It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:27 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm really glad that Cyan has come through on letting people express their creativity through the HoI and FH bevins. It goes to show you that they really are willing to put some trust into the player community, a trust which will hopefully continue into open source. It also shows that they're willing to put some guidelines in as a framework for that creativity, which I think will also be needed when open source arrives.

But as for the current situation with HoI and FH, we should enjoy these as much as we can between now and whenever open source happens. I say this because one of the first things the community should focus on, when open source happens, is finding and closing the exploits which make these hacks possible (assuming that the server code is also open-sourced). Open source will (hopefully) mean a larger, more active player base, which means more black hats, which means more inconvenient hacks.

On the other hand, one solution might be to keep the exploits in place, but cover them over with sanity checks that can be disabled for individual bevins, ages, instances, etc., at the owner's/creator's request, to let people have this kind of fun. Might be tricky to implement, though.

Guess I'll stop there before we get too far into the details, since that would be kind of off-topic for this forum (and if my whole post isn't really appropriate for this forum, I heartily thank and encourage a mod to put it somewhere better), but I am interested in hearing what other people have to say about how these hacks should be handled once some time (such as from the players) can be devoted to updating the software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:50 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Dachannien wrote:
bevins

Security is hard and often an endless chase of wasted cycles as the good guys try to stay one step ahead of the bad guys. Instead, top priority will be fixing the "Bevin" problem, I'm sure. It is noteworthy that RAWA used the word 'hood' fourteen times in his announcement, including the title, while using 'bevin' not at all. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

THE HOOD OF ILLUSIONS' BEVIN :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Hood of Illusions Neighborhood's Bevin's Seret's Kirel
But i don't think these hoods should disappear wih OSMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:15 am 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
Dachannien wrote:
bevins

Security is hard and often an endless chase of wasted cycles as the good guys try to stay one step ahead of the bad guys. Instead, top priority will be fixing the "Bevin" problem, I'm sure. It is noteworthy that RAWA used the word 'hood' fourteen times in his announcement, including the title, while using 'bevin' not at all. :P

Sorry, force of habit ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]