It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:02 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:05 pm 

Main_Avvie wrote:
and whatever your gratefulness is worth towards whomever is responsible, whoever it is need to be aware of the limitations.
i.e.: you're saying "thanks for the fun" but we're saying "but keep it within the bounds that are set"

Certainly. Your comments have given me insight to other dimensions of the matter, that I wasn't aware of. However cool the thing may have seemed, it is not ok to break the rules. I agree.

adi wrote:
RockArdemar do you have any picture to share from this incident?

I do, as a matter of fact:

I hope I'll be able to meet you all tomorrow :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:19 am 

Thanks for sharing them! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:03 am 
Obduction Backer

hi

Everyone to the roof top.

It happened again last night (I didnt have a look to KI time, sorry) and to the same place. No more trouble than just being up there but anyway...

Membre du quartier Mystpedia - KI 9392
Alts : EG Jan (gone) / Sleeper Jan KI (coming soon)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:05 am 
Obduction Backer

uh oh... somebody needs to get in touch with this guy and make him aware of our boundaries and guidelines...

i s'pose our resident gray hats are working on this...

he let's himself in and doesn't bother to check on how he's expected to behave? how'd he end up here anyway?
if this becomes a continuing issue the gray hats should work on a means to referr "guest" coders to RAWA's terms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:04 pm 

If one of us is in the city when it happens, we might be able to figure out who it is. maybe. And if one of us does figure out who's doing this, we'll point them to the rules and ask them to behave. That's all we can do. We don't actually have any authority.

But in the end its not our job to police Cyan's servers. Saying we are somehow responsible for taking care of this hacker is not just incorrect, it implies that if the illegal hacks continue we somehow support them. No one has made that implication in this thread yet, but I want to end that line of thought right now before we get that far.

If you really think the Grey Hats should be responsible for this sort of thing, go ask RAWA to make one of us a ResEng :P

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
PaladinOfKaos wrote:
If you really think the Grey Hats should be responsible for this sort of thing, go ask RAWA to make one of us a ResEng :P

Don't think the thought hasn't crossed my mind, and probably that of others, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

no authority, sure. responsible for it? not necessarily except by your own initiative. i never implied that the grey hats are bound to any responsibility. in fact, my words clearly state otherwise. they are carefully assembled for the reasons of uptmost clarity. still, if rules exist, they must be enforced by someone, otherwise having rules is rather beside the point.

i only wish to appeal as to how matters such as this might be addressed either voluntarily or by those who are bound to a responsibility to enforce the rules.

in short... what can be done about it?

though having a few resengs here and there might not hurt. i hear the pay is in pellet points though.

i don't think getting josseled around a bit in the public instance is quite worth this level of speculation however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:07 am 

PaladinOfKaos wrote:
If one of us is in the city when it happens, we might be able to figure out who it is. maybe.

You might consider having one avatar in the City while you're busy doing stuff in the Fun House, I've got the impression that the person we're looking for is choosing those specific times to act.

Main_Avvie wrote:
in short... what can be done about it?

Nothing, Cyan only can. But we can ignore the guy, he would only get discouraged by the lack of attention he's getting or try to do something "worse" and eventually get in trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:17 pm 

A healthy community can be self regulating, like in a small town in the middle of nowhere where every body knows every body else. Secrets get around fast and every body knows who's doing what. At the same time the people of this small town know that its better that somethings are dealt with behind closed doors. Knowing that shaming the individual at fault may only make things worse. At the same time every body in this small town knows that the situation will be dealt with appropriately, and resolved as quickly as possible.

Again this is a time where minor conflicts need to be put aside so that the situation at hand can be dealt with. and hay we can always get back to the minor conflicts after we have resolved the situation. If two sides of a debate have a common goal its best they work together to meet their common goal and put their debate aside for later.

E=mc2
Energy = Milk Coffee 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

adi wrote:
But we can ignore the guy

or simply consider that the issue is relatively minor and not really worth addressing in any significant degree of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

PaladinOfKaos wrote:

I believe there is a need for volunteer ResEngs. Why Cyan doesn't do that already is beyond me, seeing how they trust you guys with the hoods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

dragossh wrote:
PaladinOfKaos wrote:

I believe there is a need for volunteer ResEngs. Why Cyan doesn't do that already is beyond me, seeing how they trust you guys with the hoods.

I think this was actually a joke... Note the :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Sometimes people indicate they're joking simply because they don't expect others to take them seriously, but they want to get the idea out there. So... the idea is out there, now. The question is: would any of the Grey Hats seriously be interested in doing this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

No

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:45 pm 

No. Nein. Nyet. Negatory. Not gonna happen. Wouldn't be prudent.

EDIT: In all seriousness, the grey hats would need a huge staff to do this and I personally would rather the grey hats do fun things in MOULa.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next