It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:03 pm 

Hi Everyone

As has been mentioned, the 20th anniversary of Myst is coming up on the 24th September
and a group of us have got together to try to organise some events to celebrate this anniversary.

We have a few ideas of our own, which I will discuss in a moment, but we'd also like you, the Uru community to contribute anything you can, whether it is a marker game or a quiz or maybe even a story night. Whatever you think would be a great idea for people in the community to enjoy as part of the celebrations.

The ideas we have ourselves so far are:
  • Music from various D'niJs organised by the D'ni Musicological Research Hood
  • Puzzles and Quizzes
  • a "Design An Age" competition

The community has many people who each in their own way hold events as diverse as soccer matches to city races to big complex events such as D'nipalooza. We are not asking anyone to organise anything big, but just a little something that you can do, which when added to things others have done will make a one big event.

The community has done this before if you remember ADBMM - April Discoveries Bring May Mysteries, let's show we can do that again!

And let's not forget our explorers outside of America, this is after all an international community, and we all make Uru a special place to be.

Here are some details of two of the events we would like people to get involved with during the three days of the celebrations of the 20th anniversary of Myst.

Design An Age Competition
Calling all Age designers! Get out your sketch pads and crayons!
Here is your chance to show your talent in designing and Age that you think Cyan would make and people would enjoy.
You can enter your design in any medium you wish, whether it is concept sketches, video or just a text description, it is up to you.
The more media you enter with, the better your chances of winning, but just a few lines of text is just as likely to win than pages and pages of art.
So this is a competition, what do you win? Well, at the moment, we can't offer any prize, but you could have the pride of saying your design or idea was the best. We have yet to confirm who will decide the winner.
So don't just sit there, get designing now!

Door Run Race Tournament
What is a Door Run Race?
Two teams of maximum eight people gather at the map and are told which hoods to go to. They have to get the door open as soon as possible, with officials watching, take a picture of the door open and send that to the judge at the map. The first team to get their picture to the judge and all members return to the map, win.
So how does a tournament work?
Two teams will race on Friday 20th September
Two teams will race on Saturday 21st September
the winners from Friday and Saturday race each other on Sunday
If more than four teams wish to enter, we will adjust the races accordingly.
So get your teams organised and start practising.

These are just two events, your own ideas are very welcome.

More details will follow.

Further, if you would like to contact the DMR our unified email address is:
[email protected]

Follow us on Twitter @DMR_bevin

If anyone has any questions at all please message us either at the above email address or on Skype at

live-in-the-dmr

Or post in this thread.

Thanks again for all of your support and participation - we look forward to seeing you in the cavern!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:44 am 

As I wrote earlier, this anniversary coincides with the first anniversary of Magic Bot and Mimi Bot.
We are planning a big event for this special celebration.
* A magical new age will be created with opening show.
* THe 15 th Magicgame will be online too in this new magical age
* New shirts will be available to use in your private ages and Magic World of course !
* Dance Party

When ? Sept. 20 from 13 KI Time. Link with Magic and Mimi bots.

Course of the evening:
* Mister Magic will welcome participants in the Relto Magic Bot. He will be surrounded by the forum administrators "Uru MagicWorld".
* Speech by Mister Magic and the admins of the forum.
* Opening show of the 20th magical age.
* Gifts, launch of Magicgame 15.
* Dance party with DJ Gay Hood.

All are welcome :D

For the 21th Sepetember at 13 KI Time:
We inform all fans of water polo that a game is scheduled Saturday, September 21 towards 13 KI Time, as part of the 20th anniversary of Myst.
If you want participate register with Kaaja or [x] or myself.
Some of you are already registered. But "More the merrier, the more the merrier." :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah fellow explorers and Myst fanatics!

As part of the Myst 20th anniversary celebrations, I will be presenting a slideshow lecture related to my Cleft Location Project work. Here are the details:

Quote:
DATE: Saturday 21 Sep 2013 0300 KI
PRESENTATION: New Mexico Geology and Paleontology--A Pre-History and Exo-History of D'ni
PRESENTER: Ainia
AUDIO: EdisonRex
LIAISON: AlanD

Details
The presentation is in three parts. Depending on how much discussion is generated during the presentation, it's possible we won't have time to finish all of them. If this happens, a follow-up presentation will be scheduled for a later time. Once the slideshow lecture is presented in its entirety, the narrative will be posted to the forums for others to download and read.

