It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:22 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:19 pm 

Hi,
I saw today someone's location signed on my KI as HAX
Anybody have a clue as to what it could be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

It looks like someone is trying to be funny because he/she saw this post and the reactions on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:46 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Yes I mentioned that exchange to Ethan, but the question is how did they get a location of "HAX" to show in the KI of other players?

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's above my paygrade. But a guess...names and locations are sometimes truncated in my KI. Could someone have renamed a Bevin to HACK________________________________Bevin or something like that and only the first dozen characters show?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:40 am 

I have a screen shot of my KI but I don't know if it is a good idea to post it here, and if it were, maybe I should blur the person's name just in case this is something quite innocent.

But like I said, the location on my KI was HAX. Just 3 letters, all in high case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:52 am 

HenryMikel wrote:
It's above my paygrade. But a guess...names and locations are sometimes truncated in my KI. Could someone have renamed a Bevin to HACK________________________________Bevin or something like that and only the first dozen characters show?

That is precisely the thought I had, funnily enough. But I've never seen a hood like that in the Nexus, although it could have been set as Private.

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:34 pm 

No matter whatever Bevin you are in, it will always be called just Bevin on the KI, so... the MYSTery thickens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Perhaps a "test" for uploading (photoshopped) pictures to a KI? :?

I am sure the "master" of the VM can give an answer on this mystery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:06 pm 

Having had a little more time to think about it, I'm more inclined to think that this is not actually anything that we need to get too concerned about, because either:
a) It was a glitch that erroneously copied some other bit of vault data into the location field (a bit like the issues that sometimes attribute the wrong player name to some chat, or that allowed duplicate hood names), or
b) It is actually a location, in which case Cyan would almost certainly need to have been party to the entry getting into the vault in the first place, maybe as veralun suggests a work-in-progress for some plug-in that is being worked on.

In either of the above cases, there's nothing much to worry about. Ethan was going to ticket the issue. If there's anything untoward, I expect Cyan will deal with it.

For me, option c) which would be that someone had managed to hack the vault, comes pretty low down on the probability scale, because if someone had changed an age name, then everyone visiting that age would show the new name.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]