It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:12 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Unreadable
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm having the worst time with the book. I'm not sure I understand why, but I think its called the BOW?

The various fonts are just lovely but as they appear so tiny on my screen with insufficient contrast, I can't make them out at all. I've tried playing the game full screen, changing my contrast and so forth and still the lettering is too small for me - decorative fonts are lovely on wedding invitations, but when you want to share information, what's so wrong with plain and simple? Or is it intentionally difficult to read? Are they meant to convey some kind of medieval flavor? I wear reading glasses and I still have to use my old Sherlock Holmes magnifier to suss things out.

If people are frustrated by not being able to read something in the game, how likely are they to keep playing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:55 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

I enjoy plain and simple. I'm also a firm believer in good contrast. We are seemingly alone these days where many graphic designers feel contrast in print integration needs to be low and hard to read to be cool (see some old Wired Magazine layouts). I digress - that's my personal lament in sympathy with yours. ;)

That said, there are several styles present in the Book of Wisdom (BOW is the acronym for that). It would be helpful to know which ones are okay for you and which ones are not okay, and where.

I've always described the thematic philosophy of MagiQuest to people as medieval with a renfaire (Renaissance faire) kind of atmosphere with steam punk technology that looks new but built in those old days. So yes, the calligraphy and font styles are important to carry that along.

FYI - the transcribed text that goes with the videos is rendered in the engine and easier to change than other pages which do not appear with the videos. They are prerendered artwork and a bigger deal to change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

I can feel with morwyn.
Besides myself, I know there are many more ppl with this problem.
I can think of eye disabled persons, older people and those who have problems with strong contrasts like epileptic and those with migraine.

As JW already mention: it seems to be "cool" to use these kind of contrasts.
And because we do not want to spoil the fun for others, we remain silent.

But it is never to late to ring the bell and see what is possible to make it that comfortable for everyone.
A company that is accessible for these problems is a good one.

Possible solutions are:
- Create a build in magnifier for those who cannot read the text because it is to small.
- A choice in styles and colors, so ppl can see what fit the best to them.

I am sure there are more ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:28 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I can cope OK with most of the text in the BoW. The one page that I did find too much of a strain was the introduction page, facing the contents. The font is smaller than anywhere else and the lettering is so ill defined that I simply gave up on trying to read it. It looks like one of the pre-rendered pages that JWPlatt comments would be harder to change, but in my opinion it's the page that most desperately needs changing.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:35 pm 

I am fine with the rest of the text in the BOW but I agree with Mac_Fife. I have very good resolution on this computer but there is a marked difference in contrast with the page and the different type from the other pages and that makes it a bit harder to read as well. It should be as dark in contrast as the other pages and same style of type. Maybe use two pages for the introduction so that larger type could be used. The way it is now, I would tend to glide over the lighter writing because my eyes drift to the darker, larger type automatically....also make it so you have to turn the page to get to the list of quests. Submitting a ticket on this.

SL:
DMom2K Darwin

Currently residing in Guild Wars2 with DudeDad and trying to play Watch Dogs
Citizen of the Metaverse and oh, yeah, The Dude abides....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:40 pm 

I AM older :o and the only page difficult to read is the intro. That page needs bigger type and more contrast. The rest are good.

Not sure why you are having diffiulty. Perhaps a difference in the screen res or contrast or...??? I am playing on a lap top here and all is still well in the BoW.

Kate (wearing her computer glasses.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:22 am 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
I<snippage>

That said, there are several styles present in the Book of Wisdom (BOW is the acronym for that). It would be helpful to know which ones are okay for you and which ones are not okay, and where.

With the exception of the chapter titles, (larger font, dark red on parchment banners) the rest of it is unreadable for me - most especially the font used for the poetic clues and on the video pages' accompanying text. I can't read the introductory page at all.

BTW, I'm REALLY old. Probably too old to be doing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:15 am 

You are never too old for adventure games!!!! The shooters now, just don't go up against a youngster.

Remember, we make up in experience what we lack in dexterity. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:18 am 

morwyn you are NEVER too old to play games!

Another possible solution would be a clicky for the bits that don't have the video replay so that you could play the audio over again if you had difficulty reading the text for some reason.

SL:
DMom2K Darwin

Currently residing in Guild Wars2 with DudeDad and trying to play Watch Dogs
Citizen of the Metaverse and oh, yeah, The Dude abides....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:16 pm 

I work with text editing, fonts and graphics daily and this is what I have to say: make the intro text shorter so you can increase the font size or use more than just one page for it if you feel it cannot be shortened. Readability is always the priority over graphics (which btw are fantastifc in the BOW!!).

The quests page poems are a bit hard to read for 2 reasons: the font used for thet text has no real upper and lower case which makes long sentences hard to read and the lines are too long for the font size.

For the same reasons, while I like all the fonts used in in the BOW I would definitely recommend a different font for the video transcriptions, something that has disticnt upper and lower cases. A LONG TEXT SET ALL IN CAPITAL LETTERS IS FAR MORE DIFFICULT TO READ THAN THE SAME TEXT SET IN UPPER AND LOWER CASES. (<- not yelling, just trying to demonstrate my point :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

MagiQuest is not an adventure game, just saying (smile). It's amazing to me how very much Myst series games fans want this to be a game in the series.

While it doesn't seem to me that we are, in general, the target demographic for MagiQuest (and I have no problem with that, whatsoever!) -- making sure the text is readable seems like a good thing to me. Young eyes are generally better than old eyes, but for children who aren't good readers, making the text extra readable might help.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]