It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:32 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:15 am 
Obduction Backer

ohhh Tai, please invite me to your Minkata! Ki 96607

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:47 am 

Tai,

Please send an invitation. Thanks! :D

LAHI

KI# 00270844
"...there is always more than one way to skin a reekoo" - Aitrus, BoT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:32 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Just a reminder that you can find all the event details in the Radio KTDN Fifth Anniversary Celebration thread. Please use that thread to post requests for invites to Minkata. You can also check the Minkata Guest List there to see if I've received your request. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:32 pm 

I'd like an invitation as well Tai :)

KI: 46415

I'll try to make it if I can!

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

*cough*cough*

Tai'lahr wrote:
Just a reminder that you can find all the event details in the Radio KTDN Fifth Anniversary Celebration thread. Please use that thread to post requests for invites to Minkata. You can also check the Minkata Guest List there to see if I've received your request. :D

*Signs up the lost explorers and makes a notation by their names* :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:18 pm 

The hints got stronger yesterday. I know Ktahdn has been working on his Silk Road Journey playlist for a long time, and yesterday debuted the rebuilt west end. Four hours long, and the audience was mesmerized. Mostly. :) So, I think we can count on a presentation of the whole trek sometime in the coming month... I think Kt wants to make some more tweaks to it. I'll keep you posted as this develops.

Some comparisons:
First presentation, late 2005: about 1.3 hours.
Second presentation, Second Life 2009: about 3.5 hours
Third presentation is looking like close to 7 hours... never let Kt get close to Amazon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Despite the crashes, I had a good time. I think everyone did. Minkata is a surprisingly good venue for this kind of get-together.

Here's to more of the same! (Are the search parties still looking for poor Ethan? :lol: )

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:32 am 

TOOO, we did eventually find Ethan. Marcus went out and found this vaguely man-shaped ambulatory dust pile, helped clean him up, and sent him back. Marcus was looking for the Maintainers' mark. We gave Ethan some water and he was fine.

In other news... I found the following on a scrap of paper on the floor outside of Ktahdn's Secret Musical Skunk Works:

Ktahdn wrote:

2010 June 20 Done. Version 3. 7:41:00
Trekking kit? Oasis sand dance...
Test run SL 2010 July 3 1000-1800
Tai? RVG?
pItch: Narrated Musical Journey?
URU???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:43 am 
Obduction Backer

Ktahdn wrote:
Tai? RVG?

:shock:

What now? :?

*sends a message to the RVG and goes back to sleep*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:41 am 

Tai'lahr wrote:
*sends a message to the RVG and goes back to sleep*

:shock:

What now? :?

RVG reporting. What's all this about a message? I thought we had the day off!

*makes grumbly noises and goes back to sleep*

MOULagain KI #59621

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

I d'no if this has anything to do with Ktahdn's mysterious message, but a camel seems to have wandered onto the Guild of Healers Outreach Retreat in Second Life. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:58 pm 

Ktahdn wrote:
7:48:00 Sufi Soul!!!!

Outta control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:09 am 

Tai, I have to admit I was skeptical when I read your post. What on earth would a camel be doing in the Healers' Retreat??? But I just went to look and there is certainly something there that looks like a camel. What do you think he's doing there? And how the heek did he get there?

He seems quite calm, but I'm glad Elsie's up in the lodge. I don't like to think what might happen if she got underfoot.

And LC, if that last note from Ktahdn means what I think it does, you better cut off his credit at Amazon--quick!

MOULagain KI #59621

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:19 am 
Obduction Backer

More camels, now... mountains, sand dunes, oasis, campfire, silk rugs... and Ktahdn has sent out a few notices to Uru groups in SL about holding an eight-hour event there. Eight hours? Is he crazy? Who's going to sit still for eight hours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:36 am 

Just strolling along, checking the forum for the evening... and... WHAT???

He's actually going to do this? And behind my back, too. I thought Kt had some confidence in me... well, I guess he's committed now. Or should be. I see your point, Tai.

Oh... what's this? A note taped to the door of the Secret Musical Skunk Works.

Ktahdn wrote:
Well, yes, I may very well be nuts. You think I haven't considered the length of this thing? But, really, it's as long as it needs to be, given the various factors. I'll try to explain some of them.

When I was a kid I saw maps of Asia and wondered what was in that big central area that looked so empty. Eventually satellite images were available but they didn't help much; there's a lot of land in there. Then some years back I found, by accident, NHK's video series on the Silk Road, and the region began to come alive. People, towns farms, activity, life, music.

In the mid-1980s I heard Kitaro's Silk Road music and liked it, but didn't get around to buying it until the topic came up at a Music NIght get-together with friends. I bought the CDs and played them, which made for a nice evening. All it needed was more, to make it an evening, and in the years following I searched for music from the area.

The three-and-a-half hour presentation we did in Second Life last year for the Guild of Healers was the first result of that musical research. We had a good time... and it seemed folks wanted more. Well, I wanted more. I wanted to fill in some of the musical gaps. Also, some of the music in that playlist was rather more Western than seemed fitting, but it was all I had at the time.

This new playlist solves all of the problems, but as stories do it has grown in the telling. It now pushes 8 hours. I've always thought that if something is made well enough, people can demonstrate great patience, but in this one I'm asking for a lot even by my standards.

Still, it is not a marathon. The playlists are structured as a series of "days," morning, day, evening, night, each of which spans roughly a conceptual month of caravan travel. There are 8 days from Chang'an, China, to Istanbul, Turkey. This corresponds to a straight-through travel time of 8 months, which is about what a dedicated traveller would take. Most people would not do the whole trail, but would be traders moving back and forth between major trading centers.

So, we'll get up in the morning, pick up our camp, start moving, and proceed. In late afternoon we will approach the next camp area or caravanserai, where we can relax, eat dinner, and dance. You can come and go throughout the course of the journey, but I'll be narrating through text chat to help set the mood, so you may miss a few things.

I do hope you enjoy the trip. This is the first full-scale running of the rebuilt Journey, although I have reviewed it, and also played parts of it for various friends.

So, we don't really need to sit still for 8 hours. It's not a lecture. It's a celebration of passage, of journey, with all that implies. Good weather, bad weather, strange and new things, discomfort, sudden delight, things that we wish were over with already and things that are much too short.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next