It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:13 am 

That time has come where we will "officially" open the International Hood! Plans are in the works and if you have any ideas or ways of contributing, I would greatly appreciate it. So far our thoughts are:

~On Friday, April 22nd is International Mother Earth Day in which we will celebrate by visiting numerous Ages. We do not have a start time yet but it will be over by 14ki to accommodate for the dance party. Music will be broadcasted by Joker.

~On Saturday, April 23rd I will speak about the Hood and what it's all about. I will also ask that if anyone is interested, they are welcome to come up and talk about their country. I'm hoping a few people will be willing to do that. I will then make a chart of who is talking about what country and when and will post it on this forum so people can plan their day accordingly.

There are a couple things that I would like to ask as well like:

~Will the tours be finished before that weekend?
~Is it possible to borrow the Language bot on the 23rd?
~Would Mr. Magic be willing to use the bot on the 22nd so that we could move people from one Age to the next?
~Is there anything else I should be aware about and should plan around?
~Can I get some other people to help monitor the events?

I would love if the people in charge of those areas could message me in some sort of way.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I would appreciate any input you all have!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:19 pm 

I am still looking for plenty of speakers. Please message me if you would like to speak on Saturday, April 23rd. You will be speaking about your culture (ex. religion, food, automobiles, life style, family, homes, etc.) and you are welcome to use voice chat. You can also speak a few words in your language as well.

You will speak for at least 10 minutes and at most 30 minutes. Please notify me of how long you would like to speak. This will also include a Q&A so please take that into account. As for times, I'm not sure who will speak when, I need to get some speakers before I can decide that, but if you have a time frame that you prefer to speak, please let me know ASAP.

Thank you all for you consideration of being a part of this day.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:04 pm 

I also would like to add a couple quick things about this hood in general and some things I would like to be a part of it in the future:

1) The point to the International Hood is to bring the community together. We will bring all the countries together and celebrate as one. Also, it's to help new members find others who speak their language (ex. A German can find out what the Germans do and that they can join the German NULP's Hood).

2) I would love to have some future events. If you would like to celebrate something and borrow the hood, you're welcome to. Please just ask me.

3) In the future, I would possibly like to have a Music Of the World Night dedicated solely to music from other countries. We will party to music from Spain, Germany, Japan, France, etc.

4) This hood does not necessarily need to be run by me. I would love any and all input on what should happen in the hood or what I could do to better the hood. Anything that can benefit the hood is welcome!

5) Please pm me with any questions or comments you have!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:52 pm 

I think having a place where non-English speaking players can connect with people who speak the same language is a great idea. Of course, they need to be made aware of the Hood as well (otherwise it's a futile exercise). How will this integrate with the other hoods/communities?

I'm all for a World Music Night (or day) event! A monthly culturally-themed event (e.g. a Spanish night) could also work well & would be very interesting.

& for those of you who have been involved with the International Hood before, what were some of the challenges in getting it started?

& other than music events, what other sorts of events have happened in the hoods over the years? Maybe some of those ideas can be applied/modified here? (with an International slant?)

After 162 views on this post, *someone* must have some ideas!
Snick is trying to build something & give back to the community, so let's help her out and hear some of your thoughts on this!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:15 pm 

For many years, the DMR was the place to be for music.
Every type of music and dancing was there. It was fabulous.
Ms Christine was the leader and any music we wanted to hear
she could set it up. You could also ask her to play your picks
during the evening or you could set it up with "your" night of music.
Miss those days.

Love you and miss you Ms Christine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:43 pm 

Well, as a co-creator of the original Hood here's some thoughts about this all...

As for Events The Hood was involved in arranging, IIRC at least the following:
MYST 20 Years Anniversary. MOULa 5 Years On-Line Anniversary.
I.H.P. Open Hood Day [for the different Shards Presenting their work & artists
within the community etc. etc.] Most of these drew a good crowd, I'd say...
[and some of the Cyan'tists took part in them too!]

Initially the Hood was not aimed to do Musical Events, but I got Christine & Ed
and several others [I've forgotten the names of] to help out with the Streams
on occasions, when that was needed!

But I think, since DMR/WMR were active at that point, we did not wish the Hood
become a competition musical wise, so to speak... As for now I just don't know
what activity they, the WMR might have?

But yeah. Maybe a monthly, minor musical event would be great! No big parties!

