It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:55 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lag Scale
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:03 pm 

I am trying to develop an infornal Lag Scale to help describe to Support the current state of the Cavern.

MOUL2 Lag Scale 1.0
Feb 2010

1. No Lag Perfect flow Globally
2. Some Lag, Intermittent, not more often than 2 minutes or so, short duration
3. More Frequent, But only in heavily Trafficed Areas lilke the City or Ages with lots of animation (Gahreesen)
4. Often and freqent, say every 10 steps of avatar or lasting more than a second..ie a real freeze, may include CTD's
5. Heavy Weather, very laggy, swimming in Lag. May include CTDs, Stack Dumps or other player system impact.

Response may vary depending on connectivity, individual system resources and other factors.

This Scale is a work in progress, all suggestions welcome.

"We Build Worlds"

Last edited by CrisGer on Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:05 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Good idea Cris.

There is a distinct lag whenever some links into the age you're in, so "busy" doesn't always mean "laggy" if the population is relatively stable, although lag and population count are related.

The other thing I've noticed, and this may well be more down to my elderly PC, is that whenever I first start the game I get a fair bit of lag; this fades away through the course of maybe five minutes. The way my HD lamp flickers gives me the impression that some local data is being refreshed or more likely that my AV is scanning the game files as they get requested. Actually, that makes a lot of sense now that I think about it, because I see something similar happen whenever I move to a new age.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:44 pm 

Yes i am taking that into account Mac, agreed on the Start up data synch time...esp in the city. We may have to add some numbers to the scale to give it more detail, for now, this is a raw data first attempt. I am trying it on for size and working with support as i have had tickets today and yesterday refining the lag changes. Yesterday was better, last night was better than the day and today is worse than both, or equal to during the day yesterday but not consistently.

It varies, ...and is interesting to track.

any suggestions from anyone most welcome. we are in this together and our shared fun and happiness is our goal.

sure is nice to have steady and fast response from support, they are defenitly on the ball.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Only Lag? I noticed several CTD's yesterday and today especially when linking and noticed the overall performance is a little bumpy also when the load is getting higher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:06 pm 

I guess that when you "measure" lag you also need to correlate this to time of day, either local time or cavern time. The total number of players at any given moment may be a factor, and as players, we only have any idea of the players we can see on our lists. I don't know if Cyan can even determine a player count retrospectively: I'm sure they can tell how many players are currently on-line, but can they figure out how many were on-line yesterday at 3 PM :?

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:09 am 

yep Jan and i included the possiblity of CTDs in stage 4 and 5 of the scale...i had 2 CTDs today so far, and 2 yesterday

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:06 am 
Obduction Backer

I had 4 yesterday evening ( for me) they occured when linking. B.E Minkata > Bahro Cave after having completed the symbol ( With avi JanB2). So the swiching between module seems to be vunerable whan the load is higher on the servers.
Might be a tuning issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:06 pm 

There's something not quite "squaring" here...

I can get quite bad lag at times, and that can occur in solo ages so it's clearly tied to server load issues as I didn't get that (well not nearly as badly) before the game went open. I've always had some "client side" lag, because this PC I'm using isn't the fastest thing around by a long way. But, I have not had a single CTD right through the entire time, nor ever during MQO. I got a Net 6 when the servers went down on "Opening Monday", and I had another during the MQO closing day photo shoot. Twice in recent days I've "linked to the black age" and had to Alt-F4 out, but in both cases I'd toggled to my desktop and back to full screen during a link. Since minimising Uru during a link has always been known to delay a link from completing, I can't really say the problem was unexpected.

My point is that while CTDs may well be more likely at the busiest times, something else must be making CTDs possible in the first place. Root Cause Analysis - figure out why CTDs happen at all and then you don't need to worry about why they're more likely when it's busy. But I'm not suggesting that's a trivial task 8).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Net 6 err I had too when the servers went down.
I've seen a few more since too.
CTDs during linking most of the time happn when the next object needs to be loaded (rotating symbol dark new rotating symbol)
Sometimes it stops ( a still). Wait a few minutes. After taskmanageryou simply get an execution has stopped.
I recently set compatibility mode XP Sp2. Same result.
Ik wil check the eventlogs to look for a clue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
... Twice in recent days I've "linked to the black age" and had to Alt-F4 out, but in both cases I'd toggled to my desktop and back to full screen during a link.

I got the same after walking through the Tetsunot portal - and I had not done anything wierd in task switching at all. Ah, the joys of ancient unfixed bugs ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:03 pm 

CTDs have happened for me when linking back to Relto and when leaving the Bahro caves. I agree Mac it is odd, and seems unconnected directly to traffic. Not sure yet but a good thing for us to look for as much as possible. I wish they were stack dumps with code..but unless they turn the dumplog function back on the best we can do is gather raw data i suppose.

"We Build Worlds"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]