It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 1:29 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

OHB wrote:
@Tanshin: Getting a web-cam on an imager is /possible/ but the requirements for doing so to get it to work in the client are...annoyingly large. Don't expect to see this anytime soon.

Actually, it was a topic of discussion on Mumble earlier today... but I had to leave for an appointment so we could not complete it. It may not be too far away.

And actually, that pint of invisible avatars does bring up a point I had. Could we make that cam avatar invisible and not shown in the KI? It would definitely save from some of the hassle of when people decided to PM the avatar and ask it questions :P

/me wonders if it would be possible to broadcast a video on the web instead of pictures...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Marein wrote:
pokemon71096 wrote:
Tanshin and OHB, how about moving the camera to the balcony, better view? Does the physical camera have to be moved?

A better view of the hood, but not of the people :) I think it would be most fun if people could actually go in front of the camera and do whatever they wish. If the cam would be on the balcony, I think you could as well have a static image, as people look tiny from there.

Also, I think the 'virtual camera' in the old days might just have been an invisible avatar that has its screen captured, like tanshin did.

oDD YOU SAY THAT, MY AVATAR IS standing in front of it right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

this would prob be difficult, but what about rigging remote control of the cam from the webpage for each user (that way each user would have their own control of it) dynamic cam rigging in virtual environments is hard, though...

cinamentography itself is difficult outside of an interactive environment...

or perhaps setting up multiple cams in the hood that users can switch between on the site to access various angles and forgo dynamic control?

that would relieve the issue of placing the cam in *just* the right spot... to let users pick an angle for whatever is best at what they're trying to see...

... just a thought? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Out of curiosity, where/how is the virtual camera view rendered?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:43 am 
Obduction Backer

When I was playing around with this myself, I put the avatar in front of the camera facing the same direction as the camera. If that avatar was to be made invisible, it would essentially appear as if the camera was making the picture (unless you're smart and know the subtle difference in zoom between those few inches).

I myself am not sure of whether it's possible to have the camera itself rendering content. If it is then that's awesome... if not then we know of a possible workaround.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:58 am 

I had an idea today and OHB suggested I post it here. I haven't read a single post in this thread yet so my apologies if I am duplicating anyone else's suggestion.

I was thinking it would be fun to do a Heritage Night in the Hood of Illusions sometime, and make use of the special effects there to boost the storytelling--i.e. having bahro show up and act out parts of the story that they were in, or DRC members coming in to repeat past performances. (For those who don't know, Heritage Night is a weekly event where we retell the story of Gametap MO:UL piece by piece).

I don't know what others think of this idea, but if the Gray Hats are interested in helping out, and if this is something that appeals to other Illusions/Funhouse fans, I could bring it up at the next Heritage Night and see if people are interested in the idea.

MOULa KI#237576

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:08 am 
Obduction Backer

That sounds like a great idea to me, Carl!

I'm all for using these "illusions" for storytelling purposes, so long as it's done responsibly. Knowing the group that's running the 'hoods right now, I think that's a safe assumption.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:22 am 
Obduction Backer

Ooh, that is intriguing! I'm a little iffy on the impersonating of DRC but I think I'd be more generally accepting of it if they didn't really talk (or if they made up a great thing about how they found a Sharper costume or something ;) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:49 am 
Obduction Backer

tanshin wrote:
Ooh, that is intriguing! I'm a little iffy on the impersonating of DRC but I think I'd be more generally accepting of it if they didn't really talk (or if they made up a great thing about how they found a Sharper costume or something ;) )

As am I. Kinda. Then again there are Bahro running around the TFH...if it's for historical reenactment I see no issue. For anything else it needs to be extremely clear that just hacks and not real.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:01 am 
Obduction Backer

There might be a simple way to do that, which would truly embrace the idea that actors are present for a staging of an historical event. I'm not real clear on how DRC avatars are "worn" by non-DRC players, but one could make those players have names such as Actor_Dr. Watson and Actor_Michael Engberg. One would also require the actors not to speak anything but their lines (stay in character) during the performance, and either leave immediately thereafter or do what all actors do when they talk about their performances, and that is speak of their role in the third person.

This is actually a pretty cool idea. Thumbs up if you can pull it off.

P.S. Forgot to add - you would, of course, have to face the incredibly high standards established by Marten and his Great Tree Productions covering the Prologue.

Last edited by Zardoz on Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:06 am 
Obduction Backer

You could go Hamlet style and say Player King and Player Queen, or in this case Player Phil and Player Sharper.

... And no, I totally didn't just finish reading Act III... :oops:

And of course, if the actors circulate amongst the fans after a "show" it'd be just like a real production.

/me gets in line for an autograph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:57 am 
Obduction Backer

Marein wrote:
* In my original idea the play would be held in Jalak, using the columns to build locations with the surrounding platforms housing the audience.

Found a perfect example with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4mlbKYyGNg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:39 am 

I think some Quabs from Ahnonay would be interesting, Im sure they would be happy to hang around down by the pond.

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Karkadann wrote:
I think some Quabs from Ahnonay would be interesting, Im sure they would be happy to hang around down by the pond.
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:13 am 

Ok, I'll chat with Calum about the idea of an illusions-supported Heritage Night, and run it by our usual crowd this next Tuesday. Probably won't be any time really soon. I still have to figure out exactly what I would want to do there--i.e. cover one episode, cover a specific event, somehow do a summary of the entire Restoration or something else altogether.

As for DRC members and costumes...yeah we'd be certain to make it clear that this is all fake.

Zardoz, regarding Prologue--well, so far we've never really touched Prologue events during Heritage Night, other than as part of a brief background summary on the first night of the cycle. The reason for that is simple--Calum and I were the only hosts at first, and neither of us was in Prologue. Maybe I can persuade you to volunteer as host some night and tell us all about it, though? I agree that Marten's video reenactments are fantastic.

MOULa KI#237576

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next