**If someone feels so inclined, it would be nice to get the event recorded for posterity!** :)

Instructions
  • If you wish to attend, you will need to join the Guild of Cartographers by going to Kirel and taking one of their shirts (blue). A link to the Guild Pub will be added automatically to your Nexus.
  • The lecture will be broadcast live over the DMR server along with music by Turjan and Piboc. To listen, you must go to the server web page at http://184.82.87.122:6042 and click the Listen button. (Detailed instructions)
  • Slides will be posted one at a time on the pub imager during the lecture. A full copy of the slides can be downloaded and previewed. (6MB PDF)
  • There will be pauses at the end of each slide for questions and discussion. AlanD has graciously offered to collect questions from attendees during the narrative and then present them during each pause, so please PM him directly via your KI.

Guidelines
  • I will be busy reading through my narrative and managing the slides on the imager so will not be watching the KI chat; please be sure to PM AlanD with questions or discussion topics so they are not missed before the text scrolls off screen or fades.
  • In the same vein, please use public chat judiciously so AlanD doesn't miss anything important for later discussion. Of course, everyone is welcome to use private chat as they wish.
  • Be aware that there is a significant delay for the voiceover. You will need to be patient during the Q&A/discussion times as my answers will lag behind the questions.
  • We have tested things as well as we can, but cannot guarantee this process will be error-free! We appreciate your understanding!! ;)

Links
For the truly studious, here are links to some of the online resources I consulted in developing the lecture:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah All -

As part of the Myst 20th anniversary celebration weekend The DMR will present Music from 1500 Ki until 2100 Ki (5PM eastern - 11PM eastern)

This will begin immediately following the water polo event as detailed above by Mister Magic

All of the DMR staff will present 10 songs of their choosing: This is to include Christine / Mouski / Planetary / AlanD / and UglyDog - which should make for a very diverse and enjoyable mix.

Join us in the DMR for part or all of this fun presentation as we celebrate 20 years of Myst together

Hope to see all of you there!

Click here for the publically visible Google DMR Calendar

REMEMBER - we now broadcast using a shoutcast server:
http://184.82.87.122:6042

Click here for instructions on playing the stream

Follow us on Twitter @DMR_bevin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:43 am 
Obduction Backer

Ainia wrote:
Shorah fellow explorers and Myst fanatics!

As part of the Myst 20th anniversary celebrations, I will be presenting a slideshow lecture related to my Cleft Location Project work. Here are the details:

Quote:
DATE: Saturday 21 Sep 2013 0300 KI
PRESENTATION: New Mexico Geology and Paleontology--A Pre-History and Exo-History of D'ni
PRESENTER: Ainia
AUDIO: EdisonRex
LIAISON: AlanD

Amazing work, Ainia, and thanks to EdisonRex and AlanD for making it work so well. Plus it was so fitting to be in the Cartographer's Pub looking at maps (and other interesting pics). Congrats to all! (and sorry for disappearing just at the start, my laptop is on its last legs. I had everything crossed that it wouldn't let me down again...)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:27 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah Acorn1 (and everyone else too!),

Thanks so much to everyone who attended the slideshow! (And thanks uglydog for enlightening us about some little-known geologic tidbits! ;) )

As promised, here is the narrative.

Enjoy!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:43 am 
Obduction Backer

What a wonderful way to start this day on the weekend of the Myst 20th Anniversary celebrations with an impressive presentation and introduction to the historical geology of the Earth and D'ni from the very beginning until today ... :P

I already thought I wouldn't make it, I was some twenty minutes or so late, but I'm glad I did ... :)

I really didn't expect this to work so incredibly well as for the inclusion and usage of the imager and the visibility and the lecture over Shoutcast etc., everything worked out so wonderfully, but this was so perfectly well prepared and organized in every respect by Ainia, of course, and the DMR, means EdisonRex and AlanD, who were also present and recording this whole presentation of 1.5 hrs for everyone interested or who couldn't attend, and we even had Turjan's beautiful music in the background, so it had to end up in such an amazing performance ...

