It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:31 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:53 pm 

I am recieving reports of people in the city using extremely lewd language. I belive until some sort of saftey arrangment is made for a replacement for ResEngs with Ban capacity we should report these to Cyan thru RAWA so that we can at least help maintain saftey for a family friendly Cavern. I was not sure if this would happen fast or at all, but apparently it has. I believe we are a resource for this as we are known and I believe trusted by each other and by Cyan to care about such standards that we all agree to when we sign in each time with the EULA.

I would be interested in thoughts on this, but dont plan to make it a big deal, it is Cyans decsion as is all of this.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

this is touchy, touchy territory, like, brought an entire shard to its knees touchy. Cyan has said in the past they DO NOT want fans policing the cavern. I'd suggest don't say anything directly- other than asking them politely to stop- utilize the ignore feature-and fire a chat log off to Cyan if it gets real bad.

But remember- one persons lewd and nasty, is another person's casual conversation, and if you come off authoritarian and 'prude', the less likely they are to stop.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I kinda think this is covered under the "explore at your own risk" disclaimer we've received. I think we should act as we would if it were a real place. What would you do in real life? Probably just walk away from anyone whose language you found offense. Besides, all the actual curse words are still filtered AFAIK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Cyan tends to run a family friendly atmosphere, whilst it isn't our job to police the community (nor should it ever be) it is our jobs to police ourselves and act in accordance with the rules set down by Cyan. There are kids playing (my younguns like playing Uru themselves) and demeanor needs to be taken into account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Aside from policing ourselves and setting a good example, we can also point to the TOS agreement if we think someone is violating it (even if it doesn't have any real teeth without support for reporting, but they might not know that).

We can also advise others on how to use the Ignore feature and we can inform people about their option to use private instances of the city and even how to create their own neighborhood if they would like to create a safe/private environment for their family's use.

Also, keep in mind that some people will say and do things to get a reaction and the best way to stop them is to ignore them and not give them that satisfaction.

Common sense things like this will go a long way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:44 pm 
Cyan Employee

Um, yeah. My kids want to play, too. So I would also like to encourage a "family friendly" environment, especially in public spaces.

Will everyone cooperate? No.

Is Cyan in a position to enforce it? Not really.

Until I see how the community chooses to conduct itself, my kids will be limited to playing in their private hood and Ages, unless I'm there to help them with the ignore feature.

Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited. Prohibited where void.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:06 am 

I think Eleri's and Tai''s and Tweeks comments combined with RAWA give us a great way to go with this, thanks everyone for contributing and sharing such good common sense. Best way hopefuly is to just set good examples our selves.

great sharing and thanks a lot, helps me not worry and enjoy the fun. Much appreciated.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:19 am 
Creative Kingdoms

RAWA wrote:
Until I see how the community chooses to conduct itself...

Well, we had a paid, monitored and policed system for a while with controls in place. That didn't work out, but most people were pretty decent. Now that paid entry has been abandoned, folks are being let in for free and things are a little looser, probably because it's too much hassle to do it any other way. And they're crashing the gates of the server farm. But hey, we're all here for a good time, right? So now I expect most people will behave, some people will be pretty wild and crazy, but they are still quality, creative human beings. And for some, statistics will take over and the overflowing popularity will bring in some, well, less refined participants.

By now you should all know where I'm going with this.

That's right...

It's Woodstock out there.

Feel the love.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:49 am 

Where is that Farm Again?

My Volkswagen is almost out of gae :)

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ha... they should have called this revival MOULStock.

Peace,

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:18 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Someone called the PayPal donations MOULaid. Heh, it all fits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]