It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:47 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:56 pm 

Collecting the summary of whats happening with the Closed beta Live 1 update.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone.

I just want to get an update out to you all about the problems your seeing on beta right now. Looks like most of the issues ( login fails / disconnects/ timeouts / character duplications ) are related to a concurrency/performance issue between our servers and the oracle database. I know it seems really frustrating to not be able to play right now after waiting for so long but the information we have been collecting has been extremely valuable to us.

The techs are still working to solve this issue. We also want to let you know that we may have to do another vault wipe or two to iron out these issues. So dont panic if your character wind up not showing up.

Again, Sorry for the inconvenience. Server upgrades and and migrations are not always easy but we have gotten great feedback and information from you all. Thanks for being so patient with this process.

Lbell

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings everyone,

Thank you all for continuing to hit the servers for so long; that was extremely valuable as it brought out a few performance issues (you may have noticed). I've been hacking away at those bottlenecks and managed to iron out a few of them, but unfortunately the most cripling one is not directly within my control. It's a database configuration issue, which is controlled by the DBAs over at AOL. I've put in an urgent change request. Let's hope they work nights and weekends!

-eap

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still waiting on a more current update from our tech side about whats going on with the DB. But from talking with EAP it sounds like hes narrowed the problem down even further, just need the guys who are physically there at the DB servers to help us in fixing this. I should be able to get more answers withing the next couple of hours. So If you all need to eat or rest (lol) This would be a great time to do it. I'll keep you guys in the loop as soon as I hear something.

OH and I loved that statement about communications from something named "oracle" being unclear hehe that was toooo funny.

Lbell

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update. Last night I contacted our AOL techs and they put me in touch with the on-call DBA who was very helpful and made some adjustments on their end that greatly increased our concurrency with the database. This did help, but we still have a few issues on our side to deal with before we can really take advantage of that new concurrency. I hope to have an updated server up in a few hours. Thanks for your patience, and your persistence! Wink

-eap

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is several of us still here.

eap is still working on the Db server. It seems like we are making progress... at least you can log in now... just can't activate a player.

I asked him if he wanted people to stop hitting the servers and he said no, they are providing good debug info.

I know that it is getting pretty late in different places in the world, but if y'all still have a few hours in you, we still do.

Thanks,
Chogon

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that even though it may not be visible from the outside, we've made some great improvements behind the scenes. Today, we ironed out many performance and stablilty issues. Tomorrow, I expect to isolate the essential bottleneck preventing testers from being able to select or create players, and hopefully get 'er fixed too. We're working as hard as we can to get you all back in the game, but now it's time to recharge so that we can start fresh in the morning.

Thanks again everyone for all your continuing attempts to get into Uru. It is very valuable to have that stress on our servers as we troubleshoot this.

- eap

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good news ... and not so good news.

I just push a new update for the UruLauncher and the client.
The UruLauncher should be a lot faster when there is nothing to update. And the client's login screen is a lot more friendly such as being movable and being able to cancel when its trying to log in.

The not so good news is these changes don't help you get in at the moment. We are still working on trying to get everyone into the game. I don't have a time estimate yet, hopefully soon. Y'all can still pound on it, if you have the time.

Thanks for everyone's unconditional support. It means a lot!
Chogon

More good news... and not so good news.

eap has got a handle on the problem and is working on the fix.

The not so good news, it looks like it won't be ready until tomorrow night.
So, until then we are restricting the logins... Sorry, you'll have to wait until tomorrow night to begin pounding again.

Again, thanks for all the pounding so far. Our heads haven't been the same since :D

Chogon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, here is the update for 11/21/06:

We are most the way there to solving the server problems experienced over the last several days. However, we need to further tune to get better throughput to the database. Otherwise, things may just stop at the next concurrency threshold.

So, with that in mind, we are not ready to open up the servers yet. But tomorrow is looking good. We really want to get you guys in for the Thanksgiving weekend!

Thanks (rocks are hard!)
Chogon

As most of probably already know, we have re-opened the flood gates.
However, we have found pretty quickly that there is still some bottlenecks, mostly around the avatar creation.
So, instead of just taking down the servers again, we are going to put a cap on the number of log ins to start with. Then we will slowly increase that number as we debug and make fixes.

Now, where's that burgundy?

Chogon

Ok, we've tweaked the servers a bit and are ready to start letting folks back in, still in a limited capacity. We're still working out a few database-related performance issues, I apologize for the inconvenience! If its any consolation, being able to adjust the concurrency up and down has allowed us to more quickly identify exactly where the next bottleneck is in our system... so being locked out is a good thing... Smile.

We're working hard to get you all in there at the same time, and we appreciate your patience and persistence.

-eap

Ok, we are ramping up the number of logins, so if you are out there try logging in.

Thanks,
Chogon

We are going to bounce the database... hold tight, should take about 5 minutes.

Chogon

Greetings everyone,

We updated some backend servers with some significant optimizations. I'm sorry if you were kicked off in the process. We try to make these updates as invisible as possible, but sometimes interrupting gameplay is unavoidable. Anyway, these changes do much to alleviate the strain our database has been under. If you ever want to develop MMO game servers for a living, always remember this: databases are slow, caching is the key.

Oh, and we fixed the neighbor and buddy lists too :)

eap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:05 pm 

added latest message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:23 am 
Site Admin

add message

Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:50 am 

add message

-eap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

added message

Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:38 am 
Site Admin

added message

Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:32 am 
Site Admin

added message

Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:13 am 
Site Admin

add message

Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:04 pm 

added message

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

added message

Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

added message about rebooting the database, up in 5 minutes.

Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

Rebooting of the database complete, you can jump in now.

Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:28 am 

added message about updating backend servers w/ significant optimizations.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]