As for the challenges?! Well, promoting, promoting, promoting!!! And keeping up
your own energies while doing it. But also, finding people who can/wish/are able
to get involved! And finding a good spot in the weekly/monthly calendar...

These days we have a lot of people doing Streams [there was a mere few then,
about'ish 3 years ago]. Who of those could or would like to chip in?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:54 am 

Problem is, as you can see, nobody wants to be involved. I keep asking for speakers. I promote it in the cavern, I have and advert going, this forum post, and I've sent out a KI mail to make its rounds, which I even had Davide kindly translate for the Italians.

At this point in time, I have 1 speaker. So obviously nobody is interested in hearing speakers and I need a new idea. Problem is, the only idea we have so far is the music night, which I'd love to do, but I don't think it's appropriate for opening day. At this point, maybe it's the best bet though.

Because I have no idea what the outcome for this event will be, at this rate it doesn't look so good, I haven't talked to Mister Magic yet about possibly helping out on the 23rd. I haven't even come up with a great time slot yet. But I don't want to ask him to do something that isn't going to happen.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:37 am 
Obduction Backer

Snickuster wrote:
Problem is, as you can see, nobody wants to be involved.

Isn't it interesting how everybody likes the idea of people running events in the Cavern, but when it comes down to it, none of them actually want to do anything?

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Kath you've addressed an issue I've been having to, same thing for more of my ideas snick yet you will get multi post here which makes no sense, I willing to pitch in where I needed though. :D

I could post the event on Facebook and the various groups to see if anyone would be willing to get involved if you like.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:22 pm 

zeke3651 wrote:
I could post the event on Facebook and the various groups to see if anyone would be willing to get involved if you like.

I would love that Zeke, and please mention that if anyone has any other ideas, I'd be willing to hear them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:11 pm 

KathAveara wrote:
Isn't it interesting how everybody likes the idea of people running events in the Cavern, but when it comes down to it, none of them actually want to do anything?

This isn't quite true...The issue is more of figuring what an event should be, then building around it. As Tai and myself have learned, if you then ask specific people to be involved more often than not, they pitch in to help. For example, OHB hasn't been in the cavern for months, but Jamie contacted him and asked him to drop by for a chat....sure enough, he dropped down for a short, but memorable visit.

So, as this International Hood, if I may make a bold suggestion...The hood is about different countries coming together, sharing their culture, and their time within the cavern? Why not have someone speak from each major "timezone" during the day? This would give them an opportunity to speak about the people they have met, or how how they love architecture of the cavern compared to their own town, or whatever. In the background, could be music playing from which they find important to their nationality and/or time in the cavern. On the hood's imager could be facts about the country/region they are from.

For example:
Nev'yn
EDT: (USA/Florida/Conch Republic)

Presentation: Discusses explorations before joining GoMe, and the various explorers and Messengers he now knows all over the world.

Songs on Stream:
* "Sky Full of Stars"/Two Hearts, David Arkenstone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2sbisTBRNY
* This is Home, Switchfoot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xmNCQGnT88

On Imager:
FLORIDA, MY FLORIDA - Original State Song, 1913
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Land of my birth, bright sunkissed land,
Florida, my Florida,
Laved by the Gulf and Ocean grand,
Florida, my Florida,
Of all the States in East or West,
Unto my heart thou art the best;
Here may I live, here may I rest,
Florida, my Florida.

In country, town or hills and the dells,
Florida, my Florida,
The rhythmic chimes of the school bells
Florida, my Florida
Will call thy children day by day
To learn to walk the patriot's way,
Firmly to stand for thee for aye,
Florida, my Florida.

Thy golden fruit the world outshines
Florida, my Florida,
They gardens and thy phosphate mines,
Florida, my Florida,
Yield their rich store of good supply,
To still the voice of hunger's cry,—
For thee we'll live, for thee we'll die,
Florida, my Florida.

Th' oppressors rod can't rest on thee,
Florida, my Florida,
Thy sons and daughters free must be,
Florida, my Florida.
From North and South, from East and West,
From freezing blasts they come for rest,
And find in thee their earnest quest,
Florida, my Florida.

When ills betide and woes o'ertake,
Florida, my Florida,
Thy sons and daughters quick will make,—
Florida, my Florida.
The sacrifice of loves and life
To save from woe, from ills and strife,
To fell thy foes in danger rife,
Florida, my Florida.

