It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:29 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:58 pm 

delano wrote:
I had this problem with one of my avies before the vault wipe. I would suggest, as hard as it sounds, wipe this avie, write a ticket and start over. It is, after all ,beta.

Oh, I did that several times already. No luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:59 pm 

Well, I guess I need to accept the fact that I will NEVER be allowed to play Eder Gira/Kemo. I've tried every conceivalbe thing to get to this age, and all that ever happens is my computer freezes up and I have to turn it off and back on. I can't even get back to the desktop. For the life of me I can NOT figure out what it is that is being downloaded when I clcik the linking book for this age that makes my computer lock up. I've deleted the entire game and re-downloaded...nothing.
I've gone into the hard drive and deleted all the Gira sfx and dat files and linked...nothing. I've tried to link from the Nexus...nothing. I've tried to link from someone else's Relto....nothing. The pattern in always the same:
Click on link, screen goes black, upload bar comes up, screen goes black, I briefly hear the linking sound buzz, and a few seconds later something like water, then....nothing. Hard drive light has no indication of activity, I can't C-A-D back to desktop, can't bring up anything. All I can do is shut off and back on. I've waited over an hour with no result.

I defragged, did disk cleanup and all that, too. Nothing.

This is really frustating...I can NOT complete the game!! :( :( :( :( :(

If anyone has a suggestion that is different from what I've already done, I'm all ears!!! Also, I really would like to know if ANYONE else has the same problem, or is it that I alone am not able to get to Eder Gira?

Kiril

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

It looks like just you... when you hear the water, does ctrl alt del work and can you see what processes are running in task manager?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:29 pm 

Rusty_Russell wrote:
It looks like just you... when you hear the water, does ctrl alt del work and can you see what processes are running in task manager?

Now, that I haven't tried. Is there anything in particular I ought to be looking for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:35 pm 

Further, if ctrl-alt-del doesn't work, does ctrl-shift-esc?

Look out for UruExplorer.exe to see if it's running. Also see how much RAM it's using.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

For now, anything and everything by %. What's using most of your resources?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:30 pm 

chucker wrote:
Further, if ctrl-alt-del doesn't work, does ctrl-shift-esc?

Look out for UruExplorer.exe to see if it's running. Also see how much RAM it's using.

I have not tried ctrl-alt-esc. I'll try that and see.

thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:39 pm 

[quote="Rusty_Russell"]For now, anything and everything by %. What's using most of your resources?[/quote

Well, I tried to CTL-Alt-Del during the Gira link process, but to no avail, so I can't tell you what is and isn't running during that time. I do see a number of processes running. I tried to end a few of them before attempting another link, but that didn't make any difference. Problem is I don't know which processes I need to keep going and which I can turn off without affecting other operations. It isn't always clear just be the process name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:42 pm 

I checked running processes before trying the link and stopped a couple of things that I thought I could safely stop. That didn't make any difference either. I tried to Ctl-Alt-Esc, but wasn't able to return to the desktop. Computer completely freezes and only turning off and back on will work.

This is really strange. How is that I can link to all other locations in URU but not Eder Gira/Kemo? What does this age have in its files that the others do not that is causing the problem? I'm at a complete loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Bring up your task manager and set it on porcesses. sort by CPU usage
With it running, start your Uru and link to Kemo or Gira.
Watch the processes that are running at the top.
System Idle Process is the part of the CPU that is not being used.
What else has a CPU percentage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:08 am 

greypiffle wrote:

How can I be in the game and have the task manager visible at the same time to see what's going on with the cpu? I don't see any way to make the game window smaller?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:08 am 

Kiril wrote:
greypiffle wrote:

How can I be in the game and have the task manager visible at the same time to see what's going on with the cpu? I don't see any way to make the game window smaller?

Set it to windowed mode, then turn the game resolution low.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:46 pm 

chucker wrote:
Okay, I did this. I noticed that the Mystlive was using the most memory (about 112K). When I touched the link to Gira, it dropped to about 66k, then rose back to 112k. But, the outcome was the same...I heard the link buzz, then the computer locks up. I had to turn off and back on...AGAIN!!

The issue has to be either: 1. there is some file or files that these ages require that the other ages do not, and that file is either corrupted or absent for some unknown reason OR 2. there is some setting (graphic or audio or both) that this age requires that the others do not. What I don't know is how to determine which possibility is correct and how to go about determining that. The only other possibility I can think of is that there is some special way that this age reads a certain file or files that causes the problem. Given that I have played and completed all the other ages, there doesn't seem to be any other possible reasons for this problem.

Have I overlooked something?

One other thing I thought of as a way to get these ages. I wonder what might happen if I link to someone else's Relto on a shared link and then try to link to Eder Kemo instead of Eder Gira. Would I able to do that, I wonder? Then, perhaps, I can link into Eder Gira from there. Seems a long way round, but next time I'm in one of the 'hoods, I might see if someone is willing to let me give it a go.

I appreciate everyone's attempts to help me solve this rather unique (albeit quite frustruting) problem. I just wish I knew what to look for!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:26 pm 

Kiril wrote:
chucker wrote:
Okay, I did this. I noticed that the Mystlive was using the most memory (about 112K). When I touched the link to Gira, it dropped to about 66k, then rose back to 112k. But, the outcome was the same...I heard the link buzz, then the computer locks up. I had to turn off and back on...AGAIN!!

The issue has to be either: 1. there is some file or files that these ages require that the other ages do not, and that file is either corrupted or absent for some unknown reason OR 2. there is some setting (graphic or audio or both) that this age requires that the others do not.

Actually, If you have not been to that age yet, there is a considerable amount of network activity that will happen. I would bet your network icon light is on steady during that process. I think mine took 5 or 10 minutes to update for the Eders. That really stresses your network connection. This could indicate a possible networking issue. Have you checked for the Nvidia chipset problem (offload checksum)?

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm curious - how long have you waited with your computer locked up, to see if it will unlock?

I know that on my desktop system (a dual core Athlon X2), at certain points when Uru Live is loading an Age, the system will freeze and Uru Live consumes every little bit of CPU that it can. In Windowed mode, every other process I have open freezes at the same time. But if I am patient and wait, eventually everything unlocks and things continue.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next