It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:05 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:55 pm 

I know that quite a few of you out there have a lot of questions about Uru Live and how things are going, so I want to take the time to help answer some of the common questions that everyone is wondering about. I will make some FAQs based on these questions. But first, I would like to discuss them with you.

How do I know if a bug has been written up? We appreciate your desire to be efficient, but from our perspective this is not a question that should be of concern. You may be thinking, "Why should I bother writing up this bug if someone else has already written it up?” Well, there are a number of good reasons. First, it helps us gauge the severity of a bug through the number of tickets we receive about that bug. Secondly, a ticket submitted by someone who has already written up the bug may not contain all the information needed to help us track the issue down. Additionally, redundancy could help us narrow our search for very elusive bugs.

Having said that, there are times when we will ask you to overlook certain issues. This is why we have the “Known Issues” section of the release notes for each update. Those are the bugs that we feel we have received enough information about to generate a fix for. Don’t get discouraged if you get the “known issue” response from our support team. We really do appreciate every single bug you submit and you'll never know which one could really save the day.

Those reasons above are also some of the reasons why we dont answer bug reports listed on forums. But, we dont discourage you all from talking about it either. You may find a common thread among the more important issues, and start the cogs turning on strategies to track down that issue, or even think of new bugs that could be associated with it. If you take the bugs listed on forums in this context, you may find that it could be a great source to work off of.

Should I test on Vista/Media center? Sure! I know we list this is as not supported. That’s because we haven’t gone through compatibility checks on those OSs. We would like to know how the game stands on every OS and it’s very helpful for us to know how much work it might take to make the game compatible with new OSs. But if you do submit an OS-related bug, please be certain that it IS related to your OS. To do that, you'll need to make sure it doesn't happen when playing with the supported OSs. So, keep in mind that testing on unsupported OSs could be a real beast if you're not prepared to go the extra mile it takes to make sure it is the OS causing the issue. Additionally, you may not even see the fruits of your efforts for a long time if we delay support for those operating systems.

Can I install Uru Live on more than one system? This is a tricky question. The bottom line is, you really shouldn't install Uru Live on any systems except your own. Why not? Because you are putting yourself at risk for breaking your NDA. If you install the beta on someone else’s machine, then you risk them accidentally logging into the game with your saved account name and password. There are so many accidental scenarios that I just have to say "Why risk it?" In fact, for myself, I have been in this business for over 11 years and I still don’t risk putting a beta game on anyone's system but my own. The risk versus the benefit just isn’t worth having to deal with any legal issues that may come up. So, if you have more than one personal machine that you alone are using, then go ahead. Otherwise, please stick to one system.

How long does it take to get an answer back to my ticket? Phew.. Tough question. A lot goes on in the background here that can keep us from getting back to you right away. The ticket process requires that tickets go through a few steps before they get to production. After submittal, we have to review the bug for accuracy. Then, we need to look for logs or screenshots that are needed. Then, we may try to reproduce the bug here to narrow the bug down or to get additional information for the ticket. And finally, we submit a bug report to production. If any of those steps are not accurate, then the process is slowed down. You can also see that probably the biggest time hog would be the reproduction of the bug here locally. But this is very helpful to our team to see this happen here to get the best fix possible back to you, our fans. Needless to say, it may take a little bit before we answer, but the tickets definitely won't get ignored.

Why is this game so buggy? Original Uru and Until Uru weren't this buggy. Chogon made a great comment on this issue in a recent forum post:

“The major changes that others have noted (physics, servers, networking, age loading, sound - which are enough changes to turn any project on it's ear) have made things a struggle. Most of the gameplay is intact, it just might not look like it at times because one of the core features has bugs (like physics!). But as the core engine bugs get fixed, game-wide things should start working better.
“Another source of problems was finding and picking what pieces of Uru to start with.
The dataset was the hardest to find. The closest we could get (after searching through many tapes) was something that was after the last update for Uru Online but before it was fully tested in QA, sorta caught in mid-stride. After converting to Max7, it was mostly intact.
“The code was easier to find, but where to start? We knew there were bug fixes after Uru Online, and we hate to lose those. So, we started with the Complete Chronicles codebase, which was a good choice but, as we found out just last week, some of the journal book changes made for Uru:CC killed part of the KI (CC only had a limited KI, so it didn't care)”

Should I retest a bug I previously submitted on a new update? Oh please do! There is going to be a time when we update to a new version and you will still have tickets related to the prior version that are still open. It would be very helpful if you were to put an additional comment in your open ticket if you saw the bug again during your testing of the current version (version #). Of course, add additional log files and screenshots if needed. Or, if you find that the bug no longer occurs in the current version, it would be just as helpful to note that on your open ticket.

Thanks for helping us out!

Lbell

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]