It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:17 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Memorial hacked
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Just for your info:
It looks like that someone hacked the memorial in the city.
See: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20309

I did mail RAWA and I hope he can disable the memorial asap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:22 pm 

That is sick and disgusting. I am afraid this sort of thing is not something i did not expect eventually with all the wild talk among the rogue and nasty people who have infested the pseudo 'guild of writers" which has really become the guild of hackers..and all the people who constantly attack Cyan and push push push for Open Source so they can grab MOUL and do what they want with it. I hope that Cyan can ban whoever did this and i am much afraid that this may risk much for all of us.

What creeps who did this.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

I know Cris.
But please let us try to keep our emotions in control.
Therefore I did open this topic so if there is a need to vent we can do it here and not in the public forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

CrisGer wrote:
That is sick and disgusting. I am afraid this sort of thing is not something i did not expect eventually with all the wild talk among the rogue and nasty people who have infested the pseudo 'guild of writers" which has really become the guild of hackers..and all the people who constantly attack Cyan and push push push for Open Source so they can grab MOUL and do what they want with it. I hope that Cyan can ban whoever did this and i am much afraid that this may risk much for all of us.

Lets not start this crap. Do you really think any of us would be stupid enough to do something like this when we already have to face a witch-hunt in this community for what we do? I would be going with a no here.

For all we know it could be default text on the imager and there was an issue, but no, gotta point the fingers at the "hackers" in the community.

MOUL is free, it's posted everywhere, which means less than desirable people are going to come in an shatter this little Utopian community people believe they have here without regards to how people may feel.

Course I fully expect this post to be reported for "personal attacks" but then I guess quickly blaming the GoW would constitute as a personal attack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

If this was the default text on the imager and if there was an issue, it would a good thing to say so. This will be helpfull to avoid more unrest.
And I have to agree that we have to stop pointing fingers to others. It is counterproductive and will lead to reactions which are not very helpfull.
Special in this fragile stage we need everyone to make MOUL a succes. Even if we do not agree with or dislike a person/group.

Last edited by veralun on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree that the reactions are understandable but may be a bit premature and also agree that pointing fingers is not a good idea it only gives reason to argue.

We don't know for sure that there was even really a hack, let alone by whom if there actually was. . . I prefer to believe that there was a vault glitch that substituted a stand in text . . . . either way I am sad that it is once again causing bad blood between the explorers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:47 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

It's easy to see why reactions are as they are - people are quite sensitive to the significance of the memorial, but you do need to take a step back, take a breath and think whether or not this is really a "hack" or some other kind of "system fault". I'm inclined to think the latter just now, given that there are odd things being discussed in the Tech forums that are probably vault/server related. Last night I was actually thinking that that server re-boot (but not a vault wipe) might be good idea to help clear some of the things that are cropping up.

CrisGer wrote:
Cris, that could start to look a bit silly if it turns out that Cyan inadvertently did this :wink:

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:11 am 
Obduction Backer

It must be someone that was able to get access with RW rights to the server content anyway and with knowledge where to alter that text exactly in the city content files of a rahther large an complex game, stored on the central servers.
That must be a rather small group of people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think I have to agree with JanB. All we end users can do is download content; even if we manipulated it on our hard drives, it wouldn't propagate to other machines.

[EDIT] I stand corrected. It is possible for end users to manipulate vault nodes. See topic here.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]