It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:21 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:06 am 

First of all, on behalf of the QC/Customer support staff, I'd like to commend all of you on the superior job you've been doing so far. We're buried in work - and that's a good thing. We do have a few requests of you that will help reduce our ticket turnaround times and generally increase the effectiveness of our team.

The first request is that when submitting a ticket, you should provide logs as well - *with a few exceptions noted below. Our internal database likes zip files, and is set up to get along nicely with them. That is the format that we will use when we give the logs from your tickets to the Tech team. Zip files are always preferable, but we can certainly convert rar files for you if it's necessary to get the file size below 6 MB for the upload. Because the log folder can get quite large (and because the file upload size is limited to 6MB), it may benefit you to follow these steps to minimize the size of your upload:

- Relocate your log folder from your game directory, but don't delete it unless you're sure you can reproduce the bug consistently.
- Start a new session (a new log folder will be generated)
- Reproduce the bug
- If you reproduce the bug, zip up your log folder and attach it to the ticket you've been requested to provide the logs for. At that point, with the bug captured in your logs, you no longer need the original log folder.
- If you can't get the bug to happen again, use the original set of logs you 'relocated'.

The second request we have for you is to please include screenshots if your bug occurs in an obscure, out of the way, or generally hard-to-describe location. A picture is worth a thousand words (I know this from personal experience - I've used a thousand words before when a screenshot would've done a better job 8) )

The only thing we think is better than a really cool, important and earth-shattering bug that you've found is a really cool, important and earth-shattering bug report with logs and screenshots attached. That way we can pass it on to get fixed for you, rather than letting your cool bug sit on the bench waiting for what it needs.

Lastly, we'd like to remind you not to get discouraged if many of your ticket submissions come back to you as 'Known Issues'. We like redundancy. It ensures more complete coverage. As my Grandfather used to say back in the days of old, while I was sitting on his lap sipping lemonade: "Better a bug logged into the MySql database twice than not at all, sonny boy."

Thanks for your time, and keep up the good work!

*Generally speaking, you should always provide logs with your tickets that you report. This is very important. There are a few exceptions, however. Usually texture related issues won't need logs. Same goes for collision problems or weird camera behavior. Usually screenshots will suffice in those cases. Feature requests will not need logs, obviously. One good rule of thumb to remember, though is that if you're not sure if logs are needed or not, go ahead and include them anyway.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]