It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Continuing on a related tangent, the Uru avatars that we inherited are all adult in appearance. Are there plans to provide younger avvies, and perhaps even fantasy avvies such as fairies, elves, dwarves, etc.?

In Uru we couldn't really change our avvies' height because of the interaction animations. But in MQO, where our main interaction so far is casting with our wands, maybe that limitation no longer applies. I hope not! I'd love to see a wide variety of avvies running around the realms, and I know kids love to play-act as fantasy characters.

Edit - and wouldn't it be cool to have avvies of Willow and Lokari that could be controlled by folks at Creative Kingdoms and interact with lowly Magi - much like the DRC characters in Uru?

MQOwog

Last edited by Mowog on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:03 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

mszv wrote:
Another way to look at it - if some Myst series games fans aren't crazy about the game, or don't like it - then Cyan is doing their job. So, that's a good thing!

That's a great observation. If MQO were like Myst, it could take days to get in and solve things. MQ wants people to be able to walk through "the door," just like at a physical site, and be able to play and have fun immediately - at any age, young or old. From there, things can progress from easy to hard by the player's choice. MQ has been around for more than four years and has over 60 quests. Let's see where MQO is four years from now.

Much earlier this year, I took one of the CK owners through Uru as a demo of what the game engine can do and what gameplay is like. While there, he ad libbed an MQ-like quest in Eder Kemo using objects he saw there. It was pretty cool to watch him do that - use an age from Uru in a new, very MQ-like way. The real point, however, is that he had never played Uru (though he started catching up with the Myst games after that). And because of that, I had to prepare the game for the demo with him by solving everything through Eder Kemo so we could get there quickly on a tight schedule.

He still had to learn how to get around. It was instantly clear the Myst style of gameplay - the style that is second nature to Cyan designers - took infinitely longer than the kind of gameplay immediately available at MQ when you walk through the doors. For someone who wants to play for a half-hour or an hour and do fun stuff, it would be a dealbreaker. But it is something MQO can grow into for those who like to play longer with highly challenging quests once MQO is established.

And yes, Cyan is doing fabulous work.

(Mowog, that's all been discussed. We'll see. ;) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
(Mowog, that's all been discussed. We'll see. :wink: )

Ha... somehow I suspected as much! Great to hear.

As for the rest, What's to prevent a situation like we saw in MOUL, where there were crowds during episodes, but hardly anybody otherwise? I know that we'll most likely see larger numbers in MQO, and that may provide more activity between new quests, but I'm still curious to see what's in the cards.

Similarly, will we see subsequent quests in, for example, the Twisted Forest? What we saw in Uru were fabulous worlds that served for one quest, and became old news after that. I think that it would be great if any new realms could be used for new adventures as time goes by. If nothing else, it would certainly be more cost-effective.

MQOwog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:48 am 

Very productive and creative thread! Who knew criticism and opinions could be fun!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:22 pm 

I read all these comments appraising the game with high recommendations for our kids. There we go again – we know what’s good for them – we’ll tell them what they’ll like. Is it really a case of – we like it so our kids must like it?

When the testing is over and you sit the kids on the PC to play it – it is then, and only then you will be able to tell whether they are going to like it or not. IMHO – if it remains a simple infantile fantasy - they will soon become bored, and want to try their hand at something a bit more adult orientated (‘adult’ in the sense of a more complex adventure game). Believe me – as a family man - I know.

At the moment with the limited content in the beta - an 8 – 10 year old might be intrigued - but for how long? Designing a game for youngsters to play is a great idea – but getting Mommy & Daddy to pay for it is another. Okay – I hear what you say… Mommy & Daddy can play as well – it’s for all ages!

Hmm… let’s wait and see what evolves from the game makers.

My take on it – is that it will be a child’s game – well designed – but boring (not good commercially). And it won’t be every parent in the land that’ll dip in their pockets to sate a whim from their beloved offspring. I know – it sounds terrible – cie la vie – welcome to the real world. Intrigue and involve Mommy & Daddy and we might just have something. Such is - what appears to be the unwritten law of the land.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:07 am 

Tokai wrote:
Hey Joey!

The big question that nobody has really touched on - is it a money spinner? i.e. - will it draw the crowds - is it worth it financially to Cyan?

We can applaud the game and graphics 'til the cows come home, but are people prepared to pay their hard earned cash to run around casting spells at pixies?

At the moment I see it a great game for kids - at a price. Don't forget the competition out there with other online games - some of them you can play for free.

Multi-player - if it evolves - can only be a simple chat-room with friends - again that sort of thing can be had for free.

And... I'm not comparing MagiQuest to Uru - I'm simply waiting on something tangible that will attract fee paying people.

Love this thread!

To be honest, Tokai, I haven't the slightest idea what the scope or vision of the online version of MagiQuest even is. I'm sure there's some sensible risk management going on here amongst Cyan and MagiQuest...

Heck, I don't even know if this is going to have a charge associated with it.

MagiQuest is probably far more geared towards the physical locations. The online version is probably intended to be more of an accessory, or way to fill time between visits to the physical locations for families who are fans of the thing.

It could also just be more of a promotional tool to generate more awareness for and interest in MagiQuest. Who knows? Maybe it's just to let families know MagiQuest exists, and maybe they'll say "Hey, a road trip to this place would be a great way to kill some time..."

MagiQuest Online could be a lot of things, and I'm sure there are a lot of ways to expand it and add new features, etc.

...I just don't see any evidence that it isn't what it's more or less intended to be. A recreation of the physical locations in an online environment. It seems fine as it is, and I'm not sure if it needs to be made more complex or challenging.

~Joey "ROAAAAAD TRIIIP!" Fallsczwakalski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

My guess is that it's designed as, mostly, a complement to the theme park game, but hey - just a guess! On the magiquest site you can see the tie-in to the theme park game - "Download Chapter One now at $9.99 for unlimited play and to earn special powers that you can use both online and in the real world at any MQ location. " - http://www.magiquest.com/mqonline/

The entire MagiQuest site is very focused on the stuff you do in the real world - what I call the "theme park" game. We'll see if there is more emphasis on the online game after it comes out.

I looked at pricing on the site - and it's looks like there is a one time episode charge for each episode.

On competitors in the online space - guessing here, possibly Sony's Free Realms, which you can play for free, can also pay a monthly free and/or buy stuff. Free Realms is a very good game. Also, for serious MMO gaming families - I think the competition would be WoW - World of Warcraft. From what I've read, lots of families play WoW together.

What none of the other online games have is the tie-in to the theme park game. That makes it unique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:31 am 

What I've seen so far is worth $9.99. Especially for some kind of MagiQuest enthusiast.

~Joey Thusuleh

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2