It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:43 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:42 am 

So, we chatted briefly about this in the "Creative Uses" thread and this idea was run today by the Heritage Night attendees, and it looks like everyone is in favor of it so I thought I would start a thread for it and open the floor for discussion and ideas.

Basically, we're going to combine two successful fan enterprises--Heritage Night and the Gray Hats' illusions. Normally what we do during Heritage Night (for those who don't know) is tell the story of Gametap MO:UL for the benefit of those who couldn't be there (as well as for those who were but like the nostalgia of reliving it). We were thinking it would be fun to have a special Heritage Night event in the Hood of Illusions, and use the Gray Hats' tricks to provide "special effects" for the event. Among other things, we'd like to have official characters like the DRC, Yeesha and the Bahro make appearances (IC-ly, we're saying these are actors with very realistic costumes.)

The exact nature of the event is still open for input. I have some ideas but I'd really like to hear others' suggestions. I'll update the next little section of this post once we decide on what we're doing--at that time we can figure out how much time is needed for preparation and schedule an official date and time. It will probably not be until AFTER the current cycle of Heritage Nights ends (so, 3 weeks from today at the earliest).

EVENT DETAILS: To Be Determined
EVENT DATE & TIME: To Be Determined

Meanwhile, I'll go ahead and tell you the best idea I've come up with. Normally we only cover a segment of the story in a single Heritage Night (HN)--one night for pre-episode MO:UL, and one night for each of the 5 episodes that ran on Gametap. I was thinking that the Hood of Illusions HN could be a bit different. Instead of just covering one segment of the story, we could perhaps summarize the whole thing in a kind of "pageant" form. Instead of a "host" we would have one or two "narrators" who would frame the story for us and summarize events between major scenes. Whenever the narrators reach an important, critical event in the story, the event could be acted out by Gray Hats playing the parts of official characters like Cate or Watson, and the two narrators acting as generic explorers in the scene. So, for example, in a scene depicting the Wheely rescue mission, Marie, Cate, and Engberg would all be present (played by Gray Hats), doing dialog similar to what was actually spoken during that time, and the narrators would have scripted lines representing explorer reaction. Scenes like this could be done for key events like the first close-up Bahro appearances with the corpse in the Sanctuary, the return of Phil and later Watson, the hostile Bahro coming to the cavern and Yeesha's appearance to save the explorers.

I'm more than willing to write a script for something like this--writing is basically my favorite thing to do anyway--but I'm interested to hear what everyone else thinks of this idea. I'm also interested in hearing what OTHER ideas people have. So, please feel free to post with input and feedback.

MOULa KI#237576

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Sounds like fun. We'll need a list of what you'd like well ahead of the event. Some things might take a little practice :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:27 am 

This sound awesome, whatever the details will be. The only thing I ask is that it PLEASE not be held in the middle of my night. I'm ok with it starting at 11 in the evening, but I really need to get some sleep between midnight and one at the latest. 11 in the evening is 15:00 KI time. I would soooo much like to be at one of these events, but they're almost always at 18:00h cavern time, which is 2 in the morning in my timezone and thus completely unworkable for anybody with a life in the mornings... I'm sure other european time-zone explorers would also be very happy to be able to attend.

"All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth." - Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:56 pm 

Narameh wrote:
This sound awesome, whatever the details will be. The only thing I ask is that it PLEASE not be held in the middle of my night. I'm ok with it starting at 11 in the evening, but I really need to get some sleep between midnight and one at the latest. 11 in the evening is 15:00 KI time. I would soooo much like to be at one of these events, but they're almost always at 18:00h cavern time, which is 2 in the morning in my timezone and thus completely unworkable for anybody with a life in the mornings... I'm sure other european time-zone explorers would also be very happy to be able to attend.

AFAIK we're generally planning on things being about noon KI-time, which is the same time as the All Guilds Meeting (though of course we'd do things on different weekends)

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:52 am 

PaladinOfKaos wrote:
Narameh wrote:

AFAIK we're generally planning on things being about noon KI-time, which is the same time as the All Guilds Meeting (though of course we'd do things on different weekends)

Yuy, I'm so there!

"All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth." - Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:48 pm 

@Paladin--are you talking about Hood of Illusions events in general? I didn't know there was a regular time already set for events.

MOULa KI#237576

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:21 pm 

Yeah, that's for events in general - it's a time that should work for all the Illusionists. Even special events need to work around our schedules

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:53 am 

Sorry for the delay--for the past week and a half or so I've had a very bad gastro-intestinfal flu.

Ok, so I just sent a private message to OHB in order to start discussions about what the exact nature of the event will be like. Right now I am basically planning out a pageant summarizing the GT MOUL story unless someone has a better idea. I've written about half of a possible script and when I'm done, I'll pass it on to OHB to hand out to the rest of the Hats (for obvious reasons, I don't want the script to be publicly available before the actual event).

I'm going to try very hard to keep the script short enough for an hour or so, maybe an hour-and-a-half tops.

One thing I need to know is, how many Gray Hats do we think could be available at once to play parts in the pageant?

MOULa KI#237576

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:05 am 

Carl Palmner wrote:
One thing I need to know is, how many Gray Hats do we think could be available at once to play parts in the pageant?

I'm guessing if this is a planned event almost everyone can be on (5 people or so). There are methods that could be used to have Grey Hats control multiple characters. I'm thinking people with an Uru Explorer and a PlasmaClient running, or a pile of volunteers that we warp around and have play anims. I mean, with enough time we could probably get willing volunteers to walk around and say stuff automatically in a scripted (literally in the code sense) type of way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:54 pm 

Ok, awesome. Hopefully I can finish the script tonight. Then I'll send it to Paladin since I just remembered OHB is out of town. When does he get back btw?

MOULa KI#237576

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Carl Palmner wrote:
OHB is out of town. When does he get back btw?

Tomorrow.
(Texas Independence Day, btw)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:00 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm back. Carl, I'll have a look at your PM once I get settled in :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]