It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:29 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Chat Problems
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think everything is going great and The log ins are super fast now! I have experience only a small amount of Link in lag but nothing too terrible :) The only thing that's been a real problem is that the Chat doesn't seen to keep up with the actual people in the age or game. . .some buddies will not show or will not see me on their lists and even /reply does not get a message through, and last night another buddy was getting my PMs addressed to someone else! . . . . but I hope it will all smooth out as people start to spread out into smaller groups.

The other Problem, I had was that sharing my Relto book was giving me that old X'd out curser. . . CrisGer reminded me that there used to be a problem when you have changed your hood membership, which I did do. . . Thanks Cris for researching that for me so I can hopefully make it right. :D

It is so GOOD to have all the explorers in the cavern, but I have to admit I kind of miss out small group fun ;)

Last edited by Mystdee on Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:49 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Yes, there is something going on with player lists: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19465

First day I was in this beta I saw problems, but they seemed to clear up afterwards, so it doesn't seem like a "hard" fault. My suspicion is that there's some kind of caching going on in the server, and sometimes it just loses the plot.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:56 pm 

I am digging deep into my notes as far back as 2004 for info on possible causes of the Not being able to share, so far, it seems to come and go. Ethan had it but it started working again.

The main and only theory that seems to apply to it globally is possibly trying to share in a crowded place, but that is only a possiblity ...the hood change can affect things but that too is only part of a possibly theory so far. We will keep trying, please keep an ear out for anyone who has had this and get whatever info you can.

thnigs are indeed looking good.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

well I was able to share my book today so that seems to be OK I think you may be right about the crowded areas, although this time it did work in a busy city. . . . :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:17 pm 

Vince_Game was having trouble sharing his Relto book with me in the city, so we tried Kirel instead (only three other people there), but still no go. I could get the share cursor up OK, but Vince kept getting the X; he even tried Blade Lakem, so it wasn't just my avvie he couldn't share with. I wouldn't be surprised if not being able to share and the "funny" player lists are related issues.

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I had the same issue on Tuesday night. I'd created an avatar and made a new hood with it, and using that avatar, tried to share my Relto book with someone so they could join the hood, but kept getting the X. Tried linking out and back in, but that didn't work. There were only three of us in the hood at the time, so crowding wasn't the issue. And, I did try to share the book with the other person present, but also got an X on them.

What is the theory about avatars that have changed hoods having this specific problem? Because, obviously, in order to create a new hood, those avatars will have changed hoods. But, many people are creating hoods, so it's not a persistent issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:36 pm 

The little bit I know is that the hood change thing is (obviously) temporary, but what suddenly makes it "OK" again, I don't know. Maybe swapping avvies again, or quitting and re-starting clear the issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:00 am 
Obduction Backer

for me it cleared up after 2 days leaving the game the second day and coming back the next day. . . so that really doesn't give us a clear answer because the first day logging out and next day return I did that it didn't help even with the Server ugrade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:02 am 
Obduction Backer

I also noticed that sharing my Relto book does not work all the time. I had to try several time on serveral occasions.
But in all cases finally that went OK after a few retries.

BTW I started yesterday also an Avi JanB2 KI 593052, member of the Mystfriends Hood.
That makes it easy to join my old Dutch Mystfriends. Most of then I met during the first URU beta in 2004 and 2005 and with a small remainng group we try to meet in real life at least once a year ever since.
A remarkable thing is that now also many of the old members, we had lost contact with are returning too. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Another big problem that I have seen and that others have reported to me, is that when someone sends a PM to another it often goes to the wrong person even though the correct name is displayed!! To me this is a really bad thing. It could create some serious problems. when someone sends a private message it needs to be private, as intended! I was sending PMs to various people (fortunately not anything that couldn't be posted publicly) and I got reports from other people that they had rec'd them even tho my display showed the name I had intended, most of the time the intended person also got them but there may have been times when they did not!

I also got some PMs from a friend last night that were clearly not intended for me and when I mentioned it to her she said that she had not sent any PMS to anyone! So someone else's PMs were coming to me with her name on them and judging from the content I was not even the intended recipient! I will report this officially, even though it may work itself out.

Last edited by Mystdee on Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:41 pm 

wow, PM trouble i see

well we will have to keep a close eye on that. the only safe PM is in a age with an age player i guesss.

tricky

so far, no real idea bout the non functional Relto Book share but talking with Doughera about it so far it looks like it is partly a factor of trying in a laggy area....but also there may be some effect of hood change. I am digging thru my notes from way back...will see.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:08 pm 

I just can't find the post now, but I commented on a number of chat/player list issues that I'd seen. I'm sure that it's all connected. I guess that IDs are getting mixed up as people link in and out faster than that then game can keep track. I think it's a database concurrency issue - one server works with one copy of a set of data while another is busy changing it - result: confusion.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]