It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:24 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Avatar Hijacking
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:22 pm 

Ok, if I'm in the Fun House, I accept that certain things are going to happen. There will be moments when my avatar may do unusual things. And up until now, these have been funny and entertaining to see.

But, I do not accept someone taking control of my avatar, and moving it about, removing control of it from me.

As such, I shall be boycotting the Fun House and Hood of Illusions. You no longer have my appreciation or support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

if it were me, i would ask before taking control of an explorers avatar. these are the sorts of things that still need to be worked out, it seems. under what conditions can certain things be done? it might not necessarily be fun for the person who's avatar it is. rly, no one has to support or appreciate the funhouse or illusions hoods and what goes on there if they don't want to. making your case to the so called grey hats can help them better handle such issues in the future. but it's a shame this has seemed to spoil your fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:44 pm 

ok, in my immeadiate anger (which has now cooled down a bit), I used the word "boycotting". That is a strong word to use. Instead I'd like to re-phrase it as "I shall stay away from the fun house and hood of illusions until I have discussed the matter with those concerned". It's just quicker to type "boycotting".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree, in all honesty. I like TFH, and i even begged "Can you please make me swim again?" But before they make us ALL swim, they should at least post a warning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

I believe "avatar hijacking" is acceptable under the TFH "terms of service":

OHB, in this post, wrote:
What will I experience?
In short, anything! Especially in The Fun House. There are some things we like to do often, like paging in Kerath's Arch, having Bahro visit, and creating exploding Eddies. One moment it might start raining, you might start flying or find yourself underwater. Have a look through the threads to see some pictures and videos of what happens.

If not, the Grey Hoofers might want to clarify the "rules."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

there should be some "heads up" or "mother may i" considerations. another thing, i met quite a few new explorers there the other day who linked in because the place was so packed looking for help. obviously their first question was "what is going on in here?" to which i had to explain to them "this is not part of the larger experience" also, if a newcommer is drawn to the crowds there, the effects they experience there won't wear off until they log off and that can put a real damper on an initial visit. newcommers aren't necessarily going to peruse our forums so that they'd know what to expect in there and how to deal with it. also, returning attendees might be taken aback by certain illusions. when linking into the funhouse or illusions hood, people need to know what that means no matter who they are and the coders need to know what effects can be applied where (or to whom). if there were some way to nail the funhouse tos at the figurative door, so to speak, that would seem ideal.

Last edited by Main_Avvie on Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:34 pm 

This isn't something any of the core group of Grey Hats would have done. But there have been other random folks doing things in TFH, and that's fine - we don't have any authority to require everyone who does illusions in TFH to join our group.

I can say that we (the Grey Hats) find such behavior to be unacceptable. I'll do what I can to find out who did it so we can explain our general etiquette guidelines.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:05 pm 

Thank you PaladinOfKaos please PM if you wish to discuss it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

AlienND, please define "moving about" your avatar. Your initial post is somewhat ambiguous. Are you talking about mass group dancing, skydiving, or something else entirely? I seem to remember Yootay saying that he paged in the cleft on time. Were you perhaps there at the time and warped to the windmill and made to turn it? The reason I'm asking all of these questions is that there are known bugs with things like the windmill in a multiplayer environment that could cause "avatar hijacking." It could be that what has infuriated you so much is just a bug.

Post subject: Re: Avatar Hijacking
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:19 pm 

Comment retracted

Last edited by Alien on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

What was ambiguous about is was that we do a lot of different avatar controlling in TFH, so I had no idea what you were complaining about. Programmers (like the Grey Hats) need details to understand the problem. Stuff like "it doesn't work" or "my avatar was hijacked" is pretty vague to us when there are more than 10 ways it could happen.

The windmill is a known issue. If there are multiple people in the cleft (or in this case, The Fun House with the cleft added in) and someone uses the windmill, everyone will use the windmill. Why? Instead of animating only the avatar who clicked on the windmill (which is what happens in most cases), the windmill will simply animate everyone because the cleft was designed to be single player, so Cyan could get away with being lazy here. Also note that the break on the grinder in the imager room will do this as well.

In other words, the only way we could prevent this is to not bring the cleft in at all. It's not something that we did. If you have to blame someone, blame Cyan or whoever decided to use the stupid windmill ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:30 pm 

Comment retracted

Last edited by Alien on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:35 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Enough.

Personal snipes are not going to be tolerated. Keep this kind of "debate" up and the thread will be locked.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

AlienND wrote:
If you knew what you were talking about (which you may do, but I doubt it), you'd know it is not possible to use the windmill in the Fun House cleft. The brake is on and it is not possible to release it.

Like I said, I don't trust you.

Oh and that's 3 mistakes you've meade now since you first post in this thread, just so you know.

So, you're accusing someone who has been reverse engineering this game for 6 years that he does not know what he is talking about, then you're on your own. Also, I appreciate how much you have attacked someone who has tried to help you. Didn't your mother teach you manners?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:44 pm 

I have not accused you or anyone of anything.

Please do not put words in my mouth.

I do not know who to trust and therefore I am not trusting anyone, hence why I am staying away from the Fun House and Hood of Illusions. If and when the real culprit is discovered, I will apologise to you.

Until then, as I said, I do not know who to trust.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next