It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Post by Dr. Watson
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

It seems we are allowed to talk about it now, but feel free to lock this if not.

Dr. Watson has posted a response to hacks that happened in the cavern a few weeks ago. Two new neighborhoods will be set up for performing "illusions".

EDIT: Almost missed it, but it seems RAWA has posted about it here as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes feel free to talk about this in this new forum: The Hood of Illusions :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks! I found this after I posted, but then I lost connection to the site for a bit so I could not delete it. :) Since there are other threads (and a whole forum section now) about the hood, I guess we can just use this thread to discuss the IC post by Dr. Watson.

I for one am glad that the post was made and established that they are illusions because (at least for now) the bahro story and canon is still Cyan's and they I think they still hold out hope to someday continue the story they set out to tell.

One thing I have noticed is that the "Bahro" are still flying around the arch in public Ae'gura though. I assume that Cyan has just not fixed the SDL state (the illusions are a bit tricky to shut down). Hopefully, they will be taken down soon. Let's have them set up in the Fun House Aegura instance instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

as much as i enjoy the company of those batty buggars they are loud!! lol

but this is FANTASTIC news!! My Best goes to Cyan and our resident over eager hackers/crackers and coder extrodaniares!! this is an Excellent decision and one I certainly hope works well! :)

best news i've had in ages (no pun) and it's certainly made my day!! Kudo's! Woot!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

The "Bahro Illusion" will be gone hopefully today. They were /supposed/ to be gone a while ago and they were kinda forgotten about. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:29 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Main_Avvie wrote:
My Best goes to Cyan and our resident over eager hackers/crackers and coder extrodaniares!!

RAWA differentiated hackers from crackers, which I find a very positive move back toward what the word "hacker" really meant before the media turned it sour a couple decades ago. "Crackers," on the other hand, are the black hats, the bad boys, the script kiddies, and are "socially rude, crude and unacceptable" [quote from an old friend].

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

OHB wrote:
The "Bahro Illusion" will be gone hopefully today. They were /supposed/ to be gone a while ago and they were kinda forgotten about. :)

Or (IC) the Bahro just refuse to leave? ;)

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:20 pm 

I think that from what Dr. Watson said on the DRC forum, the Bahro never were real to begin with. They were just an illusion created, along with the color effects and the levitation, by some very skilled magicians.

Really, it isn't any more unbelievable than the illusions created by some of our surface illusionists. It's the old "make animals appear" and "make people levitate" tricks, with some pyrotechnics thrown in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:33 pm 

ghaelen wrote:
OHB wrote:

Or (IC) the Bahro just refuse to leave? ;)

The bahro are gone now. Thanks go out to a very grumpy hacker for taking care of that.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:43 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

PaladinOfKaos wrote:
...grumpy hacker...

So we just need six more after Grumpy. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:07 am 
Obduction Backer

The way I feel today, I could very well be Sneezy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:43 am 

I'll be Sleepy. It comes from staying up late playing Uru, I suppose...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:55 am 
Obduction Backer

...Grumpy? My guess is this isn't OHB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:17 am 

I just want to point out that this could be seen as evidence that players do, indeed, influence story. Here's what I mean:

When the Birthday Hacks (that's what I'm calling them since they happened on Rand's birthday) happened, I and many other explorers decided to respond to them IC. We knew (well, most of us knew) that it was really a hack, but it was fun to play with it the way we used to play with the MOUL story. We pretended that the Bahro around the Arch were possibly the hostile Bahro--or, alternatively, the friendly Bahro trying to warn us of the hostile Bahro's imminent return. I even went around "looking for Dr. Watson" (although I knew he wouldn't show up), asking other explorers if they had seen him and asking them to tell him I was looking for him, if they saw him. "This needs to be brought to his attention," I'd say, or "I want to discuss these events with him, in case the hostile Bahro are returning. Maybe he can help give us some direction." Stuff like that.

Now, when Cyan finally responds to the birthday hack, how do they do it? With a post from Dr Watson on drcsite, telling us not to worry because the hostile Bahro have not returned--addressing the very concern we were pretending to have, through the very character I was pretending to look for.

No, I'm not taking credit for the fact that we got a Watson post. In fact, my guess is that there were several other explorers who went "looking" for him, either because they saw me or someone else doing it, or because they came to the same conclusion that this would be a fun way to play with the story. As a result of lots of talk amongst explorers about (a) the hostile Bahro returning and (b) seeking out Watson to discuss the matter, we got this drcsite post.

So, to those who think that Cyan ignores fan input and that players can't affect the story--here's some evidence to the contrary :D

MOULa KI#237576

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:52 am 
Obduction Backer

Great post, Mr. Palmer. I'd been doing something similar, but it hadn't crossed my mind to take it to RAWA.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]