It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:58 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

Teknobubba wrote:
OHB wrote:
pokemon71096 wrote:
Hey i just checked the Hood (which was empty) and then the House (which was not.) (These will be their new nicknames :lol:)
Why does the Hood only have the Nexus Book?

It's the opposite of the Fun House. The fun house is bright and lively. The Hood of Illusions is not. Think of the Hood of Illusions as more of a blank canvas onto which future events will paint.

"Bright and lively?" I was in last night to check it out and there was the typical avies standing around engaged in private chat. Not lively. I did see the video cam. Fun to see something unexpected there...but lively? I could see everything that was there (except the camera) anywhere in the cavern. People standing around. Wow. What fun. Make Shroomie wander through the hood and interact, then it'll be lively.

When did you go? =P

The fun house is not manned 24/7 by Grey Hats, and most of the hax only happen when a grey hat shows up, and only last for the people who are there at the time. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

kaelis is correct. We cannot make 210 copies of ourselves (unlike our good friend Eddie) and be in the hood 24/7 to cater to your every whim. While on the subject of every whim, some request given over KI chat might be difficult or time consuming, or the GHs might be pouring over code and miss requests entirely. Don't think we're completely ignoring you the whole time--it just gets a little bit hectic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

I thought the Illusions hood was for special events, and the Fun House was open and whacky all the time. I waltzed in to see whacky. I got zombie avatars and people stuck to the walls one story up. I still love the work that went into the camera and laptop by the fountain, though.

I'm looking for a reason to put down my Kindle and stop playing Civ 5 on my computer and spend more time in cavern. So far, not tempted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Teknobubba wrote:
I still love the work that went into the camera and laptop by the fountain, though.

Yeah, Cyan did a pretty good job on it. :wink: Like the grey hats said, they can only use what is already there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:58 pm 

Teknobubba wrote:
I thought the Illusions hood was for special events, and the Fun House was open and whacky all the time. I waltzed in to see whacky. I got zombie avatars and people stuck to the walls one story up. I still love the work that went into the camera and laptop by the fountain, though.

I'm looking for a reason to put down my Kindle and stop playing Civ 5 on my computer and spend more time in cavern. So far, not tempted.

I may be the one mistaken, but I think either my understanding is incorrect or yours is. My understanding is that the Hood of Illusions is for scheduled events, and the Fun House is for un-scheduled events. In other words, it's not "wacky" all the time but any time you pop in, there's a chance something wacky will happen.

So, if you want to be certain of seeing wackiness, wait until an event is scheduled in the Hood of Illusions, then make sure to be there at that time. If you're just bored while playing Uru, pop into the Fun House some time and something might happen, or not.

The above is, of course, just my own understanding of the way it's supposed to work. I'm not Cyan and I'm not a Gray Hat, so don't take what I say as definite fact. /shrug

MOULa KI#237576

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:15 pm 

You've got it right, Carl.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm corrected, then. Sounds like a plan.

Meantime, should anyone need voice work for any "event" in either of the hoods or their instances, let me know. Character voices, whatever. For example, the Shroomie hits the hood scenario I mentioned above...what if Shroomie gave a lecture? Would anybody show up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nomen Luni wrote:
Malfhok wrote:
I haven't been to either yet, though my brother tells me that neither of these two Hoods contains the word Bevin. Did the Grey Hats do that or was that Cyan? Just wondering…

I think it was RAWA. Bevin was always the incorrect word for the neighbourhoods anyway (there is only one Bevin) and hopefully it will be changed one day.

RAWA came up with the names...and neither of them contain [or would make sense with] the word "Bevin". So, when I made the hoods, I took the word Bevin out.

tanshin wrote:
Now there's an idea! I still want some Jalak Blocs in there :P

I like that idea too! We'll work on it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:32 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

OHB wrote:
...when I made the hoods, I took the word Bevin out.

Now that's about the coolest thing EVER.

Please inform vid. He deserves all the credit and happiness for making the Bevin Objection happen. ;) There's an explorer who has had a profound involvement and effect in the game without any special help.

<applause>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

OHB wrote:
RAWA came up with the names...and neither of them contain [or would make sense with] the word "Bevin". So, when I made the hoods, I took the word Bevin out.

I suppose that has to be done for each Hood individually, huh? So no hope of a Cavern-wide switchover anytime soon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Please inform vid. He deserves all the credit and happiness for making the Bevin Objection happen. ;)

That is /so/ true.

Malfhok wrote:
I suppose that has to be done for each Hood individually, huh? So no hope of a Cavern-wide switchover anytime soon?

There's a two-fold issue here. One is the names of existing hoods. The other is the names of newly created hoods. The client creates new hoods with the word Bevin in one of the fields on the AgeInfo node in the Vault. Changing that requires an updated client.

However [COMPLETELY UNRELATED TO THE GREY HATS AT THIS TIME] we've discussed a way to change all of the "Bevin"s to "Hood"s cavern-wide and and patch new hoods shortly after they're created. However, while the way of doing this is basically guaranteed to work without issue, we can't do it without Cyan's blessing...something I'm not sure I'd give if I was in their position.

All comes back to the "Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it will be done" principle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
OHB wrote:
...when I made the hoods, I took the word Bevin out.

OK, if you ask me, THAT'S a good project for you and your team, OHB!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:28 am 

Wow. The Until Uru adminKI is sanctioned here now. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:17 am 
Obduction Backer

cjkelly1 wrote:

Well we don't use the adminKI, per se, but many of the same principles apply.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:25 am 
Obduction Backer

cjkelly1 wrote:

I am definitely having UU flashbacks lol.

~Weldergeek

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next