Thanks a lot again to everyone who organized this, esp. to Ainia for those astounding and immense efforts, this comprehensive lecture and sharing of your vast insights, gained through your extensive research activities in the cavern and on the surface through this impressive presentation, for the beautiful handouts in our KI as well as with the PDF and for everything ... :D

Ohh, I just see, you're even sharing the whole narrative while I write this ... wow, many thanks and kudos again ... :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ainia wrote:
As promised, here is the narrative.

Enjoy!!

I''m reading it with interest - and wondering what the favourite food of the Oreodont might be :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

How I wish I could have been there to see and hear the results of this combination of skills! Thank you all for putting this together. I hurried to read the lecture first thing this morning. Perhaps we could have a thread started devoted to a discussion of the talk?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ventris, I think that this thread may do but if there is a lot of discussion then Ainia posts her field trips in the Creativity section, so there would be a good place to start.

The presentation was first class, and deserves to be published as a paper somewhere - I don't know of the appropriate forum, really. The final tie-in with what we know of D'ni history and exploration was the icing on the cake, a masterful tie-in to our shared spare-time activity. The slides are excellent and presented well on the imager - I was a long way back so could not see the detail, but I expect it would be visible to Uglydog, who was closer.

If you can gather enough audience members and petition Ainia strongly, she might be persuaded to do another presentation, at a more US - friendly time. Then it will be me that has to stay up late :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

The recording of Ainia's presentation is here.

Enjoy! This was one of the more interesting things I have seen done in the Cavern lately.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ohh, thanks a lot, EdisonRex ... great quality recording with a more intense background music pleasure along with Ainia's beautiful voice ... it'll be a delight to listen to that again ... Thanks again, everyone ... :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:16 am 
Obduction Backer

Wow, thanks EdisonRex!

Now that we have the audio, folks who missed the event can get the whole gist, minus the imager views (which were very nice, I think) and live chat/discussion. So almost-but-not-quite the real thing. :)

Again, many, MANY thanks to everyone who helped me put this together: AlanD, EdisonRex, Lyrositor. And honorable mentions to Piboc and Turjan for creating such wonderful music and sharing it freely with our community; and to Planetary for being ready to pitch in with any audio issues; and Nev'yn/the Guild of Messengers for the announcements. And of course, deep appreciation to the Guild of Cartographers for the use of their pub and imager. I hope we left it as tidy as we found it. (Send me the bill if it needs cleaning!) ;)

A nice celebration of Myst's 20th birthday!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:36 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah everyone,

Here are a few photos from some of the other Myst 20th anniversary activities.

Magic Kirel party on Friday afternoon
[Reveal] Spoiler: Annabelle's pet Bahro, La bahrotte, visits some explorers in Magic Kirel

[Reveal] Spoiler: Annabelle explains that she adopted an orphaned baby Bahro, a casualty of their civil war

Magic Ahnonay water polo match on Saturday afternoon
[Reveal] Spoiler: I find a high perch with a great view

[Reveal] Spoiler: The water polo match begins

[Reveal] Spoiler: La bahrotte is fascinated by these strange explorers who like to be wet

[Reveal] Spoiler: End of match group photo with the Wahrks in black (D'feri, Sanguina, MagicLileth, piri919), Mimi Bot, and the Sunners in yellow (Annabelle, Len555, sky6, janeerah); in front is Mister Magic the referee; missing are AlanD (Wahrks), Zen'den'Lupe (Sunners), and MagicYoda (Sunners)

[Reveal] Spoiler: So who won??
I believe the Wahrks won but cannot be certain of the final score; the official scoreboard and my own count were in violent disagreement! :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah everyone,

Just to round out the Myst 20th anniversary weekend celebrations, I have finished editing a video of the water polo match in Magic Ahnonay. You can view it on YouTube here; for folks who'd prefer to view the widescreen version or download it for later viewing, you can find the original file here (67MB).

Enjoy! :D