It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:13 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Place in Time
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:48 am 

I apologize if this is already somewhere....

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so I have just completed the quest to defeat Golem this past week.

My question. In multiplayer game, if I am in the Twisted Woods with someone who has completed the switch and owl puzzles, and has the ability to cross the bridges --- and I have not yet completed that part --- what do I see if the other player standing next to me runs over the bridge he/she has access to and I don't.
Can I run with him/her together over the bridge? (I think not, but this is my question.)

In URU, I can't recall a situation where the environment was different for two players in the same realm. I thought we would see the same thing regardless of what parts of the game we have completed. We could mutually benefit from a click on a cloth, but what we saw (I thought) was always the same.

Remarks?

--jimmyjack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:09 am 
Obduction Backer

You shouldn't see a bridge. I don't know if you can run behind someone who is crossing, but I doubt it.

There is one major difference between MOUL and MQO. There the environment has priority, here the avatar does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:35 pm 

If you go to the FTP sight and look in my file under screen shots sut1 look at the first one " dexter " and the last one " two drinking from the water " you will see what it looks like (or what it can look like ) now they moved around to get where they are but it wasn't hard for them, also I had ticketed it but I don't know if they fixed it or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Somebody reported a short time back that if a player crosses a bridge before you've enabled them for yourself, you see that person run through the water and come up on the other side. I can't comment on it myself, as I haven't seen this personally. But that's what I read.

Cheers,

MQOwog

Last edited by Mowog on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

I was late to the game as far as getting the bridge added, and I saw avatars running over the invisible bridge and was unable to follow them. Once I finally found Riccum (thanks CrisGer and Ural), I was able to do the fire globe puzzle and move on from there. I don't recall seeing them in the water, as it appeared they were going over the bridge with its curved shape.

"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:49 pm 

I guess I do understand the difference. In URU you needed to join someone's instance of the game....thus everyone who joined my game saw what I saw and only that part which was completed.

Here, it's joining a domain that belongs to no one in particular, but the problem, as I see it, is that some players will see odd behavior from others like running over bridges or through hidden openings that I can't see. I see it as an issue.

--jimmyjack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mowog wrote:
Somebody reported a short time back that if a player crosses a bridge before you've enabled them for yourself, you see that person run through the water and come up on the other side. I can't comment on it myself, as I haven't seen this personally. But that's what I read.

Cheers,

MQOwog

yes, I have seen this. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

There are certainly multiplayer "oddities" with states being defined at avatar level rather than environment level.
I don't see a way round it though - a bridge either exists or doesn't exist for that avatar, and the state is not going to be the same for everyone at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

A nice sollution to that bridge problem would be a Troll bridge guard. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I don't think we need a realistic explanation for this since we're dealing with magic here. The bridges are always there, but a spell has been cast to hide them from anyone except the magi who have proved themselves worthy of crossing them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Compared to instancing in Uru it makes perfect sense! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

That's a good explanation you give Tai'lahr :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:35 am 

I need to get out of the URU mentality ('Your Relto or mine?").

Tai'lahr's explanation makes sense. We are all supposed to be Magi, and we gather different skills and powers as we go along. I am still curious what happens to two of us who stand in front of the Twisty Woods portal -- one with the Rune to open it, the other not. Does the 'not' see the portal door open? If so, can he/she ride the power of the 'have' and sneak through to the woods? I'm sure there will be some interesting scenarios as the development progresses.

--jimmyjack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:19 am 
Obduction Backer

jimmyjack wrote:
I am still curious what happens to two of us who stand in front of the Twisty Woods portal -- one with the Rune to open it, the other not. Does the 'not' see the portal door open? If so, can he/she ride the power of the 'have' and sneak through to the woods?--jimmyjack

I've tested this before in an earlier build and can report that at the portal each avatar sees the animation appropriate to their activity. You don't see the other avatar after you wand the portal. You can't enter as a group.
If you stand back to watch both of them you see the avatar that has the rune wand the portal and disappear... the avatar that's completing the quest just stands there motionless until they succeed and vanish or give up and resume moving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:17 am 
Obduction Backer

HenryMikel wrote:
jimmyjack wrote:
I am still curious what happens to two of us who stand in front of the Twisty Woods portal -- one with the Rune to open it, the other not. Does the 'not' see the portal door open? If so, can he/she ride the power of the 'have' and sneak through to the woods?--jimmyjack

I've tested this before in an earlier build and can report that at the portal each avatar sees the animation appropriate to their activity. You don't see the other avatar after you wand the portal. You can't enter as a group.
If you stand back to watch both of them you see the avatar that has the rune wand the portal and disappear... the avatar that's completing the quest just stands there motionless until they succeed and vanish or give up and resume moving.

jimmyjack, I noticed that while both Katva and I were both at the battle with the Golem Kalo, I mean we were both side by side at the end of the path and both individually in battle. What I noticed was, as I moused around and moved my cursor in certain spots I would see Katva's name as if I had moused over her avvie. At the time I though it quite funny and hoped she was safe from the nasty Kalo!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]