme park game and the online game? If the online game is too "lonely" - maybe that's a problem. A "lonely" game is the hallmark of a Myst series game, not MagiQuest.

It's going to be so great when this comes out, so we can see how it all plays out.

_________________
mszv, amarez in Uru, other online games, never use mszv anymore, would like to change it
Blog - http://www.amarez.com, Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/amareze


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron