It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 1:31 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:29 am 

Today, at about 19h KI, some of us were chatting in the City as we were suddenly transported to the Rooftop of the Takotah, the one with the blue wings. It was an unique experience.
I was so impressed that I didn't think clearly at that very moment, but started to take photos and enjoy the sights. Then I had to run to one of my Pods because it was Time.

Only later I thought I should have thanked the Grey Hat who brought us there, but it was too late already.

So I would like to at least say it here, and maybe he/she finds it: Thank you! It was awesome :))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:07 am 
Obduction Backer

Rock, did this happen in the Public City?

Dadguy :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

While I must admit, this would have been very cool to experience... something tells me that some people might take this in a different way. If this was in the public Ae'gura (which I'd think it were), I feel like the Grey Hats would actually be the most angered (since this directly violates their rules).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have received reports that this did occur in the public City, which is forbidden in the MOULAgain game. We don't know whom is responsible. My job is to moderate the forums (not enforce rules of the game) and the reason I asked the question was so I could decide whether to move this post to the Hood of Illusions area or leave it here.

This isn't the first time folks have been breaking the rules; I've seen it happening a number of times.

Please refer to the RAWA announcement regarding the rules.

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24068

Cheers,

Dadguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:11 pm 

This was definitely NOT a grey hat.

As I've said before, hacking the MOULa servers is not that difficult. All we can do is try to encourage people to take it to the fun house.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:42 pm 

Sorry, I thought it was a Grey Hat. Of course, I can't be sure of that.

I really don't want to cause any problem to anyone, on the contrary - my intention was to thank someone for the experience that I perceived at that moment as something nice, as a sort of a special gift, a privilege.

As an average player, I am also unaware of the rules concerning the special effects. I have been in the Fun House several times so I naturally thought this experience was something similar.

I am sorry if I have triggered - unwillingly - any action against somebody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:03 pm 

don't be sorry, rock. you did a good thing. unauthorized hacking is bad for everybody and if the culprit(s) can be caught, so much the better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Firesign wrote:
don't be sorry, rock. you did a good thing. unauthorized hacking is bad for everybody and if the culprit(s) can be caught, so much the better.

Indeed. Don't be worried. I suppose this is just a bigger push to figure out how to get people all into TFH's Ae'gura instance so people can see this and feel better about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

yeah. it's nice that you would thank somebody. others, though, might be more likely to be preturbed by such a thing.

that is why hacking is limited to the fun house and GOI hoods so that those who wouldn't take a liking to it need not be exposed to it and so that those who enjoy the hacks can go someplace where the hacks need not disturb others.

as greateful as you are, hacking shouldn't take place anywhere other than where it is designated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:36 am 

You did the right thing bringing it up, rock. I just like to be clear when I point out things that aren't the Grey Hats - there are unfortunately some people who will jump at the chance to villify us, so I try to be as explicit as possible. Please don't take it as any sign of me (or any other grey hat) having taken offence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:42 am 

Thank you guys, I rest reassured :)

I have joined the MOUL community only last December, so I may seem naive in some aspects of the online Gaming and the Forum; however I am not a total newbie since I've played before all the Myst games several times offline since mid-Nineties, so I don't think of myself as a complete fish*.

Cheers and hope to meet you soon up there :)!
R

*(in Catalan and Spanish argot, fish= someone who doesn't have a slightest idea on something)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:17 am 

So you mean that since all hacking tools are available out there is it that easy for anyone to just mess up with the game whenever they want and whatsoever part of it they want? :shock:
That sucks.

edit: RockArdemar do you have any picture to share from this incident? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:54 am 

adi wrote:
So you mean that since all hacking tools are available out there is it that easy for anyone to just mess up with the game whenever they want and whatsoever part of it they want? :shock:

No. There aren't the necessary tools out there (at least not publicly). creating those tools is relatively simple. I'll go into more detail of what is and isn't public and what it means for Uru hacking this Saturday, at the Hood of Illusions event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:58 am 

Good to know that, thanks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:04 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm quite interested in that event as well. I hope I don't miss it. It should clarify a similar question I have.

also, despite peoples objections to this practice (it's bound to happen which is fine) no one should approach any issues defensively (or aggressively)

and whatever your gratefulness is worth towards whomever is responsible, whoever it is need to be aware of the limitations.
i.e.: you're saying "thanks for the fun" but we're saying "but keep it within the bounds that are set"

that's a nice way of putting it.

i do hope, however, that any undesirable sort of hacker wouldn't be a threat to uru live.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next