It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:31 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:07 pm 

Ktahdn wrote:
A note on loudness and perception

A listener's comment about automatic volume levelling prompted this brief explanation. Sound is, in many ways, a peculiar phenomenon. Understanding never hurts.

The human ear can perceive sound over a range of about 20 cycles per second (very low bass) to 20,000 cycles (very high treble). In loudness, the range is from 0 decibels (by definition) to... well, 100 dB can be taken for brief times, 120 dB is almost immediate damage to the delicate workings of the inner ear.

The truth is, however, that environmental noise always limits the lower threshold. A quiet living room will be at about 20 dB, and more likely at about 30. An office, with people talking and other activities, will be around 40 to 60 depending on what's going on.

This matters for people listening to music in noisy places. Quiet passages in the music will be lost in the environmental noise.

How loud is a particular piece of music? This brings up the concept of average loudness versus peak loudness. Peak is what you get when the drummer whaps a cymbal: a sharp spike of sound, followed by decreasing loudness as the cymbal's vibrations damp out due to friction. To faithfully record that sound, you must keep that peak loudness below the saturation threshold of the recording equipment. In the old days of analog recordings you could fudge this because distortion set in "softly." With digital recordings, once you hit the top of the scale, that's it. You get this nasty digital clipping.

And so, we have compression. How to fit the 100-dB range of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony into a recording's 60-dB signal to noise ratio? You compress it: Amplify the lows, attenuate the highs. This is pretty much required for consumer analog devices. Digital recording has basically unlimited signal to noise (CDs can handle 96 dB, professional systems upward of 120) but people have gotten used to compression. Loud is impressive; give people a choice between two souirces, and they'll always say the louder one, even if the difference is slight, sounds better.

The problem is that compression always detracts from the music, and not just with obvious artifacts. Modern audio compressors work almost invisibly, but still remove one of the musician's modes of expression: the ability to play softly, or loudly, depending on what the music needs. When you get hit in the face with a flood of sound, the main consideration is keeping your head above water. This works great for people using portables in loud places, such as buses. It's just terrible for anyone who cares about all the expression of which music is capable.

So, I don't do it. I don't mess with the music. I don't play MP3 if I can help it. I don't listen to much modern rock music because it is so heavily compressed I feel as if a choir of dwarves is hammering on my head. I like expression, I like nuance, I like subtlety. Compression strips much of this out.

What you hear on Radio KTDN is the best quality I can provide. Thanks to Ashtar, I have the use of a good server so I can broadcast at 128 kilobits. This is a compromise; we tried 256 once, but many of the listeners had problems with that. The source music is from Apple Lossless files on a Firewire hard disk. I care about music.

Each of us hears differently. I'm not saying I'm right and that all people should follow my guidance. I use my perception as a guide and go from there.
--Kt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:05 pm 

I found another scrap of paper on the floor outside the Musical Laboratory... Record-keeping? History?

Ktahdn the Mysterious wrote:

2005 May ? #1 "Ambo" or... "Uru: music"
2005 June: 10 (PC) Loreena...
2006 June: ? (who's counting?)
2007 June: ? (Mac, re-rip in progress)
2008 June: ?
2009 June: ?
2010 June: 1900 (!)
2011 January: 1985
2011 February: #1997 (Nikhil Banerjee, Shree Rag)

2011 XXXX 2000 Celebration?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Cool, here's something for our puzzle and riddle fanatics!!! ... :)

Anyone ready and knowledgable in Uru's recent history?
So, when, where and why?... haha... Where the mysterious
term in question will most probably tell the reason why... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:00 am 
Obduction Backer

ghaelen looks, blanches, looks again, covers her mouth as a gasp escapes her. "Oh my...."

/runmadlyamok

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:13 pm 

Ktahdn the Organized wrote:
Restructuring...
#1991 Nikhil Bannerjee, Shree Rag
2011 Feb #1992 Brubeck, "The Great Concerts"
#1993 Schubert, Missa Solemnis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:36 am 

But wait . . . a week ago he was already up to #1997. And now Bannerjee is knocked back to 1991? You can't be telling us that Ktahdn--got rid of music??!?

*faints dead away*

MOULagain KI #59621

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:14 pm 

Jane, I don't know and I didn't ask. It could be that the hard disk just got tired of a couple of lumps, like Captain Hollywood Project... Could also be some things disappeared in reorganization; we've learned a lot about music tags over the years.

You know Kt likes to be honest. In most things, anyway. My guess would be that he wants it to be 2000, really. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:41 am 

Ktahdn the Acquisitive wrote:
2011 March #1994: Meadowlark, "Free Fall"
#1995: Dave Brubeck, "Brubeck / Mulligan / Cincinnati"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:22 pm 

Ktahdn, the Musical Traveller wrote:
#1996: Berlioz, "Harold in Italy;" overtures "Rob Roy" and "The Corsair," Montreal Symphony, Charles Dutoit
#1997: Will Ackerman, "Returning"
#1998: Dr L. Subramanian, "Raga Sarasvatipriya," "Raga Vasantapriya," "Raga Sivapriya" (violin)
#1999: Zia Mohiuddin Dagar, "Raga Yaman," (rudra vina)
#2000: Zia Mohiuddin Dagar, "Raga Shuddha Todi" (rudra vina)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:21 pm 

Woohoo!! Do we have lift-off? When's the party? :D

MOULagain KI #59621

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:21 am 

Ktahdn the Somewhat Delayed wrote:
#2438 Berlioz, "Les Nuits d'Ete," "La Mort de Cleopatra" Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Robin Ticciati (Karen Cargill, mezzo-soprano)

Silk Road Journey V, 9.5 hours, 2014 May 3 (SL): success. No basic changes needed.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:43 am 
Obduction Backer

Talk about a resurrection...lol

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:50 am 
Obduction Backer

Very nice, Charura, and maybe also Ktahdn had something special in mind when dropping that note ...
Happy B-day, LC ... :D

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Happy Birthday, LC. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:03 pm 

Thank you. :)

I thought I saw some notes passing between Kt and Christine. Don't know what that's about. When I've seen him, Kt has been wandering aimlessly, muttering about Syria, Anatolia, Celts, the Assyrian Empire, and... goats? I think he's still feeling the effects of the 9.5 hour Silk Road Journey.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9