CONCH REPUBLIC ANTHEM
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Our dear Conch Republic
Our old historic land
May you be forever free
In this ocean, where we stand

Sparkling emeralds, pearls and diamonds
Jewels of the Caribbean Sea
Isle of hope in times so helpful
Rich in history

Our dear Conch Republic
The old historic land
May you be forever free

Our ancestors from the Old World
Voyaged to the New
From Spaniards' hope, within these islands
Say "Peace be with you"

Our Dear Conch Republic
The old historic land
May you be forever free Conch Republic

Conch Republic Info:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
"We succeeded where others failed."

The Conch Republic (also known as the República de la Concha) is a micro-nation declared by secession of the island of Key West, Florida, from the United States on April 23, 1982. It has been maintained as a tourism booster for the area ever since. Since then, the term "Conch Republic" has been expanded to refer to "all of the Florida Keys, or, that geographic apportionment of land that falls within the legally defined boundaries of southern Monroe County, Florida....with Key West as the nation's capital and all territories north of Key West being referred to as 'The Northern Territories'".

In 1982, the United States Border Patrol set up a roadblock and inspection point on US 1 just north of the merger of Monroe County Road 905A/Miami-Dade County Road 905A onto US 1 (they are the only two roads connecting the Florida Keys with the mainland), in front of the Last Chance Saloon just south of Florida City. Vehicles were stopped and searched for narcotics and illegal immigrants. The Key West City Council complained repeatedly about the inconvenience for travelers to and from Key West, claiming that it hurt the Keys' important tourism industry. Eastern Air Lines, which had a hub at Miami International Airport, saw a window of opportunity when the roadblocks were established; Eastern was at the time the only airline to establish jet service to Key West International Airport, counting on travelers from Key West to Miami preferring to fly rather than to wait for police to search their vehicles.

When the City Council's complaints went unanswered by the U.S. federal government and attempts to get an injunction against the roadblock failed in court, as a form of protest Mayor Dennis Wardlow and the Council declared Key West's independence on April 23, 1982. In the eyes of the Council, since the U.S. federal government had set up the equivalent of a border station as if they were a foreign nation, they might as well become one. As many of the local citizens were referred to as Conchs, the nation took the name of the Conch Republic.

As part of the protest, Mayor Wardlow was proclaimed Prime Minister of the Republic, which immediately declared war against the U.S. (symbolically breaking a loaf of stale Cuban bread over the head of a man dressed in a naval uniform), quickly surrendered after one minute (to the man in the uniform), and applied for one billion dollars in foreign aid.

This faux secession and the events surrounding it generated great publicity for the Keys' plight — the roadblock and inspection station were quickly removed soon afterward. It also resulted in the creation of a new avenue of tourism for the Keys.

Now, I know this idea would need some leg-work, but I'm sorry to say, that's what a good event often requires. Anys, just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:32 pm 

It's a good idea, but it still falls back on the fact I need people to speak, and it seems that not many people want to be a speaker. So I feel like I need an idea that doesn't involve people speaking, but that can bring the different cultures together. So at this point, I'm lost for ideas, because I thought it would be interesting to hear/read what other cultures are like, but people are shy, and I don't blame them for that (I'm not fond of public speaking myself), and since we have such a small community compared to what MOULa used to be, it's hard finding someone in the mix that would be willing to speak.

I hope that wasn't too confusing...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:59 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Nev'yn has a point - while I think KathAveara's comment is also true, the problem may be not having a network of contacts that you think would be good presenters and a clear notion of what you expect them to do. It's a lot harder to get people to volunteer for things, especially without a brief, than it is get someone to agree to do something fairly specific.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

From my point of view, there are two sides to this community - the people who want to do things for the community, and the people who want things to be done but aren't much keen to get in and help. Sadly, the second side is much larger than the first, and it reflects on events like this, that need a large number of people to pull together.

tumblr: kaththedragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
With all these negative thoughts being posted, how can you expect anyone to be interested, now?

If you believe in an idea, then just run with it - even if it seems you're running all alone. Lead by example: hold your event and if just one person shows up, give them your full attention. Sometimes, things just need to get going before others join in.

Trust me, once you start something, people will come out of the woodwork to tell you how they think you can do it better. ;)

Your greatest challenge is simply having patience and maintaining your enthusiasm until you see results.